cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get this message - "Camera - Warning Recording Fail"

Highlighted
Patron

Anyone get this message - "Camera - Warning Recording Fail"

There is no doubt Epic video is much better than Evo and as good as iPhone4. However, I keep getting this "Camera - Warning Recording Fail" message while shooting video (720p mode). It is on and off for this message to come up, and I would say it's about 2 out 10 time chances. When the warning message come up, the video footage is still there but up to that point. I am wondering this problem is cause by the slow output rate of SD card? Is anyone know what class of the SD card that come with the Epic phone and the spec of the maximum output rate at 720p? And anyone else has this problem? Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Anyone get this message - "Camera - Warning Recording Fail"

I have had that happen once as well and like you, I suspect it is the class of the SD card.  I haven't looked at what mine has in it yet, but that could be the issue.

Highlighted
Patron

Thanks for the feedback. I use Softpedia to test the speed of SD card, and it shows the average of 1.3M per second and 1.4M max for the output. If that is accurated, then this factory SD card is not even class 2. The 720p footage I shot was averaging 1.475M per second, that is probably why it keeps failing. Can someone from Samsung or Sprint give us the spec of SD card speed and the 720p recording minimum requirement?

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

I'm checking into it.  I've recorded a few minutes of HD 1280x720 video w/o problem.

I'll try a longer recording and see if I can get it to fail.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

Well, that took a whole 30 seconds.  'Ping! Recording Failed'.

Sigh.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am going to have to try a different SD card to see if that is really the culprate.  I needed an additional one anyway but will purchase a faster one for the phone and use that one for something else.  I'll let you know what I find.

Journeyman

yea, same thing happened here, i restarted phone then it worked, but has happened more than once.

Highlighted
Patron

RussD, did you have a chance to test with a higher class SD? And how did it go? I am on my second Epic and still getting this message on and off (only when shooting 720p). Why can someone from Samsung or Sprint post the spec for the minimum speed requirement for the SD card for recording 720p?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not yet, a new SD card in that size is quite expensive right now in the higher speed classes.  I will sometime soon, but as of yet have not tried it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've had my Epic for about a week and a half, and I got that message several times when trying to take the 720p HD movies (usually failed at around 30 seconds to a minute) and wondered what the problem was. I think the problem likely is the slow SD card as others have suggested. I opened my phone up and took out the 16 GB SD card that Samsung included with the phone and I found that it is a class 2 card, slowest speed SD card and gives you 2 MB/sec speed (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Speed_Class_Rating). I read elsewhere that it is recommended that you get a class 6 to shoot 720p HD video, and minimum class 4 (see http://www.computerforum.com/159957-how-fast-hd-720p-video-recorded-onto-memory-card.html). So it seems pretty clear the slow SD card is the problem. And to test this, I took out the included 16 GB card and put in an 8 GB card that I used in my old Samsung Moment (it was a class 4 card from Kingston) and then I tried taking a 720p HD video and I was able to do this without problem (stopping at about 3 minutes 15 seconds). Thanks for the el cheapo slow SD card Samsung!

Anyway, I really like this phone except for one thing, the photo quality seems awful. The HD video is great, and I don't mind that the camera is only 5 MP, but I was hoping for better quality. The photos seem worse than my old Samsung Moment's photos, almost always very blurry and ugly looking for indoors shots with significant pixelation and noise (outdoors in bright light seems okay though). What do others think about the photo quality of the Epic? Is this just to be expected on a smart phone? While I wasn't expecting dslr quality, I did hope the photo quality would be similar to a basic point and shoot camera, and that I wouldn't have to lug a camera around too, the Epic would suffice for casual shooting; but the quality seems significantly worse.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been having this problem since I got my Epic (recording failing on highest video resolution).  After discussing it on another site, someone suggested I backup and reformat the stock SD card.  I did this about a week ago and haven't had a failure since (I've recorded several times up to 10 minutes since reformatting).  Maybe give this a try and see if it works for you.  If I start getting failures again, I'll definitely try investing in a class 6 card.

I also agree that the video quality is outstanding while the still picture quality is mediocre at best.  There are several sites that have done camera comparisons between the high-end Android phones and the iPhone, and the Epic comes out near the bottom.  It's especially telling if you can find comparision pictures where they zoom in on the images -- the pics taken on the Epic are very soft/blurry compared to the iPhone and other high-end Android phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I had read various reviews of the Epic's camera as well. Interestingly, some sites liked the Epic's camera and thought it was very good, but others didn't. Most said it was fine it bright light/outdoors, but bad in low light.

I've also been reading about an app called Vignette that can replace the stock camera app. It has a lot more effects and options, and the key thing is it might take better pictures. Vignette users report that it creates pictures with larger file sizes, so it seems it is doing less jpeg compression of the images which could result in a better image. Anyway, I'm probably going to try out Vignette (it costs about $4) and see if it helps. Anyone else tried Vignette? What do you think of it? Does it take better pics on the Epic?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat