cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE

Journeyman

Sprint is definately still the better buy and a lot of the other wireless companies are also charging the $10 extra fees for data services and you don't get unlimited data!

Journeyman

Boost actually uses the VERY outdated Nextel network; there's no 4G option and I'm not even sure you'll get 3G on it, probably more like 2G.

Virgin Mobile uses the Sprint network.

With both of these pre-paid carriers, though, the phone options are VERY limited ... There's ONE Blackberry and ONE Android-based phone on Boost; I'm not even sure Virgin has smartphones.

Journeyman

Re: BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE YOUR CELL TO A NEWER SMARTPHONE

I wanted to point out that it is not always people who "want" to upgrade. I have a Samsung Moment which I love except for the fact that the charging port becomes loose after 3-6 months of use and no longer charges. Now after 15 months locked into a plan I have a choice of upgrading to an Epic for $150 and $18 activation fee. I am willing to do that but I was also told that the plan would require me to pay $10 more a month or $240 more for the next 2 years.

That is $408 over 2 years for the upgrade and I do not benefit from 4g in my area. The Epic is a great phone and I would love to have it for $168 but the Moment is fine for my needs.

In any case, I have insurance because of problems with the Moment so I spent $100 and am receiving a refurbished Moment with a 12 month guaranty. I wonder what Sprint will do at the end of my contract with them? If they raise the rates, I may check out Virgin Mobile. They seem to have two Android phones. Too bad though as I am a long time customer of Sprint.

Journeyman

I'm about to call Sprint myself.  I too am a Sprint Premier Gold customer north of 10 years.  I received my upgrade phone Motorola Photon 4G two days ago. I tried to activate it online last night, only to see a message stating that I need to change my plan.  FOR WHAT?  I've been on the Everything Data 1500 shared plan for years, and there was no discussion of a plan change with any of the numerous CSRs I have spoken to on the phone.  I was assured that my current plan is appropriate for this phone.  I fully expect to activate this phone on my long-established account with NO impact on my plan whatsoever.  There are NO grounds for that. I, like several other customers on this forum, have a SERIOUS problem with the way in which Sprint is imposing this "$10 Premium Data Fee" when I've been paying for UNLIMITED data all along.  In fact, I am paying for very minimal usage of this feature. I believe that this shady practice comes under the banner of  DECEPTIVE business practices and I would be well within my rights at this point to TERMIMATE my contract on BOTH my lines WITHOUT worrying about an "early termination fee" which Sprint would have NO right to collect under these circumstances.  Furthermore, I decided to check out the plan offerings on this website, just to see what's really going on here; only to discover that my current plan doesn't even exist anymore.  When did THAT happen - when I decided to upgrade my phone? I have received NO communication WHATSOEVER about changes to, or total obliteration, of my plan as it exists at this moment prior to ordering this Photon 4G ONLINE this past Sunday via the email I received from Sprint. I think I'm going to send this Photon 4G back and cancel my service altogether.  You people are UNBELIEVABLE.

Journeyman

The point is not an extra $10 ... the point is that if a customer has been on a plan that includes UNLIMITED data, there is NO justification WHATSOVER for charging additional money because of an upgrade to a so-called "smartphone".  It's unethical and deceptive.

Journeyman

There shouldn't be any limits on data usage if you're paying for unlimited data.  And Premier Gold customers shouldn't even have to have this conversation. 

Journeyman

I agree with you completely.

Journeyman

JanlumentI56:

I can certainly understand how this $10 dollar fee would come as a surprise.  This is something that I experienced with AT&T when I switched to my Galaxy S smart phone.  Previous to having this smart phone I had a BlackJack II, this was also considered a smart phone.  However it certainly wasn't nearly as smart as my Galaxy S!  The Simply Everything plan is a wonderful plan for people whom are heavy users and don't want the worry of going over their mins, txt, or data.  Something that must be realized however is that smart phones use way more data than regular phones.  If you where to compare what you used previously to what you have now you will see a huge incline in the data usage.  Smart phones are always running, and always updating information in the background even when the screen is off.  This isn't true however if you have certain 3rd party applications, such as Juice Defender.  We have received very little information from Sprint as to why they believe this fee needs to be added.  I received no real answer from AT&T either, other than "Now you have a smart phone."  My bill is already so high, why must I pay another $10.  What I believe is that this fee is actually going towards the companies to help them expand their 4G service area's.  If you have taken a look at the national coverage map on sprint.com and click the 4G tab you will find that many area's are not covered.  I don't believe this is just another way for the carrier to so called 'stick it to us.'  However one thing I can assure you is that if you switch carriers and you still have a smart phone you will still find an additional fee associated with having a smart phone.  You didn't mention if you are a Sprint Premier customer, however with the length of time that you have been with us it would be safe to assume that you are.  What you can do is call us and find out.  If so you have special offers that non-premier customers have.  Such as being able to upgrade your phone once a year at the promotional rate.  If it was me I would weigh the differences and research before you make a change.  I hope this helps you understand a little more.  I am sorry that you had this unexpected charge.

Journeyman

I recently switched from AT&T to Sprint. I have no issues with either carrier. However, I do pay an extra $20 month for services. I could complain like most of you are doing, But, why? Sprint is still cheaper in the long run. I was paying extra data charges EVERYTIME I used the net with my past carrier, and half the time I couldn't connect. And, would still be charged for attempting. At least with $10 data add-on I know I can have peace of mind when surfing the net on my Epic.

Highlighted
Wizard

I agree with you ms.heathermichele. I am so tired of everyone complaining about this when it is only $10 extra per smartphone and way more expensive for AT&T and Verizon and they don't have unlimited anymore. Sprint isn't talking of changing this anytime soon either.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.