cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera & Music questions - Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Camera & Music questions - Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

What about the playback of locally stored Music on the SDcard skiping every time the phone changes networks or 3G 4G is dropped, Turning ON OFF Airplane mode, GPS ON OFF lock locking will also make it skip. The stock music player does this as well as PowerAMP & all other 3ed party players.

What about the camera sounds? is there going to be a mute setting added back? why was mute camera sounds removed in the first place?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Paul_8700 wrote:

What about the camera sounds? is there going to be a mute setting added back? why was mute camera sounds removed in the first place?

The same camera app is used on several Samsung phones...including those in other countries. In some countries there are laws requiring cell phone cameras to always make a sound when a picture was taken. So I would guess this is probably why it was removed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply. I was kinda hoping a Sprint employee would answer

As for the system/ patition yes you do have a point about space. I just dont like blotware installed on my stuff. There is nothing wrong with the apps per say other than some of them autorun at boot, If a Dell, HP, etc... PC comes with boltware preinstalled, its vary EZ to remove & DOES not REQUIRE voiding your WARRANTY sprint/samsung only leaves us one way to go & remove it. That requires volding your warrenty to get rid of it. (but i'm not going to get in to that or how to do it hear)

Another thing about the apps being on the system partition is if they have any updates at all the original apk in system/app/ will stay there occupying space & the newley undated app will install to /data/app/ taking up approximately double give or take depending on how said app works. The same thing happens every time Google updates the Market now that its Google Play Store you still have com.android.vending.apk in system/app/ the new Play Store is now in /data/app/ as com.android.vending-2.apk or com.android.vending-1.apk depending on how many times it has been updated.

Have you heard of an MTD partition map? its possble to do that on an Epic. And add a little over 100MB to the Data partition by cutting down the size of the cache & system partitions. (agian this is not the forum for that) And as for wiping the whole phone yes, BUT lossing your data NO. its vary simple to wrinte a script that will back up to the SDcard all partitions before resizing them then copy the data back after the resize is done. I agree with you 100% that this would NOT be a good option for an OTA update. But that just brings up one more thing that get me about sprint, Samsung Kies could do a nice job of accomplishing the above but sprint wants our phones locked out of using that software. The vary software the makers of our phones made.

As for the Laws in Korea & Japan

people blame the dumb laws in japan & Korea witch is bs! Samsung/sprint are just plane LAZY! AFAIK OUR U.S. phones WiMax does not work there it only works in the Ukraine & hear in the U.S.A. So who cares what laws they have. THE PHONE DOES NOT WORK THERE and hears a big reason why they should not care about Korean law it's the keyboard it is NOT IN KOREAN OR Japanese! Furthermore in Japan you can use WiFi Ch 12 & 13  chanels so by that logic why cant we use them hear? I know the answer its cuz we FCC laws hear Ch 1~11 Do you see what i'm getting at? If we want to start playing the "its a law some where game" how about they block Bible apps on the phone because the bible is illegal in some country?

@coasterphotos what phone/s use the same Camera.apk?

instead of making a new Connections Optimizer why cant they fix real bugs? maybe after they have fixed 99.999999% of the bugs they could spend time programing a new app like Connections Optimizer.

Message was edited by: Paul_8700 typeOs fixed

Highlighted

Paul_8700 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was kinda hoping a Sprint employee would answer

As for the system/ patition yes you do have a point about space. I just dont like blotware installed on my stuff. There is nothing wrong with the apps per say other than some of them autorun at boot, If a Dell, HP, etc... PC comes with boltware preinstalled, its vary EZ to remove & DOES not REQUIRE voiding your WARRANTY sprint/samsung only leaves us one way to go & remove it. That requires volding your warrenty to get rid of it. (but i'm not going to get in to that or how to do it hear)

Another thing about the apps being on the system partition is if they have any updates at all the original apk in system/app/ will stay there occupying space & the newley undated app will install to /data/app/ taking up approximately double give or take depending on how said app works. The same thing happens every time Google updates the Market now that its Google Play Store you still have com.android.vending.apk in system/app/ the new Play Store is now in /data/app/ as com.android.vending-2.apk or com.android.vending-1.apk depending on how many times it has been updated.

Have you heard of an MTD partition map? its possble to do that on an Epic. And add about a little over 100MB to the Data partition by cutting down the size of the cache & system partitions. (agian this is not the forum for that)

As for the Laws in Korea & Japan

people blame the dumb laws in japan & Korea witch is bs! Samsung/sprint are just plane LAZY! AFAIK OUR U.S. phones WiMax does not work there it only works in the Ukraine & hear in the U.S.A. So who cares what laws they have. THE PHONE DOES NOT WORK THERE and hears a big reason why they should not care about Korean law it's the keyboard it is NOT IN KOREAN OR Japanese! Furthermore in Japan you can use WiFi Ch 12 & 13  chanels so by that logic why cant we use them hear? I know the answer its cuz we FCC laws hear Ch 1~11 Do you see what i'm getting at? If we want to start playing the "its a law some where game" how about they block Bible apps on the phone because the bible is illegal in some country?

@coasterphotos what phone/s use the same Camera.apk?

instead of making a new Connections Optimizer why cant they fix real bugs? maybe after they have fixed 99.999999% of the bugs they could spend time programing a new app like Connections Optimizer.

The camera.apk on the Epic is part of Samsung's Touchwiz UI software package...so pretty much any Samsung Android phone with Touchwiz (which is most of them) will use it..or a slightly modified version to that phones specifc hardware. It has nothing to do with the phone itself since it is only sold in the US like you said...but the software IS used on phones in other countries.

If you don't like bloatware on your stuff then don't bother buying a phone from any manufacturer or provider...because they all do it and most likely always will.

I am aware of MTD and ways to get more space on the Epic but it comes down to keeping a majority of the customers happy...which would not be the case if you erased every single Epic on Sprint to repartition it to give users more space.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"slightly modified version" thats the point it is slightly modified they can with a few lines of code add mute back like it was when i first got the phone.

and if sansung is to lazy to do it. I bet one short email from the right person at sprint would change that in a day or less

are you reley defending them remving mute because they are to lazy to program a multi million unit selling camera apk for the U.S.?

The way the stock camera is not its really hard to take pics of your cat or Dog, a Sleeping baby etc.... Maybe in Japan they dont care about waking up a Sleeping baby?

Highlighted

No I'm not defending them, but I would be willing to bet a majority of Epic users don't care. I have people I work with that have the Epic and most are clueless about updates and what changes some of the updates have made...which I would be willing to bet is just like a majority of the users.

And I doubt emailing anyone at Sprint would get them to change anything.

Is it annoying it can't be muted? Sometimes. But I have much more important matters to worry about than to get pissed off over a sound on a phone. Since you seem to know about removing factory apps, MTD and such, then if it bothers you so much, search out the mod that removes the shutter sound because I would bet Samsung/Sprint isn't going to change it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

no i mean if sprint emailed samsungs dev team and told them to put mute back in. this is a sprint phone forum it is the place to bitch about sprint phones right.. and just becuz they have sold phones to clueless people ezcuse for half assing and not fixing really bugs like the music skiping.  what is this 1996 a discman with out esp

Highlighted

Paul_8700 wrote:

no i mean if sprint emailed samsungs dev team and told them to put mute back in. this is a sprint phone forum it is the place to ***** about sprint phones right.. and just becuz they have sold phones to clueless people ezcuse for half assing and not fixing really bugs like the music skiping.  what is this 1996 a discman with out esp

Yeah...good luck with that. It has taken them 4 months to get a fix for the phone crashing on incoming calls and you think they will do an update to put a mute function on the camera that a majority of the people probably didn't know even existed. (I just asked one of my coworkers...he didn't).

As far as the music skipping....that would be the perfect example of a bug that probably doesn't affect many people and to get Samsung to fix something, it first has to reported and by many people. I've had this phone since December of 2010 and never noticed an issue...and I use my phone a ton. But I've never done the exact steps to cause the problem either. Your post is the first I've ever heard of that problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I never hand the phone FC on my. I use my phone for music in my car. Just put some headphones on & walk away from your home wifi & you will hear th e skiping. After the GPS crap with android 2.1 di18 I gave up on them ever fixing any thing. Xda ftw 😉 btw sorry if this is filled with types this website is imposable to use with a mobile browser (boat browser)

Highlighted
Master

coasterphotos wrote:

Paul_8700 wrote:

no i mean if sprint emailed samsungs dev team and told them to put mute back in. this is a sprint phone forum it is the place to ***** about sprint phones right.. and just becuz they have sold phones to clueless people ezcuse for half assing and not fixing really bugs like the music skiping.  what is this 1996 a discman with out esp

Yeah...good luck with that. It has taken them 4 months to get a fix for the phone crashing on incoming calls and you think they will do an update to put a mute function on the camera that a majority of the people probably didn't know even existed. (I just asked one of my coworkers...he didn't).

As far as the music skipping....that would be the perfect example of a bug that probably doesn't affect many people and to get Samsung to fix something, it first has to reported and by many people. I've had this phone since December of 2010 and never noticed an issue...and I use my phone a ton. But I've never done the exact steps to cause the problem either. Your post is the first I've ever heard of that problem.

Maintenance Releases (aka software updates) are not released immediately after a fix is implemented, every MR has multiple fixes and security updates in it. And then have to be tested to ensure they don;t have any other abnormal issues that arise. Many times the small fixes are not disclosed because they aren't things you would notice as an end user (like changes that optimize network resource usage, etc.), or because they are security updates from the manufacturer and other devices may still be affected.

In the case of the Dialer/Phone app force closing on incoming calls, the cause was dicovered within a week or so and a workaround was posted here in the forums and a known issue was posted in our internal systems with instructions on the workaround until a permanent fix was deployed. The issue only occured if there were 6 or more "Reject Call with Message" messages setup, 5 is the default it comes with. A temporary solution was provided and the number of customers that were adversely affected was small, so the issue was not given a specific maintenance update, it was bundled into the next major MR release.

As for muting the camera shutter sound. This is a Sprint policy relating to photographic privacy concerns and is unlikely to change. The Sprint policy is for the shutter sound to be audible on all of our devices going forward.

For the music skipping there have been a few reports about it, but the Sprint and Samsung development teams have not been able to reproduce it and determine a root cause. Without the cause, it can't be fixed. There are numerous reasons this could be happening, and most of them do not involve the software on the phone, it could be the audio file itself, network coverage if the app needs to contact an outside source for anything (like song information), the SD card, a faulty card reader in the phone, an interfering application, a corrupted file on that particular device, etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cound you link me to this new policy about camera phones waking sleeping babys? lol

The music is of any format that the phone plays. Its not my files i have tested this over & over its a vary repetable bug. If you own an Epic 4G test it out your self with many files & sizes. as soon as the phone changes networks 3G to 1x, 1x to WiFi, WiFi to 3G etc.. it skips. I have tested with The stock touchwiz music player & powerAMP & a few others they all do the same thing. This is a vary well know bug on other phone forums around the web, This bug was not on Froyo & below it only started with android 2.3 EI22.

its feels to me that you think its ok to have this bug & your making up reasons as to why samsung & or sprints devs have failed to fix this. if samsung/sprint can't even update the OS with out braking the music then they need to hire some new devs.

Also i don't by this idea that updates have to be bundled. Dont get me wrong i'm all for testing & retesting agian. I have worked in R&D Labs on cell phone parts i know all about it. the problem IMHO is that sprint (and all U.S. telcoms) get in the way between the poeple who have the phones in there hand & the OEM samsung in this case. To say that a phone Dialer FC bug was fixed with in a week & it took 3 or 4 mouths of testing is hard to understand. What's wrong with having small update fixes when they are fixed? Like Microsoft does with there OS's whats wrong with using programs like samsung keis & the LG software updater? i could careless about an OTA update if the OEM or sprint fixed it why cant it be made avalable to those that understand technology.

Highlighted
Journeyman

halcyoncmdr123 wrote:

For the music skipping there have been a few reports about it, but the Sprint and Samsung development teams have not been able to reproduce it and determine a root cause. Without the cause, it can't be fixed. There are numerous reasons this could be happening, and most of them do not involve the software on the phone, it could be the audio file itself, network coverage if the app needs to contact an outside source for anything (like song information), the SD card, a faulty card reader in the phone, an interfering application, a corrupted file on that particular device, etc.

Regarding the music skipping issue, here's how to reliably reproduce it.

1. Ensure you have WiFi connected.

2. Start listening to LOCALLY stored music/podcast using your favorite app.

3. Walk outside of WiFi range and wait for 3G data to connect. Music will skip as the WiFi drops and 3G logs on.

It may also skip when switching in or out of 4G.

Again, this is locally stored music that doesn't require network connectivity for any reason. It acts like the network switchover takes so much CPU time that all other processes including music playback hang for an instant, several times per switchover. Perhaps the music codecs need higher priority?

And on another topic...6 WEEKS FOR A ROLLOUT? REALLY?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat