cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

I have the same problem.  I have spent the last 36 hours talking to multiple Sprint customer service reps that keep tell me to take it to a store for a hard reset... I did that earlier today and didn't work.  Took me almost an hour to reload all the apps and re set all my prefernces.

I have spoken to 4 Sprint customer service reps and they blame Samsung.  Called Samsung because my phone is still under warranty and they want me to send it in for a fix but get this...it will be gone for 4-5 WEEKS.  Not a chance.

Come to the forums and see it is the software issue that I have been telling them it is.  Call Customer service again and they again say this is Samsung's problem, not theirs.  No help, no answers and still a phone that can't receive phone calls or retreive emails.

I am in retail and if we treated our customers like this, we wouldn't have any.  I am so angry and so furstrated, it is beyond words.

BTW, deleteing the dialer and cashe don't work either.

Technically a software issue IS a Samsung issue. Samsung writes the software, not Sprint.

That being said, if a reset didn't fix the problem, then Sprint should replace the phone if you insist that it worked fine before the update.

Journeyman

Sprint will be replacing a LOT of phones then @ $35 per.  There a coupl other threads here and quite a few people are expiriencing the same problem.  Again I refuse to pay for a phone that is still under warranty.  They refuse to send a phone to me if I don't pay.  We are at an impass.

There are also other people that have said that a factory reset fixed the problem for them.

Your warranty on your phone is through Samsung, not Sprint. Unless you have their TEP plan...then it would be through Sprint. But since they are wanting to charge you $35, I'm guessing you don't. I believe within the first 90 days Sprint will handle warranty issues directly but after that if you don't have TEP, you deal with Samsung.

Journeyman

There is an additional thread.  many more are having the same issues, even after the factory reset.  My last call to Sprint, talking to a customer service manager said they now know it is a software problem and she said Samsung would be working on a patch.  She said she has worked there a year and 1/2 and usually these problems are fixed in the next day or two.  I am giving them the next few days then going at them again.

I understand this may be a Samsung problem, but I pay a bill to Sprint.  Again, I work retail.  If my cistomers are unhappy because of one of my vendors, I work to make it right with the customer... then make it right with the vendor.

Journeyman

I agree, regardless of who is at fault Sprint has the obligation to make things right for their customers, they are who we pay for service and it is their name, reputation, and service at stake. Their tech support should have tested this software update themselves before it was released or at the very least should now be putting significant pressure on Samsung to get this issue resolved immediately. I am extremely dissatisfied with Sprint's handling of this issue and if this is not corrected very soon I will definitely be searching for another cell phone carrier.

Journeyman

I am also not receiving any phone calls after I updated my phone on 01/23/12. next time I know to check the blog before i do any updates. I get a error " the process com.android phone has stopped unexpectedly. Please Try again." and the phone is ringing funny. The phone continues to vibrate after I hang up like it is still ringing. until I clear the error. then  it goes in and out of network. I have children and while at work this is the only what to get in contact with them this needs to be fix immediately. I think with everyone paying 10$ a month to have a 4 g phone we should have some better testing of updates before they are release. someone in quality should get fired.....

Journeyman

I got the update this morning.  I tried calling from my workline twice and so far I was able to answer both of those.  I'll be interested as the day goes on.  Seeing as how I thought I had no issues with EI22 only to continually uncover all of the same problems as everyone else as I went I don't have much faith.  I really like how this update was supposed to delete Asphalt and Quick yet the icons are still there just making a nice clutter which annoys me to no end.  I'll be going to sprint and best buy later to see about replacing my phone (my protection plan is through BB way better than Sprint's.) 

I was hoping to have this epic working nicely without rooting etc. so I could give it to my dad and get a new phone myself.  Him being new to android I really don't want to give him a modded phone since to avoid bugginess you have to tweak it here and there.  Unfortunately it seems the epic is not a phone that actually works without being tinkered with, which is quite sad.  It's kind of a disgrace to android when the phones don't even work right out of the box.

Journeyman

Same issue for me...force close with every incoming call. Very frustrating and I don't want to have to do a factory reset to correct this issue!

Journeyman

Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

First, I will try to restrain my frustration here.  I get  unbelievably frustrated when stuff like this happens...and then everyone  plays the victim game.  "Android pushed out an update" is not a valid excuse.  Nor is "Samsung is to blame."  In the end, time and time again it appears  Sprint has no quality control.  And to that matter, I am considering  legal action because I am losing real money with every missed phone  call.

Yes, I have the same problem.  I cannot answer incoming calls as of the update (yesterday).  I get the following message: "The process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly.  Please try again."  If you let it ring long enough, you get another error message about TwLauncher...and the phone rings indefinitely.

The first thing I did, like all of us, was a little research.  I  found two very active threads on this topic, and the "viewership" to  both is growing by the minute.  In fact, I called Sprint an hour ago,  and there are already 44 more views (1442 as of this moment).

Anyway, my first contact was with your typical overseas CSR who  followed standard protocol...and ultimately forwarded me to tech support  after 10 minutes (no comment).  From that point, I was on the phone for  63 minutes with a very nice Tech Support rep.  She acknowledged there  was an issue and that they're working on it.  We tried a soft reset  using my MSL code.  That did NOT work.  She then reset some stuff  related to my account that was ultimately sent back to my phone after  the next reboot.  That did NOT work.  She then researched if there was  an option to revert to the previous OS.  There is NOT an option to  revert.

In case you’re wondering, ##72786# (plus code) will get you the soft reboot which will NOT erase your apps or data.   She researched a ton of things (thank you again!), but to no avail.  In  the end she said I'd have to perform a hard reset:  ##786# (plus  code).  NOTE:  If you do a hard reset, back up your contacts onto your SD card!

Based on the information in this thread, a full hard reset WILL  work, but you'll lose everything (not really a valid option for me).

Anyway, she assured me that people are working to fix it and  there should be a solution pushed out shortly.  She also said that she  will update THIS THREAD as she learns more.  Her user ID is  "hello2robot" so keep your eyes out.

In the meantime...[at a loss for words actually].  It goes without saying that this in inexcusable.