cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Yesterday after my Samsung Galaxy received the new software update, I now cannot receive calls. Every time there is an incoming call, a message appears that say it is requiring me to “force quite” the application. Not only to I have to force quite the application, I cannot see who is calling, and the call does not appear in my call log. This was not a problem prior to the software update. Of course when I called Sprint, they were "unaware of this issue". [Go figure...aren't they unaware of most issues blatantly wrong with the Galaxy phones?!?] Their solution was for me to take my phone to the nearest Sprint store and have them reset the phone back to the state before the update. Other than swearing that I will NEVER by a Samsung phone again or stay with Sprint after my contract expires; my solution would be ensure that any update does not have such drastic negative impacts such as the inability to receive incoming calls! I have restarted the phone and that does not seem to alleviate this problem.

I know this is mostly a new issue but are others having this issue and if so are there is there a solution that can resolve this egregious error on the part of both Sprint and Samsung?

180 REPLIES 180
Highlighted
Journeyman

So your answer is to drive 30 miles... of which I will not be compensated for... when you guys could send me a fix like you did that stupid update that screwed up my phone in the first place????

Highlighted
Journeyman

I already have the shipping lable to send mine back.  Going to Sprint store after work for a loaner and will see if they can help me.  Can't be with out a phone for 5-7 days.

Highlighted
Journeyman

lilgeekygirl: bummer! thanks for the reply, though, it saves me time fumbling through google searches for info. besides contacts and pictures, is there anything else i can save/back up to my card or desktop? i copied all my files to my regular computer, but not sure what most of them are for!

Highlighted
Journeyman

LilyGeekyGirl - Your solution is not a satisfactory one.  As well, when I started to do a reset, I received a message stating that all the information on my SD card would also be wiped.  So... this is a complete and total bust for all of us.  Sprint is partnered with Samsung, so I wish everyone would stop trying to pass the buck on one or the other.  Equal responsibility should be claimed.  Have a beautiful day!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Very unhappy with this latest update/problem, luckily I removed the SD card and saved my photos, however, everything else was lost...not satisfactory service that everything had to be reset to factory defaults and now all my phone numbers are gone...

Highlighted

11JMGUADAGNOLI6, Which reset option did you use? The reset should not erase the memory card.

Highlighted
Wizard

@lilgeekygirl and all, if you go through settings to initiate the factory reset, there will be a check box on a subsequent screen to confirm the reset action.  The check box is if you also want the SD card formatted at the same time.  Do not select that check box otherwise your SD card will be wiped also.

Highlighted
Journeyman

They are trying to close this post down and saying it it spam.... as you can see... I have not used any language that is fowl and I am not advertising anything... PLEASE stop spamming this message SPRINT (I know it is u guys)... Please copy and paste as you would like...

Everyone... I just received a $25.00 credit... if  enough people ask for it they might fix things... hit them where it  hurts.. their wallets... it only took about 20mins on the phone with  customer care... I told them my phone SHOULD work... even if the apps  don't it should at least make phone calls AND receive phone calls... I  told them it was breach of contract... they authorized $25.00... I know  it's not much BUT according to my calculations, it would be about $31  since the update if they prorated it... my phone is STILL not fixed BUT at least there is SOME compensation... AGAIN... DON'T JUST VIEW THIS COMMENT... POST POST POST.... that way they can hopefully push a fix forward... and CALL and ASK for some money back for lack of service due to thier UPDATE (which had no warning of potential issues)... so they will be the ones losing time and money... not just us

Highlighted
Journeyman

LilGeekyGirl,

I used the tutorial on Sprint.com that walks us through the back up. If you need the link, I'll find it again later and repost.  As it is, I backed up my "contacts" to my SD card, but only one of several hundered were backed up!  Amazing!  (and not in the positive sense of the word).  (grins)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can't agree more, this is very frustrating and upsetting, but stop beating up the first level support, they can only do so much. I would recommend you send a message to sprint Managment, I love the Epic and I have no real problems with Sprint, yes service could be better, the big 4G promise that never was fully implemented etc. I would contact the board of directors. http://www.sprint.com/governance/board/

Let the board now your issues (professionally please, ranting raving etc is not going to get you what you want).

I am sure things will work out one way or another if you are calm and cool when you send your message.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, they would not let me access your message PinaColada7.  But I see you did repost it. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's see; six days of not being able to receive calls or voice mails unless i do a hard boot, and then i can only retrieve the voice mail messages.  This is a social type networking to voice our frustrations about the inability to get satisfactory service.  I highly doubt (m)any of us would rant and rave to the board of directors, without using couth, of course.  There are ways to rant and rave without acting belligerently. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat