cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Journeyman

After a hard reset 2 days ago and phone working fine it is now back to not receiving incomming calls.

Journeyman

Sadly, I now have the same problem. Phone updated this morning and phone locks up on incoming calls and says force close. I lose the call, but strangely my phone stays linked to my car's bluetooth and I also lose control of my car's computer (2011 Honda Pilot) without turning the phone off or the car off. After the last update, I lost text messaging sound notification and it only vibrates which I don't notice. I told my wife to call me instead and now I can't get her calls. This is a serious safety issue. I hate to do a factory reset since setting up the microsoft exchange for encrypted email for work was a nightmare. Hopefully there will be a fix soon. Otherwise I may have to buyout my contract and switch to verizon. I have had Sprint for 4 years, but this is the worst phone I have ever had for reliability and dropped calls. Just figured I would add my name to the list of customers with phone problems.

Journeyman

Uh...okay thanks. I may try that. However, my question was whether those of us having issues should offer you Sprint folks and your Samsung contact a bit more info given that:

1. previous posts by sprint reps have suggested that not everyone is having issues.

2. the issue is likely caused by a conflict with a downloaded 3rd party app

I'm just wondering if we gave you a list of our apps would that help you all locate the supposed "conflict culprit" or rule it out if there isn't one? If Talking Tomcat or one his buds is hijacking this update it might help ya'll find a fix faster, no?

I just hear lots of folks complaining but nobody offering up info to help you find a way to OTA fix what was OTA broken.

Just offering up a little cooperation action rather than everybody spitting at you guys on this thread for another week or so.

Happy to post mine if it will help.

Journeyman

Tonight was my 3rd trip to the Sprint Repair store.  A little background:  I got the update at noon on Sunday.  Since then no incoming calls and no voicemail.  Two facory resets and a cashe wipe and  I can now get incoming calls but  my email is not currently coming in.  After the second reset I didn't reload any of my apps or change any of the settings.  It is right out of the box - stock except for adding my email account... possibly the reason my email now isn't working?.  I have had 6 conversations to the Sprint customer service, three trips to the Sprint Store and 2 calls to Samsung.  I do have a return mail for Samsung to send the phone in because it is still under warranty.

J, a God, at the C, MN  store restored all 311 of my contacts that went missing and shared with me that Sprint has opened an investigation as of yesterday, Jan 23.  Once the investigation becomes a 'known issue' Sprint stores will be able to give customers new phones in exchange for the malfunctioning ones.  Until then, you will pay $35 for a new phone if you don't carry insurance, regardless if the phone is under warranty or not.  It is interresting to me that if Sprint knows enough to open an investigation, yesterday, why people are still getting the update this morning?  They know it is a problem and continue to roll out the update.

For now I am going to wait it out and see if this becomes a 'known issue'.  I can still use my Samsung return if I need to but don't want to be without a phone for 6-10 days.  I would rather a Sprint guy hand me one over the counter that I don't have to pay for.

Journeyman

Another victim here, two hours last night with three different sprint peeps. I thinl the PRL updates never really happen, but don't know WTH is going on. Circling June 1st on my calendar - contract over date - been a nice 12 years sprint - good luck with this whole cell phone company thing...

Highlighted
Journeyman

No update for me yet.

just a quick FYI if you factory reset.

you can view and restore the apps you ever downloaded by going to the Google Android Market on your PC, log in, click on "my library"  It will say they are all installed already, but you can just click and have them reinstalled. Its one at a time, but much faster than doing it from your phone.

Journeyman

Same Same here.  Never bothered calling anybody because I know the answer from a history of dead end calls to customer support.  I switched from Verizon and it's been the worst 18 months of phone service I have ever had.  Customer service is garbage, phone service is even worse...  Samsung and Sprint both at fault for not field testing their updates properly.  We aren't your lab rats Sprint.

Journeyman

how do we backup our texts? i'm a busy person who ahs people send me info in texts that i save there, and it woul dbe helpful to back them up; i don't even know what i might lose until i lose it and need it...

Journeyman

i'm thinking it might be bluetooth related? after doing the update monday, the bluetooth stopped working. says it's on but doesn't sync with my devices. then yesterday, bluetooth worked fine. then today, it doesn't. and today, stopped being able to receive calls, but can still make calls w/o bluetooth. is there a way to reset or uninstall/reinstall bluetooth? not sure if deleting devices and resyncing will be enough, but i'll try that. i don't have many apps, just a couple games, newspaper app, hockey app, weather channel, and out of milk shopping list. so not sure if it's app interference or what. i'm a little worried there are ppl who have done the reset and then have the same issue days later. if we do the factory reset, won't the phone once again search for updates? maybe that's why they have the same problem again? tomorrow is my only day off all month (don't know if techs work the stores on sundays, my only normal day off), so i have to decide in the next few hours what to do....

QCAZDad wrote:

Samsung and Sprint both at fault for not field testing their updates properly.  We aren't your lab rats Sprint.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It is nearly impossible to completely test software releases these days...for anything. There is no way the manufacturer can know what software or apps you will install on your device or what combination of settings you will use. Updates would never get released if they tried to test it to eliminate every possible issue. The update is EL30. Which means it was created on December 30th, 2011. The time between that and the release is the time it is tested. Sprint has alread said they test the updates on 100% stock phones...no additional apps...and they haven't been able to reproduce the problem.

Maybe instead of everyone coming in here and complaining, people could start listing apps and see if there is a common one between all the people having issues.

I personally know 3 other people with the Epic and none of them have had this issue...nor have I.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.