cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Yesterday after my Samsung Galaxy received the new software update, I now cannot receive calls. Every time there is an incoming call, a message appears that say it is requiring me to “force quite” the application. Not only to I have to force quite the application, I cannot see who is calling, and the call does not appear in my call log. This was not a problem prior to the software update. Of course when I called Sprint, they were "unaware of this issue". [Go figure...aren't they unaware of most issues blatantly wrong with the Galaxy phones?!?] Their solution was for me to take my phone to the nearest Sprint store and have them reset the phone back to the state before the update. Other than swearing that I will NEVER by a Samsung phone again or stay with Sprint after my contract expires; my solution would be ensure that any update does not have such drastic negative impacts such as the inability to receive incoming calls! I have restarted the phone and that does not seem to alleviate this problem.

I know this is mostly a new issue but are others having this issue and if so are there is there a solution that can resolve this egregious error on the part of both Sprint and Samsung?

180 REPLIES 180
Highlighted
Wizard

The device team and Samsung have identified a scenario with "reject call with message" that will cause this force close issue.  If you have more than 5 “reject call with message” messages set up, you may have the force close issue.  A “reject call with message” message is the message that you can send via text when you choose to reject an inbound phone call.  The default number of messages is 5; if there are more than 5 custom messsages the force close condition will occur.   

This issue will be fixed in the next software update.  As a temporary fix, delete the messages from the “reject call with message” message list. 

To do this, go to Menu > Settings > Call settings > Reject with message.  You will see the complete list of available messages and you need to ensure it contains no more than 5 entries.  If the list contains more than 5, choose the menu key and select “delete”.  You should see a select option box next to each message. Check the box next to the message that should be removed and select 'delete' one last time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That actually makes sense!  I reset phone Monday after update.  At that time I know for sure I had added custom messages to my "reject w/ message folder".  2 days later I added 2 messages to that folder.  Guess what, no incoming calls all day yesterday w/ force close.  Reset again last night and have not added messages to reject folder.  I get calls now.  2 resets though was brutal way to figure it out though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have never added a reject message and the issue happen to me.  Let's try again Samsung & Sprint.  I am ready to switch to another phone that is not a Samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I CAN RECEIVE CALLS NOW.  PLEASE READ.

I read dshoem01's post (#118) and thought "That's not my problem. I don't even know what a reject message is, so there's no way I have more than 5 of them set up."  I was wrong. 5 messages are set up by default on our Epic 4g's. I added another one, so my total was 6. I just deleted a couple of them and test my phone. The call came through. I could see the number calling, was able to answer it, and the call shows in my call log.

Please go through the path

Menu > Settings > Call settings > Reject with message

even if you think you know what this setting is, check it out anyways.  It was the magic trick that worked for my phone (at least for now), maybe it will work for yours.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Holy cr*p!  It worked!  I just answered for the first time in four days!  Of note:  when I went to the reject message page, there was an oddball message that made no sense...something totally unrelated and probably injected by the update.  Previously, I had six responses, but I noticed today this new one had somehow been added.

let's hope it continues to work.  Btw, NO reset here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This solution worked for my wife's phone just now after reading the post.  Thanks for the fix.  VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you for posting this information.  I missed the original.

I deleted all the reject messages preinstalled on the phone by (?), did a hard shut down, turned the phone back on, had my roommate call me from his phone, and ba bam!  After a short time of seeing a black screen (once the phone rang), I was able to see the contact and ANSWER THE PHONE!

Thanks to you and the original poster for communicating this fix!

Warm regards,

Jeanne Marie

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just noticed that with the update, the graphics for answering the phone have changed, but I no longer even have an option to reject the call with a message. Phone still working after hard reset, but it looks like you have found a solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG!  i read this entire thread last night, spent a couple of hours trying to copy files from the SD card, which is another problem from this update i'm sure..  i connected the phone to my laptop with a USB cable, after trying to copy one item to the laptop all my folders would be empty, seriously, on the laptop it showed that the SD card was empty.  I rebooted the phone, etc, etc still had the same problem.  Finally put the SD card in laptop and copied my files over...  also, when i removed my contacts that were saved on the SD card (too many versions and wanted to make sure i had all my contacts in case i ended up doing a hard reset) , my contacts ICON disappeared... All this to say I bet there are more problems related to this update than anyone suspects...

As for me, i really wish i had seen the last few posts before i called Sprint 40 minutes ago and let them talk me into doing a factory reset!!!!  Funny how the tech didn't offer up this solution...  i would have much rather done a 'this might fix it' that be sitting here with a bare bones phone and all my messages, etc lost!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Took phone in, I had same problem. The tech said i had too many "reject with text" choices. they only allow five, he deleted all but 4 and it works fine now. Also saw this fix somewheres else

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG that worked!!!!! had 6 reject with message options, deleted some (who really says "i'm at the cinema" anyway, lol) and it worked! on a funny side note, though, the phone was ringing and with the new graphics couldn't figure out how to answer it. kept hitting the green phone image and didn't realize you have to drag it to the picture of the contact. lol. i was seriously 5 minutes from going to my sprint store and sucking it up for the reset and figured i'd check this forum one more time.

thank you dshoem01!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Happily the "reject call message" fix was the solution. I'm so glad I didn't have to do a hard reset. Thank you!!!

How much do you want to be that somebody at Samsung or Sprint, just got the update to THEIR phone and then couldn't answer calls? LOL!

Maybe next time they should test this out on Samsung and Sprint employee phones before unleashing on the public.

Then they will have a proper "live" field test rather than just testing in a lab on factory phones. Just a suggestion... have a wonderful day everyone.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat