cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Journeyman

Yesterday after my Samsung Galaxy received the new software update, I now cannot receive calls. Every time there is an incoming call, a message appears that say it is requiring me to “force quite” the application. Not only to I have to force quite the application, I cannot see who is calling, and the call does not appear in my call log. This was not a problem prior to the software update. Of course when I called Sprint, they were "unaware of this issue". [Go figure...aren't they unaware of most issues blatantly wrong with the Galaxy phones?!?] Their solution was for me to take my phone to the nearest Sprint store and have them reset the phone back to the state before the update. Other than swearing that I will NEVER by a Samsung phone again or stay with Sprint after my contract expires; my solution would be ensure that any update does not have such drastic negative impacts such as the inability to receive incoming calls! I have restarted the phone and that does not seem to alleviate this problem.

I know this is mostly a new issue but are others having this issue and if so are there is there a solution that can resolve this egregious error on the part of both Sprint and Samsung?

Tags (2)
180 REPLIES
Journeyman

I just got the update a few hours ago and my phone is experiencing the same issue! I can't even play back my voice mail either so basically I have a phone that does not allow me to receive phone calls or hear voice messages..wth??! I also do not want to reset, is there another fix??

Journeyman

Right there w/ you.  Love / Hate with this phone is now Hate / Hate.

Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

Im sorry to hear about the issues that you guys are currently experiencing. I suggest a factory reset in order to correct this issue. A factory reset will cause you to lose all personal settings and any information stored to the phone will be lost as wellm but any thing saved to the memory card will not. If you wish to save you contacts to your memory card go to contact and press your menu key then select import/export then select export to sd card and then phone. Any contacts saved to google will restore one you set your gmail account back up on the phone. To factory reset your device, from your home screen press your menu key then settings then privacy then factory data reset. If you do not feel comfortable performing these steps on your own you may call customer service at 888-211-4727 (not from your sprint phone as we will need to troubleshoot it) or you may visit any local sprint store.

Journeyman

Will I get pushed updates to at least get back to Gingerbread?

It will not change your current software version, it will just fix any bugs that the upgrade created. If you wish to save your contacts to your memory card, go to your contacts press the menu key then import/export then export to sd card and phone. Any contacts saved to google will be restored once the email account has been added back to the device. To perform the factory reset, from your home screen press your menu key, from there select privacy then factory data reset. If you do not feel comfortable performing these steps on your own please call sprint at 888-211-4727. Be sure to call from a different phone as we will need to troubleshoot yours. Also you can visit any Sprint service and repair store.

Journeyman

Is there any plan for Sprint to resolve this matter without having to do a factory data reset? It seems a bit extreme that the only solution for a software upgrade is to factory reset your phone. If that continues to be the case, I am sure that most people would prefer just not to have the most updated software in exchange for a working phone!

A.B.S., At this time the only fix is the factory reset. Keep in mind that these software updates are not from Sprint rather the manufacture and google. Once another software update is released is when most of the bugs will be fixed. I apologize for any inconvience and denying the update is an option.

Journeyman

Same problem here!  Any timeline on the update to fix the update?  Somebody needs to step up to the plate, whether it be Sprint or Samsung, unless they feel there is a market for phones that can only make outgoing calls!

Try clearing the data for the dialer app. I don't know if it will work or not as I'm not having the problem, but it's better than doing a factory reset.

menu-->settings-->Applications-->Manage applicatoins-->All-->Dialer-->Clear data

Journeyman

Re: Cannot Receive Calls after 1/19 - Samsung Epic™ 4G Software Update - EL30

I have the same problem.  I have spent the last 36 hours talking to multiple Sprint customer service reps that keep tell me to take it to a store for a hard reset... I did that earlier today and didn't work.  Took me almost an hour to reload all the apps and re set all my prefernces.

I have spoken to 4 Sprint customer service reps and they blame Samsung.  Called Samsung because my phone is still under warranty and they want me to send it in for a fix but get this...it will be gone for 4-5 WEEKS.  Not a chance.

Come to the forums and see it is the software issue that I have been telling them it is.  Call Customer service again and they again say this is Samsung's problem, not theirs.  No help, no answers and still a phone that can't receive phone calls or retreive emails.

I am in retail and if we treated our customers like this, we wouldn't have any.  I am so angry and so furstrated, it is beyond words.

BTW, deleteing the dialer and cashe don't work either.

Technically a software issue IS a Samsung issue. Samsung writes the software, not Sprint.

That being said, if a reset didn't fix the problem, then Sprint should replace the phone if you insist that it worked fine before the update.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.