cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capacitive buttons issue

Highlighted
Journeyman

Capacitive buttons issue

I love my Epic but the capacitive button sensitivity issue annoys me so much.(Although this is the only problem)

I searched many forums and found so many people having the same issue.
I also found one thread on this discussion forum.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/208631#208631

Many of them solved this issue by getting a replacement.
So I went to the sprint service center, and what I was told was
"It's the way it works. Samsung intended it."

It's absolutely nonsense, because others got fixed, and Fascinate works fine.
(I didn't try another Epic 4G yet.)

What can I do now? Is there any way I can get this fixed?

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Capacitive buttons issue

Hello, seems i have the same issue with my newly purchased samsung epic. It was working wonderful for the first week but now has issues with the touch capacitative buttons on the bottom, Mainly the back, and menu buttons. I have read different things throughout the internet. Many who first bought the phone were able to return the phone for a "newer" model (i don't know how its labeled to be newer) but now it seems they don't allow you to exchange them anymore as i recently went into a sprint store which had the most horrible customer service. No one knew a thing even about the recent sprint update that corrected the gps location issue and standby battery times. I was amazed, at the man behind the repair table stating he had nothing to be able to update the software manually. But all in all i love this phone as it is my first android OS phone. But i do want some corrective action with this ongoing issue. Im hoping the recent android update to 2,2 that was pushed back for our phones will correct this issue. But until then i will have to hit up as many sprint stores as possible till someone exchanges it lol.

Journeyman

I've been living with the insensitive capactive back button until today.  Went into a Sprint store and explained that it's been like that since day one, only registers once in about three or four tries and that it's defective.  I was hoping to exchange for a new phone but since it was over 30 days they resisted and, instead, offered to replace the screen with new for $35 without insurance.  They ended up waving the $35 fee since it's new change and also because I kept insisting that it's defective to begin with.  Worried that they would mangle the relatively new phone by taking it apart but after they were done the back button is now reliable and luckily no damage to the phone.  The metallic frame on one side looked warped but it turned out they didn't snap it back together correctly and a fiber got under the camera lens but I think I should be able to vacuum that out.  In summary, your best bet is to swap it out for new if it's been purchased within 30 days otherwise return it and get another if they hassle you.  Second option is you're entitled to a new screen swap, if one store gives you hassle try a different, and resist paying the $35 fee if you don't have insurance as it's a defect.  Make sure you inspect your phone before and after they service it.

Journeyman

Very interesting, i have not read anywhere that they replace the screen as they did with your phone. If it fixed the problem then thats good. But i will continue to demand a replacement phone as i havent had service for even 2 weeks yet. My 30 days aren't up yet thanks guys and hope you resolve your problem somehow.

Journeyman

Gosh, I just reported this exact same issue in the "bugs" thread above.  My menu key is the one that bothers me the most.  The others ones usually work, but the menu key only works about half the time at the "most" and I am getting sick and tired of it.

So the exchange is the only way to go at the moment?  I was also hoping the Froyo would arrive soon and that it would solve this button issue.  Can I even expect that kind of improvement from a software update?

I had a bad experience with a Sprint store regarding an exchange for my husband's original Epic that had a loose keyboard.  I got it exchanged without any further issues by calling in and having a replacement sent to us, but I would really rather not do it again.

I had my Epic for 16 days now and although I love the interface and the phone itself, the menu key is making me start to dislike it.

Message was edited by: suninjang1

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat