cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chat with Samsung rep regarding Epic 4g 03-25-11 update release

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to the Samsung agent below, I am stuck with the "update" that I sincerely dislike. 

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Ronald'.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4380688250X

Ronald: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Abigail: Hi

Abigail: Sorry, I don't if I clicked the right model number

Abigail: I have the Samsung Epic 4g

Ronald: Its okay.

Ronald: Please go ahead with your issue.

Abigail: The update released yesterday for this model, I do not like it and would like to revert to the previous version

Abigail: is that possible

Ronald: I understand that you want to cancel update on your phone. Am I correct?

Abigail: yes

Ronald: Thank you for confirming.

Ronald: I am sorry to inform you that there is no such feature to cancel the update on your phone.

Abigail: What about a factory reset

Ronald: Performing a Factory data reset will erase all data from your phone, including your Google account, system and application data and settings, and downloaded applications.

Ronald: But it will not erase current OS.

Abigail: OS?

Abigail: oh operating system?

Ronald: Yes. I am sorry for confusion.

Abigail: So I am stuck with the new text messaging that looks like comic strip bubbles?

Ronald: Could you please be more specific about the issue?

Abigail: The text messaging system was straightforward, line by line. Now it's "talk bubbles", you know like on a comic strip

Abigail: and when it is in landscape, it is upside down

Ronald: Okay.

Abigail: And the battery drains even faster. My phone is less than one month old

Ronald: Text messaging is updated in 2.2.

Ronald: If you data services like Blutooth, wi-fi, there battery consumption will be more.

Ronald: *You use

Abigail: Even on standby it's draining faster, without using any services. Regardless, there is no way to go back to the old text messaging is that correct?

Ronald: Please turn off the data services(GPS, wi-fi, blutooth) after using it.

Ronald: Yes. Its not possible to go back to old text messaging.

Abigail: How often are these "updates" issued?

Ronald: We do not have any official information about these. When ever there is update available, you will be notified.

Abigail: So are they mandatory updates, or can I choose to not install them

Ronald: When ever there is update available, it is recommended to update.

Abigail: Boo.

Abigail: Thanks anyway, have a good weekend.

Ronald: You're welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Abigail: No thanks

Ronald: It was a pleasure assisting you. Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!

Chat Information Chat session has been terminated by the Samsung Agent.

7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

You probably can downgrade to an older build of Android, but doing so probably isn't officially supported.  If you search around, you should be able to find information on it -- a bunch of people were talking about how to go from EB13 to DI18 in order to get the EC05 update.  As for the messaging app, I think most people agree that it looks worse now than before.  AFAIK, there's nothing we can do to change that.  You can try a third-party app such as Handcent though, which may allow more customization.  As for power consumption, I think that's almost always been an issue.  You can search around for tips on this, too, but the general idea is to turn off as much as possible that's not being used (GPS, Bluetooth, WiFi, Auto-sync, etc.), dim the screen as much as possible, control the auto-sync settings on apps (e.g., Twitter, Facebook -- you can set them to only update manually), using dark backgrounds and skins on apps (the Epic's screen is supposed to take up less power displaying black), having a strong signal, and things like that.  Third-party apps can help control some of these -- ones like Green Power or Juice Defender will generally let you turn on and off WiFi and 3G data connections on a set schedule (e.g., on for 2 minutes out of every 30).  These can help as well, as will using your device less, if possible (of course).  I think I do almost all of these things, and can usually get through a work day without recharging.  It varies though; my signal at work is pretty bad most of the time.  I end up at around 30% power, but as soon as I get home I can charge it up, so it's not *too* bad (naturally, I wish it were better though).  I hope this is of some help to you.

Journeyman

Thanks Dronak01.  I am so frustrated with this.  This is my first droid phone, and I've only had it less than a month.  I have been totally in love with it, and bam... they changed everything I loved about it.  I always have wi-fi and 4g etc off, unless I am specifically using them.  Since the update, GPS is spotty where as it used to be dead on.  They changed the clock/alarm.  I set it, and it didn't go off this morning because I didn't do it right... derrrr.  At least it's a Saturday.  All the ringtones I've downloaded disappeared.  When I click a link online, it does not follow that link - it followes a different one.  The whole thing is shot.  The screen doesn't flip properly anymore - half the time it's upside down.  Someone suggested a calibration, which I did.  Now my screen doesn't flip landscape at all unless I am inside an application and flip it.  I'm ready to wipe the whole thing and start over.  But according to that guy ^^ up there, the operating system will never revert back to what it was.

I heard of handcent - is it good?  The photos looked like it was also bubble chat. 

Journeyman

I just installed Handcent because I didn't like the chat bubbles either. It is fully customizable. Much better.

Journeyman

I hate this new update. I went to the Sprint store to have the update takin off but that didnt work. They said since it changed the Firmware that there was nothing they could do about it. I asked them to give me a new phone untill the next update comes out but of course they wouldnt do talk. They said in about 3-4 months another update should come out to fix all of the problems this EC05 update is causing!!

I used to LOVE my Samsung Epic now I HATE it!!

Wizard

Wow, 3-4 more months to fix the problems with EC05?  We don't really know if this is true, because it seems like different reps say different things because they have different information.  However, if it is true, then two things:  (1) what are the chances that this rumored future update will be to Gingerbread/2.3? and (2) what happened to all that "rigorous testing" that was supposed to take place before Froyo was released?  Granted, a perfect, 100% bug-free release probably isn't possible, but they should be able to release something that doesn't have major problems.

Journeyman

Yep,  3-4 months is wht the rep said to me out here in Peoria, IL. But I figure with everyone complaining about the EC05 update that there should be an update way before that time, at least I hope so.

Journeyman

This was not an update, its more of a downgrade. I expected more people to complain about it but there aren't enough people so sprint doesnt care. I used to love my phone and now i hate it (like most of you). Slower than 3g but still paying the extra fee. Arghhhhh!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat