cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration changes after Android 2.2 update

Highlighted
Wizard

I pulled together this list from other threads on things that are different and/or may need to be reconfigured after updating to Android 2.2.  I've included those most frequently noted only and will try to keep this updated as I see any trends.  Note that in most cases, these include workarounds from other users, not official Sprint recommendations.  Thanks to those on the community that originally posted most of this info.

Phantom music

Sounds on text messaging may need to be reset; reselect the desired sound.

Phantom Music seems to be related to the "Smart Alarm" option under Clock however it is very difficult to make the connection.

Browser bookmarks

Crystal529 - Just learned this from someone else on a different page too. The bookmarks and history in the internet/browser app are still there but in a different spot. You have to click on the little icon to the right of the address bar that is a star with a grey and blue background.

Ringtones missing

Ringtones may need to be reset after the update

Pictures missing from Gallery

Copy images to a laptop

Reformat the sD card

Copy images back to the device

Swype word predicting - text messsaging

Go to locale and text> swype setting> word prediction.

Accessing Google Services

Password must be entered to access Google services

This is indicated by a red triangle with an exclamation point in the notification area

Pull down the notification bar, select the notification and enter the gmail password

Exchange Activesync accounts no longer appear

Re-add the account through Accounts & Sync 

Speak Incoming Caller ID Feature

tomdeaver - This feature was available on DI18 (Android 2.1) listed under the “Text-to-Speech” setting. Text-to-Speech has been changed to “Voice Input and Output” with the Text-to-Speech being a sub option. The Speak Incoming Caller ID feature was removed. There are, however, many apps available in the market that can add this feature back to your phone. Just search Speaking Caller ID in the market.

Geo-tagging

Cannot toggle on/off geo-tagging in the camera application

Dronak01 - turning off both "Use wireless networks" *and* "Use GPS satellites" in the Location and Security section of the settings menu

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/65472?tstart=0

Application  name changes

Dronak01 - Correct about the Alarm Clock app - it's just Clock now and has other features.  Not bad, it let me delete the world clock app I had downloaded, but I don't really like the timer, so I guess I'm keeping the app I have for that.  I've also noticed that Music became Music Player, and Browser became Internet.  I think there may have been one or two more, but I can't remember them off hand.  And I agree, it would be nice if these app name changes were detailed somewhere.

Screen rotation delay

jmusec - here's a fix for the delay from portrait to landscpe.  Go to settings<display<horizontal calibration BUT when you do the calibration, do it with the phone face down.  I used an inside corner of my kitchen counters. I'm not sure why this worked but it did!! One problem marked of the long list of bugs!!

Checkerboard on web browser

Only happening on the stock browser when

Sorry! The process android.process.media has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

Any workarounds?

Can't make calls direct from the call log
This can still be done by touching the log entry and swiping right to call, left to text.

Apps in the app drawer aren't in order or have empty spaces
With the app drawer open touch the menu button and then edit. Touch the menu button again and then a-z sort. Touch the menu botton again and then save. (Or you can also arrange them any way you want after selecting edit the first time.)

Apps in the app drawer (application icons) rearrange themselves
Any solutions?  

Silent/Vibrate ringer volume

The Silent and Vibrate modes have merged.  Silent Mode is still available.  .

To active Silent Mode at any time:

Settings > Sound > Silent Mode (check to activate)

To turn off the vibrate in the New Silent Mode:

Settings > Sounds > Vibrate > Only when not in silent mode

(This still allows the device to vibrate normally when not in Silent Mode.)

Text messages not sending

This has been reported through other channels also and Sprint is looking into it.

A soft reset (battery pull) seems to help temporarily.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/65372?tstart=0

Battery life decreased

Community members are reporting that a factory reset resolves this problem.   

Email responses include HTML code 

Fix will be included in the next maintenance release.

Workaround: deleting and reestablishing EAS account.  Make a note of your account information before deleting it so you can reestablish the account.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/65526?tstart=0

Phone rings through earpiece instead of speaker

After a bluetooth disconnect (bluetooth profiles A2DP or HFP), audio is routed through earpiece

Fix will be included in the next maintenance release.

Battery pull or rebooting the phone may resolve temporarily.

No dictionary on Android keyboard

When texting or otherwise  typing using the Andriod keyboard, the predictive text box shows up with  suggested words, but the only words in there come from your Contacts  list.

Any workarounds/solutions?

Workarounds aren't effective for your device?

Factory reset is always recommended if problems persist. The factory reset will clear your data so be sure to backup your data first. 

Updates are in red font: dshoem01

Tags (3)
36 REPLIES 36
Wizard

Thanks for this post.  My phone decided to do the phantom music thing this afternoon, and remembering that I saw the fix here, I checked and easily solved the problem.

A couple common issues I've been seeing:

Can't make calls direct from the call log
This can still be done by touching the log entry and swiping right to call, left to text.

With the app drawer open touch the menu button and then edit. Touch the menu button again and then a-z sort. Touch the menu botton again and then save. (Or you can also arrange them any way you want after selecting edit the first time.)

Wizard

I didn't know about calling/texting from the log, so that's a useful tip.  As for the apps in the app drawer, I regularly have problems with them and constantly alphabetize them to try to solve it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.  I suspect that there's some issue with apps on the SD card, because those are (as far as I can tell) the ones that seem to go missing, or that it just takes a lot longer than I expected for it to load everything.  I am able to get things to go back to normal eventually, but often end up rebooting the phone multiple times trying to get the system to recognize all of my installed apps on the card.  If there's a better way to work around this, I'd love to know it.

Wizard

Thanks for starting this to consolidate the "features" (new or missing from past versions). I understand some quirks are always to be expected, especially with Android updates.  I do strongly agree with others who expressed concern with the removal of the geo-tagging setting from the Camera app itself.  Is there somewhere we can request to have this setting option added back?

Journeyman

JKNUTSON74 wrote:

I don't know if anybody else is experiencing this... my app icons keep rearranging themselves intermittently.

I figured out of course to do the 'a-z' sort, and then 'Save'... but then eventually I will be using the phone later and notice that they are in a somewhat random order again!  It ain't the end of the world, but it's kind of annoying and just weird - is this happening to anyone else?

Journeyman

You can add to your list...

Minor: SMS "Messaging" app icon is now very similar to the Email App icon which is somewhat annoying, it was better as the old unique message bubble type icon.  Also the new bubble style SMS conversation style is not personally appealing and can't seem to be changed back to the old "plain" "Android" style conversations.

Major: Email App can no longer delete messages from imap account.  Neither from the multi-selection nor from the message view.

Journeyman

Phantom Music seems to be related to the "Smart Alarm" option under Clock however it is very difficult to make the connection.

Wizard

Has anyone experienced problems with the Android Market after the update?  Since I got EC05, trying to update files in the Market app seems to fairly regularly hang on installing, and once that happens, I can't update any other programs (they won't even download).  I end up going through a sometimes long process of doing things that usually include rebooting the phone (often multiple times, in part to get all of my apps recognized), clearing the data and cache of the Market app, uninstalling and reinstalling the app that's causing trouble.  I'm never quite sure what exactly fixes the problem, but it's only temporary -- after going through this last night to update some apps, I'm doing it again this morning for some more apps.  I'd really like a fix to this, and preferably one that doesn't involve a hard reset.  Thanks.

Journeyman

Is anyone having trouble with text mesages not sending? I try to send mesages, and if one isn't sent right away, it remains on sending mode. Then I am not able to send any mesages. I didn't realize this until the other day when none of my mesages were sent because of 1 mesage.

Journeyman

how do you add contacts to your phone since the upgrade it will give me option and say add to contacts but it won't do anything after that.  my phone constantly buzzes all day long saying I have email and text messages when I really don't!  I hate the new software it sucks BALLS!

Journeyman

Any update regarding these ongoing issues? 

I can't stand to text without predictive text.  It won't matter if they don't fix the battery life issue because I won't have any battery life in order to text.  At least I was able to use my phone on the 2.1 version.  I'm so frustrated with Sprint!  They can take something that's working and make your phone completely useless!

Battery life decreased

Any workarounds/solutions besides the usual (change sync settings, screen brightness, etc)?  

No dictionary on Android keyboard

When texting or otherwise  typing using the Andriod keyboard, the predictive text box shows up with  suggested words, but the only words in there come from your Contacts  list.

Any workarounds/solutions?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat