cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NOT PURCHASE THE $30/MONTH HOTSPOT FUNCTION and Customer Service Supervisors need some work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DO NOT PURCHASE THE $30/MONTH HOTSPOT FUNCTION and Customer Service Supervisors need some work.

Here's the summary:

• The WiFi hotspot functionality is functionally worthless if you plan to talk on your phone much.
  • You cannot connect to the internet from your phone or via the hotspot while there is a phone call.
  • If an SMS message comes in, the internet service is interrupted.

When I purchased the phone, the salesperson assured me it would be possible to do this. Shame on me for not testing in the store.

I tried several times to make it work, and checked out the web, and didn't find much.

I didn't have time to call customer support until tonight. I called and spoke with three tiers of customer service.

Tiers two and three said that they believed that the phone had the ability to surf the web while receiving calls. Tier three, after 4-5 minutes of research, came back and explained that the functionality was designed in such a way that prevented phone and internet working at the same time.

I explained that, having been misinformed, I would like to cancel the hotspot service, and stick with the $50/month aircard that I'm using now. Which works.

Since it didn't function the way that I was told it would, and I did not use the service, I asked whether there could be a refund of that particular service.

Tier two checked with the supervisor, who said that they could not refund the money, since that was the way the phone was designed.

But, I explained, that's not the way the phone is marketed, and the salespeople, and technical support all don't seem to be aware, without extensive research, that the phone operates that way.

I asked to be connected to his supervisor. He complied by forwarding me to.....an invalid extension, which robotically explained that extension 000000 did not exit. Drop.

I call back, and get another support representative, who tried to talk with his supervisor. He was awesome, communicating, and trying to do all he could to help me out. He was able to offer a moderate 15% discount on the service. I explained that my real concern was receiving a service that did not perform in the way I was told it would.

Carla, the supervisor, told me that she could not credit the amount because the charges "were valid". She told me that the information about the fact that the web wouldn't work was in the user manual. I asked her where, and looked through mine. She said she would look.

I am now waiting on the phone, after 36 minutes, she has evidently dumped me to some holidng queue, without telling me she would do so. Perhaps she slipped into an alternate universe, where the user manual informs customers of this condition.

Update: I finally got through (third call) to another customer service rep, who (after I explained again what happened) talked with his supervisor, who approved the refund of the amount spent for that service. He was superb.

Message was edited by: budratliff

Message was edited by: budratliff

9 REPLIES 9
Master

Re: DO NOT PURCHASE THE $30/MONTH HOTSPOT FUNCTION

The confusion probably comes from the fact that you can use the data while on a call/text in some cases, but not others.

If you are in a 4G area and are using 4G for data/hotspot then you can also make calls and text at the same time because it is using two separate networks. The 3G network however does not allow for simultaneous voice/text and data. So if you are only in a 3G area, or only connected to the 3G network, you can't use the hotspot at the same time as calling or texting.

Likewise, if you are connected to WiFi for internet you can call/text and use data at the same time. In this case you are also using two separate networks for the usage.

Journeyman

Sorrry Halcy...

Your statement does not stand true with my device.  In 4G, in chicago, and with hotspot on, if i receive a call, I am kicked offline on my computers, ipad, etc..  Happens every SINGLE time. 

Direct message me if you want me to make a short video of it happening.. id be happy to. I am NOT pleased about this problem, especially after I gave up my Overdrive. 

Journeyman

I can confirm the problem with 4g and wifi hotspot not being able to be ON simultaneously, essentially making the wifi hotspot incapable of supporting simultaneous voice and data even when in a 4g area.  The problem is that the epic doesn't seem to be able to have 4g and wifi on at the same time.  If you just switch normal wifi on, you'll notice that the 4g turns off.  This is also noted in the thread about epic bugs.  The thread also states that the EVO does not have this problem (and at least not on the phones I tested in the Sprint store running Android 2.1).  This is a huge inconvenience if you are thinking of purchasing Sprint's hotspot.   

Journeyman

Thanks for responding. It appears that, while there seems to be the intent for the Epic to browse different networks, there remains some issues in practice.

Have you received other reports of issues? Do you know of plans to address this situation?

Thanks,

Journeyman

Yes, I covered this in my bug list several weeks ago. It's item #3. It would help if everyone read the list, tested their phones, and called Sprint to report the problems.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/44415

Journeyman

I've called Sprint and Samsung and talked to numerous Sprint store reps with a different response from each one.  Samsung says to return the phone to Sprint because it is defective, and Sprint reps either say the phone is not meant to work this way or just shrug their shoulders.  It seems like it would be an easy software fix, but I'm not sure how long that fix will take based on how Sprint's current response, or lack thereof, to Epic issues.

Journeyman

dariaatpu1 wrote:

I've called Sprint and Samsung and talked to numerous Sprint store reps with a different response from each one.  Samsung says to return the phone to Sprint because it is defective, and Sprint reps either say the phone is not meant to work this way or just shrug their shoulders.  It seems like it would be an easy software fix, but I'm not sure how long that fix will take based on how Sprint's current response, or lack thereof, to Epic issues.

Yes, I agree the Epic 4G is defective. On a serious note, the response you got from Sprint is very typical and expected. This company is full of people who don't care about the product they're putting out and have very little passion or pride in their work. It's because of this attitude that I'm moving on and leaving Sprint. In fact, I'm heading to the AT&T in a few minutes.

Next, the Hotspot service is $30/month when it comes for free built-in to all Android phones. Carriers like Sprint force the removal of this functionality to make money off customers. You can run a free Wifi hotspot by simply "rooting" your phone and installing a free app out of the Android Market but they'd rather make $30/month (about $720 over the course of 2 years) off less tech-savvy people. In fact, the Sprint hotspot app just piggy backs on top of the functions already built-in your Android phone but adds the "account check" to make sure you've paid the Sprint Tax (as I like to call it).

Lastly, it may not be as simple as a software fix because, for all we know, the radio in the Epic 4G may not allow both 4G and Wifi to run at the same time. You can return your phone out of spite so Sprint ends up with another slightly-used returned phone but the new phone will do the exact same thing.

You have a few options at this point:

1. You can keep paying $30/month for a half-working Hotspot service that will never run over 4G due to faults in the phone.

2. If you have the time then return the phone--a little more of a loss of the Epic 4G Failure for Sprint will only make the point that much more clear to Sprint. Make sure you have the Sprint store employee log the issue in their system so it gets forwarded to the device team. Mind you, the new phone will do the same thing with the Sprint Hotspot service so you can stick with option #1. Or...

3. Exchange your phone. Google "root Epic 4G" so you can figure out how to root it and then install the free Wifi tethering app. This is the option I'd take after lodging several complaints with Sprint.

4. You can return the Epic 4G altogether and either get an Evo 4G where this all works. You can either root the Evo 4G and install the free wifi tether app or pay for the Sprint Hotspot service.

5. Or switch to another carrier that actually cares for customers.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Journeyman

Thanks for the feedback.

I was on my 29th day of the trial period and decided to return the phone. With all the bugs, I don't think the Epic is worth the $250 price tag + extra $10/mo for 4G + 2 yr contract extension.  On top of the epic bugs, I haven't been impressed with the 4G speeds I've seen.  I might wait til Samsung and Sprint get things worked out and/or 4G service improves.  At least I wasn't held to the restocking fee after explaining my disappointment with the phone.  

Journeyman

Re: DO NOT PURCHASE THE $30/MONTH HOTSPOT FUNCTION and Customer Service Supervisors need some work.

i concur.  I also notified supervisor that different customer service people were giving different reports on dropped hot spot issue with epic 4g.  She finally admitted that the problem was with Samsung and she would notify the rest of the CS reps.  I still have 20 days to decide whether to drop Epic 4g or not.  I'm also having an issue with 4g itself dropping off while phone sits still at home.  Customer service rep said that although 4g is excellent in my area, my exact address, happens to be in a "spotty" area.  Why do these people waist our time with this bs?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat