cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DROID is NOT voice recognition compatible with bluetooth...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I purchased the Samsung Epic on November 29th, 2010.  At that time I asked the sales person if it was bluetooth compatible he assured me yes.  Guess what you can talk and hear a call coming in, touch to answer and touch to disconnect but......of course I was past the 30 day period when I figured out I was not an idiot and just not getting it but a system issue...

the big thing is it does not accept voice recognition!  It will not let you answer of place a call using voice commands, answer, etc.  So if I want to call someone in traffic I have to use the handset...or even touching the headset to answer or hangup defeats the hands free purpose...

Sprint, Samsung (Google does not have a staffed customer service center at this time :/) all give me canned answers and run around...

Don't get me wrong I like the phone, but this was a known issue when I purchased the phone and the sales person "skirted" the question about the bluetooth..yes it works..but it will NOT utilize all the capabilities that make up true "hands free" driving now required in many states....

So until a "fix" is announced, and I went by Sprint just yesterday and while apologetic said not so far...I wait and wait and wait..

BTW....my daughter got disgusted, paid the cancel fee on her phone and got an iPhone which she loves...

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: DROID is NOT voice recognition compatible with bluetooth...

Hey bud, you can tone down the font a bit.  We're not all blind....yet.    As for the fix you so anxiously desire, it is part of Android 2.2 (Froyo).  Once they allow that update to be pushed, it will fix your problem immediately.  I'm using 2.2 now and it works beautifully with voice recognition.  I know the wait is frustrating, my brother is having to wait, too.  The problem is not actually an issue with Sprint (other than them assuming that most of us actually nuse their braded software) but with the OS.  The Android operating system just simply didn't support voice recognition through blue tooth until 2.2.

Journeyman

Sorry, about the font...I had eye surgery and using the larger font makes it easier, didn't realize I had made it quite to large.

Thanks for the response.  You are correct the wait is ridiculous.  2.2 is out, so why can't they do a update and release it..I tried contacting Google, that was interesting.

Just aggravating and to aggravate it more, visiting in a "hands free" state and picked up the phone to speed dial a number and got pulled overthankfully the officer was nice and let me go.  May have helped he is having the same issues with Droid and Sprint

Journeyman

Good info, thank you. I've been trying to get a definitive answer on this Q, too.  Can you explain how to activate the voice calling feature??? That's a big feature to me, too.  Again, thanks for the info.

Journeyman

Voice recognition does indeed work now with 2.2.  I use it with my car's built-in bluetooth.  What you have to do is find out what command to use on your bluetooth device to get to voice recognition.  In my car it's "voice" but it may be different on different devices so check out your user manual.

If you just want to activate it from the phone, there is a "voice dialer" app that should already be on your phone that starts the voice recognition.

Journeyman

Just press the button on the bluetooth and a screen will pop up on your phone and a "woman's voice" will tell you to say a command.

Journeyman

hmm well i jumped the gun, updated to the now-deprecated 2.2.1 from Samsung, and BT voice dialing is a no-go for me.  Of course, I'm not seeing (so far) the other issues other users are reporting.  hehe i love how we all get a different experience with the dodgy upgrade.  BT call audio works fine, always has.  But here I am in 2011 unable to do something that worked fine on my 2006 Moto RAZR.

ok now after powercycling the phone, the BT won't connect at all to my headset...lol!  Go, technology!

edit:  after unpairing and re-pairing my headset, it seems ok now.  can't wait for that actual BT voice dialing though, that will be sweet.

Journeyman

How does the voice dialing work with your equipment?

On mine, I just press the button on the earpiece and the voice tells me "Say a command!". I just call out a persons name on my contacts list and it dials it for me. Is there any other voice dialing that people are waiting for?

Journeyman

yes, that's exactly how it worked with my RAZR phone; I hold down the main action button for a little over 1 second, a long tone follows, and then you hear "say a command" ... And I don't think my headset is that out of date:  Plantronics Voyager Pro.

I was silly to be patient, waiting for the 2.2 update and then knowing it had been "recalled," I went ahead and installed it anyway

I am preparing to factory reset back to 2.1 (too many other issues with the update for me) and then I'll just keep waiting.  If I really feel motivated I'll go for a 3rd party rom.  then the real fun will start!

Journeyman

Most of the people here are not tech-savvy and they get upset when I mention anything other than an update OTA. So I just leave it alone.

I R&R'd my phone 3 months ago and have been enjoying the benefits of this phone (actually since day 1 - 8/30/2010). Maybe that's the reason why my BT works fine (or the way it should). And the people who do the updates are extremely friendly.

Journeyman

Actually it does not...I have been informed by Sprint that it is a Droid issue with Google and they are working on a "fix".  It worked on my Lotus Elite just fine, so I know what it is supposed to do, they even suggested downloading a "third party" program...I spent over an hour at the Sprint store last week and the salesperson there could not find such a thing.

The phone rings in the bluetooth, I can answer it by touching the ear piece and I can disconnect.  It does not announce who is called and I dont' get the voice that says "say a command" so it is useless for  actual "handsfree" driving.

Now supposedly Google released an update but it had "bugs" and they pulled it...I am about fed up...I travel and rely heavily on bluetooth useage...Kinda hard to be heading through the airport with carry on luggage and trying to hold a phone :/

Master

Android did not support Bluetooth voice dialing prior to Android 2.2. Why Google did this I have no idea. Any Android device with 2.2 (Froyo) or above will have support. At the moment, with the 2.2 update having been pulled temporarily for the Epic, some Epics will suppor tthis now and others will not. A new update should be re-released shortly that will bring all of hte Epics to the same Android 2.2 version.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat