Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did someone ask about problems with Epic and 2.1???? I’m glad you did!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did someone ask about problems with Epic and 2.1???? I’m glad you did!

Did someone ask about problems with Epic and 2.1?????  I’m glad you did!

Here is my partial list:

1  Phone rings in speaker before ringing in Bluetooth.  What good is a Bluetooth in a meeting?

2  Go to contacts, type partial name, click on wrong one and use backup arrow…now start all over typing the person’s name all over…Android can’t remember what you typed?  A REAL pain.

3  Epic business phone can’t sync with Outlook…have to use Gmail??!!  What?

4  Email lets you check every 5 minutes BUT Android only sync’s every 1 or 2 hours.  How does that help?

5  Bluetooth doesn’t work with voice recognition software…what is a Bluetooth good for?

6  Epic has a big screen to watch movies BUT you can’t stream them ..Netflix…Huh???

7  Open any software, drill down in 4 screens..now the only way to close program, without third party software, is to back up 4 times….can’t hold sometime to just close it??

8  There is NO WAY to reduce the volume of ALL notices.  It is nice to have 1 sound for each item BUT why doesn’t the phones volume control REALLY lower the volume?

9  You can add 32 meg of music BUT I have to use iTunes to get the music in and not much good software to play it???

10 Get voice mail but it will not play on Bluetooth?  I have to use the speaker??

Incase Sprint and Android hasn’t REALLY used their software and Epic, I hope this helps get 2.2 fixes on the epic to REALLY be a GREAT phone.

I actually love the phone BUT the quirks are very irritating! Lost count how many times the phone has interrupted meetings with the volume problem even using my bluetooth!

Don P

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Master

Just curious I have an Evo and wondered what version of the VVM app are you guys running? Open VVM app>Menu>Settings>About Voicemail - The Evo has V5.1.0.34

Tap the Check For Upgrade while your in there to see if maybe one is available. We never got notified we found it by chance, I bet most have never checked and are still running the old version.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My Epic runs V.5.1.0.30. No upgrade available. I believe Evo was upgraded from .32 to .34 specifically for bluetooth playback.

Highlighted
Master

Yep, That was the reason for the upgrade, To add bluetooth support. But I was thinking maybe that since they are both android that they should be able to run the same App & version and for your guys sake they pushed it but nobody found it yet, I know, wishful thinking. Doesn't seem like they'd have to tweak it much and push it to you guys.

Thanks for checking though.

Message was edited by: Levi4u

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's what I was thinking. They probably just haven't gotten around to it. Maybe not enough customer complaints. Customer care seems to be unaware that it's an issue. Strange in light of the fact that they've already gone thru this with the Evo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The epic is still.30 and does not update to a newer version!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just tried my Epic and I still cannot hear the voice mail on my Bluetooth!  I have to click the screen to trun on the speaker to start to hear it.  I understand the screen is supposed to know when it is up against your face BUT even on the desk, it will only play the voicemail through the ear speaker and not the speaker of the phone or the blue tooth.  You wonder who they had test just the basics of this phone before release.....this is "normal" operation of the phone...or it should be.

Someone mentioned a google reporting place but I have not found it.  I would love to add this list and a few new ones that have been added to make sure they are aware of the issues.  I understand you can't fix something if you don't know it is broke!

Why do the cell phone companies release the phone overseas before the states?  If it is to find issues before releaseing in the states....when are they going to wake up that isn't working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesn't the cell companies find the real users of cell phones and let us test and ring out the bugs!  I know I am a power user of my cell...that is why I am wiling to pay BIG bucks for a phone....not to find it has MANY bugs!!

The Sprint store people brag they have the Evo and Epic and they bearly know half of the features of the phone!!  Is that working to really help you Sprint?

I really have not seen speed on the Internet with the Epic...sure hope my $10 more a month gets me something with speed on my G4 IF it ever gets started in more than 2 or 3 cities....meanwhile we keep paying for "pie in the sky"

The odd part of this list....I knew most of them within 1 week of having my phone!!!!!!!  It wasn't hard to come up with the list JUST USING THE PHONE!!

I had a Touch Pro and it was a good phone...just slow and had to be rebooted but than it had Windows...that is just part of using windows I think.  LOL

Highlighted
Journeyman

dprentice26 wrote:

I just tried my Epic and I still cannot hear the voice mail on my Bluetooth!  I have to click the screen to trun on the speaker to start to hear it.  I understand the screen is supposed to know when it is up against your face BUT even on the desk, it will only play the voicemail through the ear speaker and not the speaker of the phone or the blue tooth.  You wonder who they had test just the basics of this phone before release.....this is "normal" operation of the phone...or it should be.

Someone mentioned a google reporting place but I have not found it.  I would love to add this list and a few new ones that have been added to make sure they are aware of the issues.  I understand you can't fix something if you don't know it is broke!

Why do the cell phone companies release the phone overseas before the states?  If it is to find issues before releaseing in the states....when are they going to wake up that isn't working!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesn't the cell companies find the real users of cell phones and let us test and ring out the bugs!  I know I am a power user of my cell...that is why I am wiling to pay BIG bucks for a phone....not to find it has MANY bugs!!

The Sprint store people brag they have the Evo and Epic and they bearly know half of the features of the phone!!  Is that working to really help you Sprint?

I really have not seen speed on the Internet with the Epic...sure hope my $10 more a month gets me something with speed on my G4 IF it ever gets started in more than 2 or 3 cities....meanwhile we keep paying for "pie in the sky"

The odd part of this list....I knew most of them within 1 week of having my phone!!!!!!!  It wasn't hard to come up with the list JUST USING THE PHONE!!

I had a Touch Pro and it was a good phone...just slow and had to be rebooted but than it had Windows...that is just part of using windows I think.  LOL

Bluetooth yes it's that way for ALL android devices until 2.2.  Doesn't matter what device as there isn't a full A2DP support until then.  Also Android is written where you need A2DP BT device in order to hear everything via BT.  I have not own 1 Android device that does otherwise.

Screen time out it set low and that's what's happening when you put it down on the table.  try raising the time through settings.  Stock I believe is always set to 30 seconds.

For Google codes for defects, bugs, enhancement requests, and such can be found here

They don't always release devices overseas.  Samsung would be cheaper if they did as they are overseas...  Motorola would more than likely do it here in the states.  It has nothing to do with "bug" checking and more to do with demographic.  It would be too expensive to allow real users to "test" devices, and majority of people are not willing to pay for a device at high prices.  People complain paying $250 for this device as is... Do you think people will complain more about it if it costed $350?

Speeds vary a lot and it takes time to up bandwidth and people abusing the network isn't helping any, and a lot of people do which affects you.  I get better speeds where I live than T-Mobile's HSPA+ network.  Sometimes it's all about location, and what someone told me before $10 charge isn't for 4G it's for the bandwidth these devices can chew up.  My data usage has risen since I have gotten this device over my previous device, and honestly I find it fair(personal opinion).

Most of the list can be found on the bug pages, and is part of the OS itself as a "enhancement" request.  Sorry if you have to go through 4K pages I believe, but I am not going to go through all of them again just to link things...  Not worth my effort as someone will eventually not bother clicking on the links and call me a troll.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for your input!  I did not explain myself correct.  Let some good cell phone users that REALLY use their phones to test the beta phones before they say they are ready to mass manufacture them!  I just can't believe they knew of these bugs before they released the Epic???!!!!  The cell companies need better testers before launching them for mass production!  No, I don't want to pay more...I choke at these prices too!  It is the power users like myself and others that will pay that much because we want a powerful phone....not just the $29 cheap phone that does half of the Evo and Epic.

I got lost with your statement, "It would be too expensive to allow real users to "test" devices"!!!!  Someone that can REALLY test all functions of a phone before shipping MUST test these before release.  I have done software testing....it doesn't take hundreds of GOOD debuggers to find problems.  I am not saying to give 1000's of phones away...just get them in the hands of REAL users that push the task of cell phones.

I will use the bug list to check the information there, thanks!

I do understand the "extra" fee but no one has a guess as to when you will get this great speed up of data.  If you have paid $60-100 10 months down the road only to find your city is months away from G4 service, will you still think it is fair....probably not.  A lot of peole WILL be in that boat!

I appreciate the information....that is the REAL problem.  No cell phone company or manufacture wants to really fess up to the bugs and talk to anyone in person so we are left to guess and hope all will get better.  Believe me...I bought the HTC touch pro with the promise from everyone that I would get the Windows updated OS...guess what, after 3 years, I NEVER DID!  That is another fear that this phone will never see 2.2....maybe things will get better.  Yes, I could have waited to buy it until the release.....How long do you wait...there is always a bigger, faster, better cell phone coming soon.  "Word is this one will have this and this will have that" .....you wil be dead before you get the real scoop.  It is just the industry to sell cell phones with hype.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dprentice26 wrote:

Thanks for your input!  I did not explain myself correct.  Let some good cell phone users that REALLY use their phones to test the beta phones before they say they are ready to mass manufacture them!  I just can't believe they knew of these bugs before they released the Epic???!!!!  The cell companies need better testers before launching them for mass production!  No, I don't want to pay more...I choke at these prices too!  It is the power users like myself and others that will pay that much because we want a powerful phone....not just the $29 cheap phone that does half of the Evo and Epic.

I got lost with your statement, "It would be too expensive to allow real users to "test" devices"!!!!  Someone that can REALLY test all functions of a phone before shipping MUST test these before release.  I have done software testing....it doesn't take hundreds of GOOD debuggers to find problems.  I am not saying to give 1000's of phones away...just get them in the hands of REAL users that push the task of cell phones.

I will use the bug list to check the information there, thanks!

I do understand the "extra" fee but no one has a guess as to when you will get this great speed up of data.  If you have paid $60-100 10 months down the road only to find your city is months away from G4 service, will you still think it is fair....probably not.  A lot of peole WILL be in that boat!

I appreciate the information....that is the REAL problem.  No cell phone company or manufacture wants to really fess up to the bugs and talk to anyone in person so we are left to guess and hope all will get better.  Believe me...I bought the HTC touch pro with the promise from everyone that I would get the Windows updated OS...guess what, after 3 years, I NEVER DID!  That is another fear that this phone will never see 2.2....maybe things will get better.  Yes, I could have waited to buy it until the release.....How long do you wait...there is always a bigger, faster, better cell phone coming soon.  "Word is this one will have this and this will have that" .....you wil be dead before you get the real scoop.  It is just the industry to sell cell phones with hype.

I always go by what do I need my device to do now, and not what it could do later.  I have always been a happy camper going that route.

This phone will see 2.2 as I don't see it not getting 2.2 as Samsung made their Galaxy S lines their staple cellular device.  Regardless of the Moment/Intercept or even the Behold 2 they have never made that claim with those devices.  Companies will always update their staples first, and whatever sells well after that may get updates.

What I am saying about real users to test the device would be expensive, and could cause problems in the long run. Delaying a device release often at times gives your competition a headstart and they have bigger chances to one up you before you release a device.  This is why Apple is always underwraps until release.  That delay may lose you customers since someone may be waiting for the device ends up locking up with some other device, because they took to long.  Time always cost money

I honestly believe if people weren't so "I want everything now!" attitude and took their time waiting for the device they want better products would actually come out.  Companies would be forced to listen to consumers on what they want if they really want their devices to sell.  Since a lot of people are impatient and want the "latest and greatest" device companies try and push what they can at times just to lock you in.

As for G4 speeds the $10 charge isn't for that it's for the bandwidth the device eats up.  Honestly since I have used Android I know my data usage went up at least 2x that when I had my Windows Mobile device or my Blackberries.  Since I got my Epic 4G I nearly doubled that double.  I went from a 520MB average to a 1.7GB average(Nexus One, Cliq) and now with my Epic I am pulling a little under 3GB of data usage.  So I understand the "up" charge as I know bandwidth isn't cheap like people often think it is.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat