cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable Jumping Cursor in Text Entry? Unusable as-is.

Journeyman

After seeing all the freezing errors reported for EL30, I've stayed on EI22, but there is one bug that was introduced here that makes text entry near unusable.

From the original release onward, the on-screen cursor could be placed simply by tapping.

Starting with EI22, the text entry cursor appears to have some sort of autocorrect "feature" (bug) that causes the cursor to randomly jump to the end of a work or the middle of a URL when editing. This is EXTREMELY frustrating as you'll place the cursor at the point you want to start editing, go to enter text and as soon as you've pressed the first letter, the cursor has magically jumped to the end of the word, the middle of a URL string or the wrong side of a quote mark. As a result, text goes in the wrong spot and you have to delete and start over.

Seriously, who thought it would be a good idea to make the cursor RANDOMLY HOP AROUND when entering text?

If the user places the cursor in a specific spot, don't you think it's because he or she might actually want it there?

I have disabled every auto-correct feature I can find, yet it still keeps doing it. This bug was NOT present in any official update prior to EI22. It only started in EI22.

Is this issue fixed in EL30? If so, then I'll risk the freezing and upgrade. If not, any idea when it will be fixed? At this point I'm ready to roll back to EC05 or just install CyanogenMod as the broken text entry is beyond annoying.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes yes yes.  Thank you for this post.  I haven't thoughht of how best to describe it and you hit it dead on. This is the identical problem I have since the update as well as daily freezes that require battery removal.  EL30 has made my phone a major pain.  Sprint....please help!!!!

Journeyman

Re: Disable Jumping Cursor in Text Entry? Unusable as-is.

God, yes! I hate this new "feature". It is so annoying to not be able to place the cursor where I want. The jumping is ridiculous.

Journeyman

Re: Disable Jumping Cursor in Text Entry? Unusable as-is.

To 'correct' this and daily freeze-ups I was having, Sprint tech support had me perform a RTN factory reset.  You have to call in to get the steps because it involves some un-documented steps on the phone.  I'll admit the freeze-ups have reduced (not gone though) and the cursor behavior has improved.  Now what happens is when I notice a misspelled word, I click in the middle of the word to correct it.  It still jumps to the end the first time.  If you click it again (or even click the spot twice quickly, the little text editing assistant pops up which you can ignore and make your changes.  It may have worked this way before but I don't think so.  It almost always jumped around... backspace would delete letters to the right when it felt like it, etc.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat