cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Wifi or 3G use more battery?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does Wifi or 3G use more battery?

If I'm somewhere where a wireless connection is available, but I'm indifferent to using it vs. 3G except for battery life, which should I pick?  Does the phone use the battery more quickly or less when connected to Wifi?

Message was edited by: JMORMINO1

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Re: Does Wifi or 3G use more battery?

WIFI will deffinatley use more battery

Journeyman

I would suggest that the transmit power required is a large factor.  The 3G and WIFI transmitters in the phone have a variable power setting.  Whichever one can communicate using the lowest power consumption makes the battery last the longest.

So if you are sitting next to an Access Point the WIFI is likely better for battery life.  If your location is near a cell tower and your WIFI signal is weak, the 3G may be more efficient.

...S

Journeyman

AJPHILLIPSJR wrote:

WIFI will deffinatley use more battery

Not necessarily. Sprint's signal is so bad at my house that if I leave WiFi off, any EVDO phone that uses a lot of data will rarely last more than 6-8 hours even if it spends all of those hours just sitting on my desk. With WiFi on (and set to never sleep in the WiFi advanced settings menu) I can get about 18-24 hours of use out of my Epic.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat