cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

Is it possible to downgrade my Epic 4G back to Android 2.2.1.

After receiving the upgrade to Gingerbread, I am very disapointed in various aspects of the changes and wish to revert back.

TIA.

11 REPLIES 11
Master

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

Once the device is upgrade unless there is a major problem  as in the upgrade on the optimus we do not support going back to older software.

Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

So, if there was nothing wrong with the old version, and now I have problems with the new version such as calls being dropped, notification LED not working, decreased battery life, extremely inaccurate GPS readings (when it does work); there is no help for me?

How about the bloat-ware that was added that I didn't ask for that is taking up even more of my storage space?

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

GPS is a problem....and hopefully Samsung and Sprint are both aware of it by now. All the other issues shouldn't be happening. You can try backing everything up and doing a factory reset which will erase all data and apps on the phone.

There wasn't any "bloat-ware" added with this upgrade that I'm aware of...I didn't see anything new on my phone. Also, the apps pre-installed on the phone do not take up your storage space. They are in the OS partition of the phone which is space you don't have access to anyways. If you were to remove the apps, you wouldn't gain any more space.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

I wish I could revert back to the phone I purchased and enjoyed due to how well it worked. 

Now I am stuck with this god awful piece of junk with failed apps, a drunken GPS coordinator, dial pad buttons that cant be recognized by Sprints own awful automated customer service, text auto-incorrect, volume control buttons that control nothing and the always slow and unreliable 3G network for my 4G phone that has never used 4G once in almost 11 months. 

Feel like Sprint is pulling a bait and switch and now I am on the verge of filing a BBB claim against them. GPS was awesome when I bought my phone, then they renamed it and made it horrible while offering a better one for $4.95/month... bait and switch. 

My texting keyboard worked great until Gingerbread installed auto-incorrect to form wacked out phrases instead of short hand texts.

Guess it goes to show, you get what you pay for... Sprint is the cheapest and so is their service and immoral sales tactics.  Time to file a BBB claim and get out of this one-sided contract.  Shouldnt be too hard with all the evidence I have gathered for what used to work to what has been taken away and rebranded with a newer, cheaper version.  Sprint sucks, lesson learned the hard way.  

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

RickyRicardo3G wrote:

Feel like Sprint is pulling a bait and switch and now I am on the verge of filing a BBB claim against them. GPS was awesome when I bought my phone, then they renamed it and made it horrible while offering a better one for $4.95/month... bait and switch. 

My texting keyboard worked great until Gingerbread installed auto-incorrect to form wacked out phrases instead of short hand texts.

The GPS software on the phone has always been the same (Telenav), they just dropped the Sprint branding on it with one of the updates to it. Telenav has always offered a premium version over the version installed on the phone by the carrier, nothing new there. Also, Google Maps has built-in navigation which many people think is better than Telenav.

However, Samsung appears to have broken GPS in the latest update so you may have issues.

As far as auto-correct, you can disable it in the keyboard settings.

Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

I can no longer forward text messages with the new 2.3.5. Gingerbread. I used to forward important text like addresses or phone numbers I received to my email account. You can no longer forward text.

Sprint rep told me to take it back to store and have them put 2.2.1 back on.

Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

I wouldn't waste your time. The stores do not have access to downgrade phones (except the LG Optimus). Learned that the hard way too. I personally use Google Voice for all of my Texting needs, and have never had any trouble with it before. Just a suggestion, but you could try it out yourself, and if you don't like it, you can unsubscribe fromt he service at Google Voice's website. No obligation at all!

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

MC_Driver wrote:

I can no longer forward text messages with the new 2.3.5. Gingerbread. I used to forward important text like addresses or phone numbers I received to my email account. You can no longer forward text.

Sprint rep told me to take it back to store and have them put 2.2.1 back on.

Forwarding text messages still works the same way it did before. You touch and hold the message you want to forward and a menu will pop up with the option.

Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

Thanks I can forward that way. Previously this was not the way I forwarded but no sense explainig the way I used to do it as this works better than the workaround I was using.

Journeyman

Re: Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

I wish the stupid spanish button would be taken back off. Everytime I am trying to "swype" it suddenly becomes spanish again.  SO FRUSTRATING! The touch screen is now freezing and not recognizing my fingers. There are times my phone spazzes out and shuts off after freezing on the low battery screen. When I power it back up, it has half a battery. This update really messed it up....

Journeyman

Downgrade back to 2.2.1?

Finally, an answer....

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat