cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclair update to my EPIC killed my battery

Highlighted
Journeyman

Eclair update to my EPIC killed my battery

So I bought this phone on the 4th. My battery was horrible, for the first week (to be expected), breaking in the battery. I was getting ~4-6 hours with heavy use.

After a week, on the 11th, my battery was doing MUCH better with moderate to heavy use (my friends claim that I am on my phone ALL the time). My battery was lasting ~22-25 hours, with once/day charge.

After the eclair update, on Sept 17th, my battery life has been back to being horrible. My build number shows that the update installed properly. My battery has been lasting ~3-8 hours, with little use. (I have finally gone through with playing with my new toy phase). I have not installed any new apps or anything or changed my use habits.

I use the general task manager on the phone, advanced task killer, and juice defender. Nothing seems to be helping. I thought that I would give it some time, to see if my battery would get better.

I have talked online/on the phone with a Samsung rep, and they told me to just go buy a new battery. I don't believe that I should have to do that, when the phone is fairly new. I am pretty unhappy with my experiences with representatives lately. I'm thinking of just cancelling my service with the 30 days of satisfaction. I also went to a sprint store today, to talk to four sales people. They didn't even know what an update was, let alone an eclair update (very disappointing). One sales rep advised me to go to a technical support store. I will go tomorrow, but I am not encouraged that I will get any useful help.

Has anyone else had this problem and gotten a satisfactory solution? I know that there are others with this particular problem, as seen on other forums (www.androidforums.com).

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Eclair update to my EPIC killed my battery

Have you done a factory reset?  Sometimes things can get corrupted and a factory reset can correct the problem.

I get minimum 10 hours worth of usage (3 hours talk time on average) which is good for ANY smartphone out there.

Journeyman

Hey... thanks for the advice. My friend told me to reset my phone too, when this happened. I was reluctant to do so, bc I didn't want to have to reinstall everything and back everything up. Well, the battery hasn't been better, so I think it's time to do a reset. I've backed everything up a couple days ago and just reset it last night. I'll let you know if the battery gets better or not these next couple of days. Thanks~

Journeyman

So I've tried a factory reset.. and all I got was my data erased. It's been three days or so now. My battery is only lasting ~10 hours now, with little use (I'm getting annoyed w/using my phone at all). I can't believe I'm paying so much money for a phone that doesn't even last a day (with little use). So I went to the sprint store today, they did a diagnosis and said they couldn't fix the problem (didn't even tell me what the problem was), and that they're just going to order me a new battery for next week (but by then, I will only have 2 days until my 30 days of satisfaction run out- is that how they plan it?!?!). I'm pretty sad right now. I'm wondering if I should just cancel my service.....

Journeyman

There is evidence that the installation of the Media Hub app in this release is the culprit.  It leaves a service running in the background even if it is never used.  This serveice can be stopped manually, but if will need to be stopped again any time your reboot.  See this this thread in another forum:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/37034-those-batt-issues-after-upgrade.html

(BTW, just to get the nomenclature right, this update was not the release of "Eclair."  You already had Eclair, which is just v 2.1 of the Google Android OS.  This release is a new Samsung firmware, identified by its version name of DI107.)

Journeyman

I am having a similiar problem. Could not determine what changed, but perhaps that was it, an update?

My phone is overheating. My 2 Samsung batteries are running down in 3-5 hours with no extra use.

I have to manually shut down as many services as possible.

I keep sync off etc.  I will be taking the phone and both batteries in today. Worried about the support I will get.

I don't think the batterys are the problem, I think something in running is overheating the cpu and draining the battery.

So replacing the battery is truly not going to be the solution.

Thanks for sharing this info.  I will post the results of Sprint visit.

Kanda

Journeyman

Thanks, you all have been helpful. I've already tried forcing a stop on the DRM running service. I've read that thread too. I've tried updating my profile/prl/etc... Nothing really seems to be working. I have autokiller running. I have an advanced task killer that I always use. Today, my battery seemed to last a little longer ~16 hours (with NO use at all, barely)... Just 10 text msgs. I'm pretty sick of this. Idk why I'm paying so much money for service on a phone that won't last the day. I went to the sprint store, they said that they would replace the battery. By luck, it will be one day before my 30 days... How unfortunate. I don't even think it's the battery either, from reading all the threads online.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat