cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G 2.2 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G 2.2 upgrade

Can Sprint tell us when there will be a software upgrade for the Epic 4G to 2.2?  Kind of annoying to see a new phone come out without the currect OS.

19 REPLIES 19
Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G 2.2 upgrade

As of 11/11/2010 the reps at Sprint and Samsung can't say a thing about 2.2.  I don't want to have to root my phone and potentially brick it, but am quite frustrated at how slow these companies are at keeping the releases current.  The phone works, but it is quirky and not at it's potential.  If there was any way I could pressure management to do the right thing and take care of us, I would.  What the motivation of buying a hot product like the Epic when you get the old software?  The crap Sprint puts on it is anoying, but the lack of consistent software releases is infuriating.  We all get Microsoft OS releases, Apple provides its releases, why can't we get Android releases?

Journeyman

Samsung makes the phone, Sprint provides the service.  The Samsung Galaxy S Support Staff at http://twitter.com/#!/galaxyssupport have been consistently telling customers that Epic owners (as well as other Galaxy S owners) will recieve the 2.2 upgrade before the end of the year.  There have been some beta test versions floating around out there (see http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g-froyo-leak-made-available-all).  However, these beta test versions have issues, many many more than exist now.   We'll see it in a very short time so lets let them work out the bugs and we'll see our upgrade soon.  

Journeyman

Sprint will be selling the Samsung Galaxy Tab with 2.2 on the 14th.  HTC released 2.2 to their phones a while ago and they are now talking about Gingerbread.  Yet, Samsung will only say this will be released before the "End of the Year?"  False promises from day one.  Bottom line,  you have already purchased the phone and now they are more interested in getting new devices to market such as the Tab.  So why whould they care about Epic owners?   I should have bought the HTC. Never again will I buy a Samsung!

Journeyman

When I had my Hero, everyone was waiting for the 2.1 release.  All the other phones were getting it and the Hero was near the end.  All people did was bitch and moan about how HTC didn't support their phones and how the Hero was all but forgotten.  Then we got it.  YAY!  Then people bitched about how it messed up their phones.  No one was happy, before or after.  It sucks we aren't getting it right away, but it will happen and Sumsung is not the only offender when it comes to situations like this.

Journeyman

Great post cyco23, I think the same situation is going on here.  I can wait till the end of the year as the Galaxy S Support people have been touting on Twitter.  Hopefully the wait will prove to have all the bug works out and required fixes in.

Journeyman

yea, most people that complain really don't know what's going on behind the scenes as to what may be the problem, so their complaints are just ignorant. They'll never be happy because they have unrealistic expectations.

Journeyman

Thought you'd be interested in this story:

http://www.androidcentral.com/canadian-galaxy-s-phones-get-froyo-update-news

Canadian Galaxy S phones get Froyo update news

Posted on Thursday, Nov 18, 2010 by Jerry Hildenbrand

Samsung Mobile Canada has announced via Facebook that "Android 2.2 will be released for Vibrant from Bell and Captivate from Rogers in mid-December, and for the Fascinate from TELUS in early 2011. We’ll post further details as they become available."

You can call that good news, or bad news, but at least we have a time frame.  Still no new word for any of the US Galaxy S phones, which will likely depend on the individual carrier.  We're watching and waiting, too.  To our Canadian readers -- pass the time in the forums with the rest of us waiting for the elusive update.  [ Samsung Mobile Canada via MobileSyrup]

Journeyman

"They'll never be happy because they have unrealistic expectations." "so their complaints are just ignorant" Excuse me?????   Who do you work for?  I bet I can guess. You don't know me from the next person or what I do for a living.  FYI, I have a lot of knowledge on what goes "on behind the scenes" in software development.  Do you? As another FYI, I had issues with Samsung phones in the past and had vowed to not buy another one.  I based my decision to buy this phone on the reviews and statements from Sprint regarding the Froyo updates. Another words, I gave Samsung another chance.

As a last note, this phone works fine for me with minor exceptions that I can mostly deal with.  I have been waiting for this upgrade in order to use certain applications that require 2.2.  The fact that Sprint had made statements to me and others, as it turns out, regarding the upgrades which turned out to be completely false is what has ticked me off. 

If you are posting this kind of stuff just to make yourself look good, then you really need to rethink your postings, especially if you work for Sprint.  This is not the way to retain customers.

Wizard

I believe Sprint's statements on the availability of 2.2 has been consistent with Samsungs...by the end of the year.

Sprint employees on the forum as designated as such in the logo.

Journeyman

@mvassar1

I made no direct comment to you nor was I making a indirect comment to you. I am talking about the people who have really dumb reasons as to complaining. If you aren't one of those people then I am not talking about you. I see that for whatever reason you are bothered by my comment so you might just be one of them. If not then ignore it.

The end of the year is about here, but it isn't January 1, 2011 yet. So they could still meet by ends year time. The guy who replied to the leaked Froyo build that's out now says if he had to have some time frame he would say about 3 weeks. That's still within ends year. Cutting it close I know. Shoot, go flash you the leaked build then. They say it's pretty much final anyway. Hopefully that will make you happy. It's kind of like when the Hero leaked build came and it was no different then the official one that was from Sprint. Root is not required for this flash. Simply have a stocked Epic, go into recovery and flash the update.zip

Now when you said Samsung cares about pushing out new devices rather then updates, I hope you don't expect manufactures to just stop and put everything on pause so they can make a cup of froyo. This is a tech game and innovation is a must. Probably have numerous teams working on all kinds of things at once and some we don't even know about yet. I see and understand your upset from your previous issues with them and current ones, but my comment was not for you. Please don't let your words feel like you voice everyone. You are you. People may feel similar but that doesn't make them the same.

And no I am not posting anything to look good. I am simply saying a honest fact. In any situation there is always someone who complains and have unrealistic expectations about things. Who sob and do nothing but want and want, and then when they have it they complain some more. Unsatisfied. Again and my last time, if your not that type of person then ignore the post. I hope froyo comes sooner rather then later for your sake if it will make you happy.

Journeyman

NJAMESB1 wrote:

Now when you said Samsung cares about pushing out new devices rather then updates, I hope you don't expect manufactures to just stop and put everything on pause so they can make a cup of froyo. This is a tech game and innovation is a must. Probably have numerous teams working on all kinds of things at once and some we don't even know about yet.

OTOH it is a real kick in the teeth to have a 3 month old $500 that is well on the road to being obsolescent when there is a brand new device from the same maker with an OS 2 revs higher set for release by the end of the year, with a firm launch date commitment no less!

My last 5 phones have been samsung - some winners, some dogs, but I definitely feel I was misled on Froyo with the Epic and probably should have gone with the Evo. Seeing Samsung's "loyalty" to it's existing customers with a basically  brand new device  shows me how much my loyalty to them was worth.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat