cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G 2.2 upgrade

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G 2.2 upgrade

Can Sprint tell us when there will be a software upgrade for the Epic 4G to 2.2?  Kind of annoying to see a new phone come out without the currect OS.

19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Journeyman

Um, no -- they have expectations that were set by Sprint.  In the stores in September, Sprint was saying that both the media hub and Froyo would be released the next month.  The next month came and went.  And then November came and went.  Now it's almost the middle of December and there's still no Froyo, AND Gingerbread is coming out in a little over a week.  And in Indianapolis, all the sprint reps were claiming 4G would be here in December -- but of course that was also untrue -- we have no 4G and there's no one still claiming it will get here.

It would be nice if just once the carriers would acknowledge this, show remorse, and LEARN to stick to their promises in the future.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Android 2.3/Gingerbread was released yesterday...

Highlighted
Journeyman

To all those blaming samsung, I workedfor samsung for almost six years and I have to say that the top concern for them through all the time that I was with them was always conveyed to employees as customer satisfaction and loyalty, not once did I hear "We have to look at our profit margins and so customers with older devices have to be put on the back burner" I still have friends who work for them and they tell me this has not changed. Froyo was built, went to smsung for driver development and fine tuning, and then to sprint. Thats the cycle. This delay has nothing to do with samsung or their loyalty to the customer. The whole reason I still purchase samsung is the reason I went to work for them, they have a great team with a great work ethic and a true loyalty to customers. I bought my first samsung device when I was fifteen, seventeen years later I still buy samsung over almost any other. I know that people are upset with the delay, as I was too untill I flased the "unofficial" DK28 to my epic, which I downloaded directly from googles servers, It works fine on my phone,though there are some times when I can see problems with non-google apps they still run well for the most part. You own your device and it is yours to do with what you wish but lets face it delays happen, especially when there are three companies that have differing standards as to customer satisfaction, acceptable operating parameters and the such, No blame can trully be placed on one organization and should not be, we aren't talking about the end of the world here, the difference between eclair and froyo isn't akin to the difference between a home PC and HAL 2000. Wait or flash the leaked build. Don't switch services frrom a phone company based on the release of one minor OS upgrade, ten years ago there was no such thing. If you are satisfied with overall sevice then why switch to a company such as Verizon or AT&T etc that does not have the same quality of service? I have been a Verizon customer and would not wish that experience on my worst enemy, I have family who were with AT&T and from what I gather their experience was not unlike mine with Verizon. In the end everyone has to make their own decision but as the saying goes "dont cut off your nose to spite your face."

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sorry to disagree with you, but Samsung is to blame here, and so is Sprint.

Both companies claimed that Froyo was coming at the end of September, and Samsung wanted badly to give the impression that they had learned their lesson regarding keeping up with Google, but the truth is that Samsung and Sprint have failed to deliver, and that they are now VERY far behind.

I have a long history with Sprint of putting up with horrible customer service (4 hours on hold on two lines because I'd gotten transfered to non-working numbers repeatedly) and broken promises (c'mon -- there were petitions online with thousands of names of people wanting to file class action lawsuits against sprint for their broken promises about GPS and other premium features they were charging for without delivering).  Now we have claims from Sprint in September that Froyo was coming in October and 4G was coming to Indianapolis in December.  Neither of those things has come to pass, but I'm *still* paying an extra $10/month for a 4g phone here.

I will grant Sprint that their customer service on the phone has improved DRASTICALLY -- they've really made tremendous leaps forward in that respect.

It's not enough though.  Don't make claims you don't keep.  If you do make claims about timelines and something unexpectedly keeps you from keeping to those promises, be up front about it and do the right thing by your customers -- give some money back every once in a while, post an apology publicly, let everyone see that you're really working and not just lying to make a quick buck!

And I'm sorry, but Froyo IS a big change from Eclair.  Lots of features aren't enabled for 2.1; I spent $20 on Touchdown that I wouldn't have spent had I gotten Froyo on my phone.  I am stuck with VLingo instead of Google Voice Control.  And wow -- the battery life on my Epic is so unbelievably bad that it's become a running joke.  I literally carry my charger with me everywhere -- I even check under tables for electrical outlets at lunch.  I'm still holding out a tiny hope that the battery life will be improved by Froyo.

Android users shouldn't be waiting on OEMs and carriers to customize the OS -- all the OEM should do is make drivers, and all the carrier should do is provide some apps for voicemail and billing, NEVER modifying the OS.  I wish I had bought a Nexus One instead of my Epic, so I didn't have to deal with this stupid customized-OS-delay bullshit.

Highlighted
Journeyman

dshoem01 wrote:

I believe Sprint's statements on the availability of 2.2 has been consistent with Samsungs...by the end of the year.

Your belief about Sprint's statements on 2.2 is absolutely wrong.

In September Sprint reps in the stores told me Froyo would be released at the beginning of October.  In October that date changed to the end of October.  In November it moved back again.

In two different Sprint stores in Indianapolis, Sprint reps said 4g would be available in Indianapolis in December.

(Posting this twice because the reply didn't seem to pick up this text the first time -- sorry if it's showing up twice.)

Message was edited by: THEREALCHEWTOY

Highlighted
Journeyman

OK Sprint Admins.  Time to fess up.  What is the word on this update?  It is pretty much at the end of the year and still no news.  Is it going to be released within the next two days or is it delayed again.  Do your customers a favor and be honest this time.  If you don't have an honest answer, then maybe you should get this up to a higher level within the company.  Maybe they should know there are a lot of unhappy customers out there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree that they ought to leave the OS alone, but there is another issue as well.

(I'm on Sprint because of where I need coverage, and yes, in this instance, they're better than VZW.  None of the GSM services are suitable.)

All of the carriers do this though - they treat current users worse than new ones.  THIS is the big issue.

And in this case, since they're charging us an extra $10 even where we don't have 4G, they ought to be working to get us the latest OS ASAP.  Another case of "we've got your money, nya nya nya nya nya".

This is not good for Samsung either.  It makes them look bad or inept as well.

So get your acts together guys - no more of this screwing around.  Figure out a way to configure phones so that the OS can be upgraded without you messing with it after it leaves the hardware vendor.

Oh, that's right.  You KNOW how to do it, but prefer to cripple features and screw around with it anyway.

Message was edited by: ibapsprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been with Sprint since '96. Service has been fine overall, customer service has ranged from abyssmal to (recently) ok.

I've been waiting on 2.2 so I can have bluetooth voice dialing. Otherwise, I'm seriously constrained when using my phone while driving. I don't understand why Sprint can't or won't just give us status updates as to when it will be released. But I'm not going to whine. If they continue along this path, when the iPhone is relased on Verizon, I'll switch. That's it. I need the ability to voice dial, plain and simple. If Sprint can't provide this functionality with a pricey phone that should be able to provide this basic feature, then I'll find another way. This is how the marketplace works. And BTW, I won't be playing the retentions game. I'll be calling Sprint after I've gone elsewhere.

If Sprint wants to remain competitive and keep long-term, loyal customers like me, they need to get their act together. If not, they'll continue to churn.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat