cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)

Here is another Bug.

An audio file where left and right channels are identical will sond only in the left ear.

It often happens in talk podcasts, which are recorded with a single microphone, essentially mono. An intro and a closeout, where a stereo music is present would sound normally, while the rest of talking is sent only to the left.

I performed a couple of experiments:

1) I took a music file and copied one channel to the other, re-encoded. Result - the sond is only on the left.

2) I took the podcast that had the problem, and I increased the volume of one of the channels by a small amount (about 1% or 0.1dB). Result - it plays nice in both ears.

I don't see any good reason for such behavior, though I suspect that this is a side efect of the 5.1 emulation "magic".

At the very least, there should be an option to disable any tampering with the original sound file - just play as is. This might be especially important when playing Binaural sounds. So far I have not found such an option.

Extremely frustrating.

Sergey.

EDIT. After further experimentaion, it looks like a bug in mp3 decoder library. The problem happens only when a file is encoded in Joint Stereo mode with both "Mid/Side Stereo" and "Intensity Stereo" enabled, and channel content is identical. It only happens on Epic, everywhere else the files play correctly.

Message was edited by: sqk0316

Journeyman

Related to the Call Waiting bug, there is a hang up bug.  I usually see it filed under 3-way calling problems, but I have it with both a 3-way and call waiting.  If one party hangs up, the phone doesn't recognize it, and worse, you cannot end that call.  Ending any call in fact will hang up all calls.

Journeyman

I didn't see this one on the first list...  I heard the EVO has this mess up...or uhh... false advertisment too.

When you are in a 1X (non-3G area) the 3G icon will be shown instead of a 1X icon.  Only way to fix this is by rooting and flashing a theme where the developer fixed the 1X icon to actually say 1X at the top.  Sprint just copied the 3G icon in the 1X place!

Journeyman

`

Message was edited by: chocju

Journeyman

MasterChiefMas,

My phone was doing the same too and because I talk a lot these problems/BUGS became VERY IGNORING, so I returned it less than 2 weeks after purchasing it.

Journeyman

Your master list doesn't mention the Calendar problem.

Samsung put its own stupid Calendar app on that by default puts all Calendar events on the phone into an unsynched calendar. You need to take extra manual steps every time you create calendar events on it to ensure they get synched to your Gmail account. If events are created automatically by apps on the phone they end up in the unsynched Calendar and you'll lose them if the phone dies or is lost. A significant step back in user experience - everything on a mobile device should be synched by default with the assumption the device could blow up or be lost at any time. And every Android phone accomplishes that... except the Epic. Thanks Samsung.

Journeyman

Here's my issue.

Can't use 3.5mm jack for audio out together with bluetooth for calls.  Very annoying when using in my car.  I have to unplug the 3.5 cable when a call comes in or I can't hear the caller over my car's bluetooth.  This is also a safety issue as I have to take my hands off the wheel to physically unplug the cable to take a call.

Journeyman

The "Menu key" on my two-week old Epic does not respond well.  I usually have to press it more than once to get it to respond.  Has anyone else noticed this issue?  Will the future software updates solve the issue at all or do I have to exchange the phone?

By the way, my husband's Epic had a loose keyboard, but the Sprint store in my neighborhood refused to let us exchange it for another Epic even though Sprint had told me in advance that the exchange would not be an issue at the store.  I had to call again to get it exchanged to a new one by mail and although I got a very nice rep. and that part of the process was fine, the entire process from going to the store and waiting for a credit for the returned phone is a pain in the neck.

I honestly do not want to repeat that exchange-by-mail experience with my Epic since , but I guess if my "Menu key" does not improve within a week or so, I might have to do that.

I'm sincerely tempted to try and roll back the contract renewal extension (done in early Oct.) if I can somehow do it and totally cancel the Sprint service.  My dad got Verizon's Fascinate last night and since the keyboard on our Epics is completely useless for us, the Fascinate looks so much better.

Journeyman

I'll add another:

Incoming call screen not using facebook contact photos.  I don't have photos for all of my contacts, nor do I want to go through and add them.  However most of the people I talk to I also have added as facebook contacts and as such have some photo associated with them.  It'd be nice to have, as I did on my HTC hero before I retired it for the Epic, to have the facebook profile photo of any of my contacts be the one that shows up on the incoming calls screen.  That way a quick glance at my phone without having to take the time to read the text/number and identify who's calling would sure be nice.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Psycloned wrote:

I'll add another:

Incoming call screen not using facebook contact photos.  I don't have photos for all of my contacts, nor do I want to go through and add them.  However most of the people I talk to I also have added as facebook contacts and as such have some photo associated with them.  It'd be nice to have, as I did on my HTC hero before I retired it for the Epic, to have the facebook profile photo of any of my contacts be the one that shows up on the incoming calls screen.  That way a quick glance at my phone without having to take the time to read the text/number and identify who's calling would sure be nice.

Psycloned - when you first get the Epic, it doesn't automatcially connect all your Facebook contacts to your other contacts.

You can sync FB info to a contact by doing this:

1) Open Contacts

2) tap Menu - Get Friends

3) tap Facebook

4) Select the contacts you want to sync with your phone.

Once that's done, the phone will use your Facebook contact info (including profile pic!) when calls come in from that person.

Thanks,

Will

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

Please add:  auto-replace and auto-punctuate does not work on the physical keyboard.

Journeyman

These are the main issues I'm faced with in addition to the fact that I cannot send\receive text messages when WiFi  or 4G is turned on. The phone is not smart enough to know which of it's own built in technology to use based on the service I am trying to use. This means that I have to manually manage  my connectivity via WiFi, 4G and 3G. Makes no sense to me at all.

Oh yeah.. In the last week, my Epic has locked up and will not come on. This happed when I was not using the phone at all and it was in my holster with no apps running. When I pull the phone out, all of the navigation buttons are lit up and the screen is completely black. Nothing works and the only thing I can do is pull the battery to reset it. I did some app updates this week, but have not added any apps in a few weeks. Not sure if this is a hardware issue or an app issue.

Message was edited by: smsboodoo01

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat