cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)

Here are the issues I am experiencing with my Epic phone:

• Google Maps is unable to determine my location. When I first got the Epic and opened Google Maps, I was looking at a map of the U.S. I went into the market and searched for Google Maps and ran the update. When I press the location button in the upper right corner of the map, a message is displayed which says waiting for location. About 30 seconds later, another message is displayed which says your location is temporarily unavailable. I initially experienced this problem with only GPS satellites checked, but I am now experiencing this issue with Wireless networks, GPS Satellites, and location services (the location services that allows Google search to know where I am in order to display relevant search results based on my current location). When it did provide a location, it was at least a mile off from where I was actually located.

I have read through 18 pages on a topic titled "Poor GPS Performance" over at androidcentral.com. I have also read through the discussions on this page, and to me, I seem to be seeing conflicting information. Some posts say to turn off wireless networks because with that option and GPS satellites checked, a location won't be obtained and instead a triangulated location or position will be obtained. Some of the posts indicate that some Epic users have successfully been able to get Google maps to show their location while INSIDE. I got the Epic this past Friday (Dec. 10) and all weekend I spent calling Sprint support and going to the Sprint store to get the GPS issue resolved (in additon to getting the 'network error' message resolved when accessing the market). It worked once I picked my phone up from the repair center, but then four hours later, the same issues came back. I took the Epic back to the store and exchanged it for a NEW one (not reconditioned/remanufactured). Before the exchange was done, Google Maps was tested one last time, and it actually worked. I still decided to go ahead with the exchange.

When I got the new phone, the first thing I did was update Google Maps and then install GPS Test and MyTracks. The GPS on the phone seemed to work according to MyTracks because it accurately detected where I was located and according to GPS Test, the phone was picking up 8-9 satellites with 8-9 being in use. Today, I open up Google Maps from my work location (Miami, FL) and it still shows a map of my home city. I try to get it to update, and it of course displays a message that my location is temporarily unavailable.

• The 4G network is frequently disconnecting and reconnecting. It doesn't stay connected for more than a few seconds. I can get the 4G network to connect if I stand outside of my home. Sprint recently provided Miami, FL with 4G coverage, and yet in this area, I cannot get 4G service.
  • I am consistently getting a network error message when accessing the market.

In speaking with Sprint techs, they say things like "yeah, I get the network error message too, but it doesn't happen that often that it becomes a problem" or "yeah, my Sprint NAV app doesn't load."

These are some significant issues with this phone, and now I am wondering if I should just give up on this phone and go back to the Hero. In regards to the Hero though, I am not at all happy that this phone was "abandoned" as far the froyo update. That was my reasoning for getting the Epic; I wanted to have a phone that would be current and would continue to receive updates. I feel like I am not getting out of this phone, what I am going to have to pay for it each month, especially with the $10 premium data fee for "extra data that I might use, even though I already have the unlimited data plan.

Journeyman

I haven't seen this one mentioned here or maybe its posted elsewhere..

Photos taken in Portrait are displayed in Landscape view when transferred to Facebook or sent through MMS (Handcent) The Photo Gallery displays the pictures correctly whether in portrait or landscape.

To recreate: Take a photo in Portrait. Send the picture via e-mail, text or upload through Facebook app and picture will show in Landscape.

I have heard there are ways of 'correcting' this by 1. Using an app like Photo Express or Picasa to rotate photos 2. Manually rotating the photo from the Picture Gallery (the picture will display incorrectly, but will send with correct orientation) 3. Upload the photo and then manually correct the orientation on that site.

This is an issue I found across several forums..

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/50496-camera-orientation-portrait-uploads-landscape.h...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/sprint-epic-4g/33782-portrait-photos-landscape.html

http://samsunggalaxysforums.com/showthread.php/3194-Upload-Photo-orientation

I didn't switch from TMobile, to get the proclaimed 'Best 4G Phone' only to have to post to threads like this. Get it together Sprint/Samsung. I've been with you less than 30 days and the TMobile G2 is starting to look good.

Journeyman

Thanks, hrana98. This is very helpful. I also encounter the problem with the notification LED flashing for a little while when there's a text message, then nothing after that.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.

Oh yes I have... And I HATE it. Couldn't be anymore annoying. This and another problem with the phone I am having have been my only real complains on this phone.

I love when it tries to exit out of the main screen. Vibrating continuously and flickering until it stops.

Journeyman

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this but my Epic is currently locking the screen out as soon as I make a call and not coming back up no matter what I do to get it back up. All the buttons, but the volume don't work nor will it shut off without a battery pull. It is more than a little annoying. It also had done the opposite and that is to not lock the screen and hang up in the process. I have done both a soft and hard reset and neither fixed this problem. I'm planning on calling Sprint next since samsung doesnt get it...

Journeyman

an EPIC fail. I'm completely dissatisfied with the phone. what is the returning policy? did anybody returned their phone already, what is the procedure, any tips/tricks?

this phone is a proof that companies can create hype by advertisement and marketing even if the product is not that great.

Journeyman

On some usb chargers and aftermarket chargers the touch screen will not work.  The second you unplug it, the screen is once again perfectly responsive.  Even while plugged into one of these chargers everything on the keyboard functions and the touch buttons on the bottom of screen work, just not any part of the normal screen.

Journeyman

Has Sprint and Samsung addressed any of the issues on this laundry list for the Epic 4g? I don't see any evidence that any work has been done or is being done to fix these bugs and issues listed in this thread. Someone from Sprint or Samsung prove me wrong, please. I'd like to think I haven't flushed $249 + $10 per month down a toilet for an inferior product that won't be supported or at least fixed after its release. I know it is somewhat delusional to think otherwise at the moment because as every day goes by without any resolution to any of these issues my sense that this phone is a piece of junk that is being abandoned by Samsung and Sprint is getting stronger.

Finally we got 4g in the Bay Area a few weeks ago. Gee, it only took forever. And still 4g isn't nearly as available as 3g...

And, I'm very disappointed in 4g in Oakland, CA. When 4g works where I live (because it isn't even available in Berkeley where I work), the speeds aren't even as good as 3g. Also the upload speeds seem to be capped like the 3g upload speeds were capped when we first got our Epics. What's up with that?

As if that wasn't annoying enough, when I have 4g at home it cuts in and out every few minutes. I cannot rely on 4g consistently anywhere I've received it in the Bay Area because it cuts in and out no matter where I've gotten a 4g signal. This is unacceptable because we are supposed to be paying $10 per month for a "premium data experience" (whatever that is). 4g that doesn't even have the speeds that 3g offers that cuts in and out isn't what I would call a "premium data experience." I call it false advertizing and a rip off.

This isn't merely about the blatantly horrible way that the Froyo update has been mishandled and stalled. I'm beginning to believe that we may never actually see a funtional Froyo and that we will never see Gingerbread.

This is about the real consistent bugs and issues that we customers who have purchased the Epic have been dealing with since release that have not been addressed. It's been 4,5,6 months now. For those of us early adopters 1/4 of our contract is over and we still haven't seen any attempt at resolving anything listed on this thread or anything that gets added to this thread as we discover more bugs and issues.

I, for one, have begun to believe that Samsung and Sprint are already in the process of abandoning this phone. I'm trying to believe that they haven't completely abandoned this phone yet because they are allegedly going to roll out Froyo (bugs included to be sure) allegedly "any day now." (for the past few months) But, I'm less than impressed with Samsung and Sprint's support for the Epic.

There has been an almost complete absence of any talk of resolving our bugs, issues, and complaints. I know I won't be buying a Samsung product ever again. I'm starting to re-evaluate my 10+ years of loyalty to Sprint. Maybe it's time to just jump ship to a carrier that is more responsive to customer identified bugs, issues, and complaints.

Journeyman

Well spoken SIMCHALAND1, I agree completely.  The degree of support shown by both Samsung and Sprint is appalling and I feel very ripped-off! 

I too have had very limited opportunities to connect via 4G and when I have the performance has been, for the large majority of the time, quite poor.  This has been in the northern Virginia, D.C. and New York city areas.  I accept that some problems with a new release phone may reasonably be expected, given the rapidly changing environment.  But the basis of my concern rests in the fact Samsung seem to offer virtually NO support for a phone that has been on the market only about 6 months, and Sprint seem to be doing the same (while collecting an extra $10/mth for a service I feel they do not deliver). 

The focus appears to be on marketing the next phone, not supporting the ones currently on the street.  Right now I'm thinking I should have stayed with Verizon. ("Yes" I'm THAT disappointed with Sprint).

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing.

I have the same problem. did you find a fix?

Journeyman

I have never sued anyone in my life.  But the more I experience myself and after reading about problem after problem it would seem a class action lawsuit may be appropriate.  Does anyone know if this has been mentioned?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G Bug List - Test your phones and add any I'm missing. (updated)

OK, so it's now the middle of march.  Froyo has been released, has it seemed to help any of the issues with the Epic?  Are these issues with teh Epic still as prevelant as they were in teh eginning or have they been fixed or worked out?  I'm looking between the Epic and the Evo Shift to replace my TP2 that has stopped working so I've been net surfing to find out about problems these two phones have so I don't get burned again with a $200 phone that only lasts for a few months.

Thanks.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat