cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G FROYO Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G FROYO Update

I have seen that this question has been asked already..however, I am rather new to this forum and I was wondering are any of these forums monitored by Sprint, etc.?   I certainly am encouraged when I see that certainly others out there are having the same questions and concerns; however, why isn't there some sort of response to these questions by Sprint?  I have been with Sprint for over 10 years and have been generally pleased with their products and rates...not necessarily their service-in store, online or over the phone.

This is really disappointing to see all these customers wanting information on a new product that Sprint has promoted, but yet leaves it customers wondering and guessing.  It is completely un-sat having to scower the the web for myths and folklore about updates and information when Sprint should just release a definitive answer.  I already had to leave Blackberry since Sprint didn't get the Torch  and the BB 6.0 update, this was painful...though not completely Sprint's fault.  So now I have made the leap to droid, on one of Sprint's premier phones, and now again I am waiting and wondering on updates, etc.  Sprint's rates have always been extremely competitive and this has been one of the main reasons for staying with Sprint...they don't nickel and dime you with text, data, etc.  However, it is just important to maintain high quality products and support. Perhaps Sprint is happy with just being the No.3 provider and this is just what you get...I am not sure if this is Mr. Hess's philosophy or what.  Sure no provider is perfect...but their pursuit of excellence and customer satisfaction should be apparent.

-Frustrated Sprint Customer

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G FROYO Update

As far as the update is concerned, Samsung, the manufacturer of the phone, states that we will have the 2.2 update by the end of the year.  Check out http://twitter.com/galaxyssupport and you'll see their responses.  Remember, Sprint sells the service, Samsung manufacturers the phone and releases the updates to the service providers.

Journeyman

Thanks Russ...I sure hope so.  Is it true that Samsung has released FROYO on the Epic in other countries?

Journeyman

Athough Froyo has been released to the Galaxy S phones in Europe, there is no Samsung Epic 4G phone there.  However, its other family members in the Galaxy S series phones are getting the upgrade there right now.

Journeyman

As Russ stated, the service is provided by Sprint, the device is manufactured by Samsung. I also heard that the reason FROYO was not released for the Epic is because of the issues that are still afflicting FROYO. Until the bugs are pretty much worked out, you will probably be waiting for a FROYO update for your EPIC. But seeing the issues that affected the EVO when FROYO was first released, I'd wait until they have a full fledged working version of Android 2.2

Journeyman

Greetings,

I am not completely convinced that the Froyo update for the Epic 4G is completely dependent on Samsung.  If the Epic 4G is the flagship for the "S" series...why would Samsung leave the Epic 4G out or last?  I believe Sprint has their normal testing and CDMA issues that makes updates delayed, etc.  I ran into this same issue with Sprint with BB...other providers would already have the new OS, update and Sprint would be last in getting the update officially released or they would claim the update is not compatible with Sprint and fail to provide at all.  I certainly appreciate Sprint seemingly working to make sure that updates are tested and are compatible with their network, but it seems a bit extreme at times.

Currently, there is a leaked version of FROYO for the Epic...

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/11/13/samsung-epic-4g-galaxy-s-android-2-2-froyo-update-unofficially-a...

I am waiting to see how long it will take for Sprint/Samsung to officially release it for Epic 4G.  I think that  Sprint and Samsung should just skip the 2.2 and go straight to Gingerbread they are already one OS behind...others agree.

http://www.androidcentral.com/froyo-leaks-epic-4g-vibrant

V/r,

Winston

Journeyman

Wizard

When the upgrade is available, it will be posted on this forum.  You can watch for a new thread to be posted in the Samsung Epic community and/or subscribe to the Samsung Epic Maintenance Release blog to receive a notification when it's available.  Often there will be leaked versions on other sites...use those at your own risk.  

In addition, Sprint's support pages contain information about the maintenance releases for the devices.  Here is a link to the Epic's support page: http://support.sprint.com/support/device/Samsung/Samsung_Epic_4G-dvc2200001prd.  The software upgrade information is about half-way down the page on the left under the advanced section of 'How do I'.

Journeyman

ey guys i update my galaxys epic to android 2.2 and let me u know it is very awesome , watch this  and do that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7jLvtppBQ this guy explain how u can update your phone to froyo believe me sorry for my writting but i want all u guys get froyo like

Journeyman

well the leak is not unofficial it actually is official b4 the sprint apps it does not update your sprint apps but once installed all apps update themselves to be compat with 2.2 it also is a leaked ver from sprint just that its for dev not publicactually its 100 X better than 2.1 and its not been any problems much faster,no lags, no FC's and its more customizable so i doubt it if when sprint finally dishes it out it will be any diif and being that u cant be rooted to install it it has to be a sighned pre release or ur phone wouldnt download it without being rooted..

Journeyman

hey, thanks for the updates, however i beleive the link to the support page is broken, i get one of those stupid oops messages when i click it. is there any news from sprint as to 2.3 being released anytime soon, because id much rather have that than 2.2, not that froyo wont be a nice update. again thanks and keep up the good work

Wizard

Try http://support.sprint.com/support/device/Samsung/Samsung_Epic_4G-dvc2200001prd instead.  It looks like the sentence-ending period got included in the link for some reason.

As far as 2.3 being released, considering we're still waiting for 2.2, I wouldn't expect 2.3 any time soon.  From what I've read around the web, it is generally expected to come, but I don't know what Sprint's or Samsung's official stance or timeline is on Gingerbread for the Epic.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat