cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G - NO OUTLOOK Support!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G - NO OUTLOOK Support!

Well, that certainly was a rude surprise... First the Sprint store could NOT migrate my contacts from the old Motorola V3 phone to the new Epic, then when I get home, find that there is NO SUPPORT FOR OUTLOOK on the phone. So the several hundred contacts and all my calendar information, carefully saved and updated on my computer, is unable to be synchronized on the phone.

I wish that fact had been better publicized before now. When will OUTLOOK support be added?

Message was edited by: jcarlet7088

Message was edited by: jcarlet7088

66 REPLIES 66
Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G - NO OUTLOOK Support!

Create a G-mail account

Upload your contacts from outlook to G-mail

Then sync the phone to G-mail

I got my EPIC this morning and all of my G-mail and Facebook contact synced up perfectly

Master

Samsung does not have a software application to sync with Outlook on the computer. I don't think they do for any of their phones.

There is bound to be an application in the Market that can do this somehow though. I know Google provides Calendar Sync which installs on the computer and will sync up with your Google Calendar, that's gets half of it done. http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=89955

You can export your contacts from Outlook to a CSV file, and then import that into Gmail to put them on the phone, but that's only a 1-time thing, it doesn't stay synchronized.

A quick search foudn this too, but I don't know anything about it. It seems to be able to do what you need though, and looks free. http://www.kayxo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=59

Journeyman

So what y'all are saying basically is: I can UPLOAD ALL MY CONTACTS TO A CLOUD (over which I have no control or my information or it's use) or I can (possibly) buy a third party application that *might* work.... or I can punt.

I prefer NOT to use somebody else's cloud to store my secure data (just my personal preference).  So I guess it will be be buy a third party app that might be disabled with the next relese of software and hope for the best.

I just think it is curious that Samsung would not have this functionality in it's initial release.  This is the 6th 'smart' phone I have purchased over the years from Sprint, and the first I have been surprised with lack of basic local contacts and calendaring support. (2 Palm, 3 Windows mobile, and now 2 Android. My EVO has Outlook support, why not this one???) I hope Sprint rectifies this ASAP.

Master

jcarlet7088 wrote:

So what y'all are saying basically is: I can UPLOAD ALL MY CONTACTS TO A CLOUD (over which I have no control or my information or it's use) or I can (possibly) buy a third party application that *might* work.... or I can punt.

I prefer NOT to use somebody else's cloud to store my secure data (just my personal preference).  So I guess it will be be buy a third party app that might be disabled with the next relese of software and hope for the best.

I just think it is curious that Samsung would not have this functionality in it's initial release.  This is the 6th 'smart' phone I have purchased over the years from Sprint, and the first I have been surprised with lack of basic local contacts and calendaring support. (2 Palm, 3 Windows mobile, and now 2 Android. My EVO has Outlook support, why not this one???) I hope Sprint rectifies this ASAP.

In Samsung's defense, Android (made by Google) does not natively support any kind of software sync with Outlook, it is designed to sync with your Google account wirelessly, hence the options of syncing Outlook through that Google account. HTC has their own sync program (HTC Sync) but it is not a regular Android application, HTC makes it specifically for their phones only.

In addition Palm's new WebOS is entirely cloud-based as well. Any kind of direct sync with Outlook requires third-party applications. The onld Palm Desktop application is no longer supported as Palm OS is gone.

If you are worried about cloud syncing, make sure your phone is set not to sync your contacts and calendar with your Google account (default behavior).

Patron

I am truly disappointed also and can't believe Samsung won't support the Outlook sync. It is really suck!!!

Journeyman

A simple search turned up Companionlink, which seems designed for this reason.  I am just looking for other, less expensive ways to do it.  A bit frustrating, true, but I understand after I heard that the Outlook sync through HTC was because of HTC, not android.

Journeyman

Interesting that many choose to blame Samsung or even Android....  very reactionary --  This was a Sprint decision.

Samsung does offer a software sync from Outlook to its Galaxy mobiles... Sprint just chose not to support or offer a branded verion of it:

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/mobile-phones/mobile-phones/infotainment/GT-I9000HKDXSG/index.idx...

notice that it will sync with a Galaxy i9000 or a ATT Captivate.   Sprint Epic's do not offer the USB PC Studio connection mode to utilize the manufacturer's application.

We can certainly understand Googles interest in pushing you into their online cloud, and even understnad Samsung's homegrown application to bridge the gap. 

Sprint should offer either their own solution or enable us to utilize the samsung application through PCStudio mode.

Journeyman

Also remember that with any phone launch, certain functionality may be missing and will take a month or two before the problem is identified and resolved. I ran into the same problem with my EVO and two months later all my issues have been addressed. 

Sprint Product Ambassador

Android phones aren't built like the old-school hardwire nonconnected phones of back in the day.  The ones where you had to plug it into your computer every day and copy your mail around and sync your contacts.  They're set up to sync all the time with the cloud, your Google, Facebook, Twitter, Exchange accounts.

That being said, a third party has seen the need for desktop outlook sync support and offers a product called 'The Missing Sync'.

You can find more about that at:

http://www.markspace.com/products/android/missing-sync-android.html

Thanks, and good luck with your new Epic!

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

Companion Link can be downloaded to all Outlook to sync with the Epic. www.companionlink.com There is a free 14 day trial or purchase for $39.99.

Journeyman

I too was frustrated with this when I got the Samsung Moment, but at least I was prepared when I got this phone. I have been using CompanionLink for a couple months and it works "ok". I am not thrilled with it, but it is being constantly updated and does support full contacts, calendar, tasks and notes sync. Missing Sync was the other option I had considered but at the time it did not support tasks sync which is critical for me. I know that was a planned addition, and it also syncs a lot of other data (music and photos and bookmarks etc.) so i may be a better choice now.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat