cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G - Silence incoming notification?

Journeyman

Epic 4G - Silence incoming notification?

Does anyone know how to silence the ringer for an incoming message? I don't want to put it on silent, just when it starts "ringing" to silince it. I used to have the Instict HD and when a msg came thru, you could just dismiss it or hit the volume button and it muted it. I can't find that on the Epic 4G

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G - Silence incoming notification?

As the phone starts ringing, quickly press and release the power button. The screen also goes dark, but if you light it up again (by quickly pressing and releasing the power button), you will see that the call is still "ringing". Hope this helps.

Note: I am a Sprint Employee & a Samsung Epic 4G Product Ambassador; but mostly I'm a customer just like you

Journeyman

ZenUnwired, I've tried that and it does not work.

To silence an incoming text message I have to first hit the power button to turn on the screen, then unlock the phone. The messages screen should automatically appear at this point and only then will the notification silence itself. Pain in the butt when you've been accustomed to silencing calls and text messages while the phone is still in your pocket.

Note: I am a tech savvy software developer; but mostly just annoyed by the absence of such an obvious feature.

Sprint Product Ambassador

I know smacking the power or volume button will shut the phone ringer up; never tried to shut the incoming text message ringer off.  How long is your text message notification sound?

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's about 20 or 30 seconds long. It's the Nightman song from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (awesome show). But silencing a text message notification, or any notification for that matter, should be standard, and I believe it is standard on most phones. Hopefully the Froyo 2.2 update will fix this. Pressing any hardware button should silence notifications.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat