cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile

Journeyman

When I dial *2 it says there's a profile and a PRL update available bit it will not update either one. All I get is Network Error, Unknown Error or Internal Error. I've two of these phones that came with Android 2.2.1. Using the System Updates under About Phone does exactly the same thing, different one of those three error messages each time.

The updates worked right out of the box when I got the phones, but since that first time all I get is the error messages.

Where I live there's 3G service, which has only been available since shortly before I got these phones. Which is why I switchched from the company which starts with V, until Sprint finally got 3G here, V was the only one with 3G here - and I wasn't about to pay them another $30 a month! (Unlimited everything except to/from landlines on Sprint for little more than I was paying V for voice only, not even texting!) No 4G here yet from Sprint or anyone else.

12 REPLIES
Wizard

Hello g_alan_e, at this time you should expect to see unknown error while trying to update your PRL or profile at this time we advise halt all use of the Update PRL option on the device, Sprint is investigating the issue currently and more information will be provided as it becomes available.

Journeyman

I haven't been able to update PRL or Profile since like May(ish).... When is Sprint going to come out with a fix for this??? It's rather annoying since a tower just when up by my work to which I barely get service in.

Journeyman

I called customer service, which tried to push the PRL update but even that failed. Also tried several other things to try to force it to update but all that did was un-program the phone so had to manually re-activate it.

I suspect it has something to do with my Epics having numbers ported from Verizon. Whatever the problem is, Sprint needs to get a fix out SOON. How about restoring the EPST function that Android 2.1 had?

I was on a trip to Oklahoma City the middle of July and could not get any 4G signal, likely due to the outdated PRL. Sprint told me I'd better be able to get 4G in OKC because that's where their company headquarters is!

Wizard

Re: Epic 4G Won't update PRL or profile

An out of date PRL will have little or, more likely, no  effect on 3G coverage and no effect at all on 4G service. It's very unlikely that you would experience any problems due to an out-of-date PRL. As far as updating the Data Profile; this is done to download the 3G data settings to the device. If your 3G web is working, a data profile update will have no effect.

Oklahoma City has no official 4G coverage but it does have a certain amount of 4G testing taking place all over the city. You can view user created 4G maps if you download an app called Sensorly. I hope this helps!

Journeyman

Well as of August 2nd the PRL update is still not working? What is going on with this?

Wizard

at this time you should expect to see unknown error while trying to update your PRL or profile at this time we advise halt all use of the Update PRL option on the device, The pending software release should correct this when it is made available.

Journeyman

The solution is to go to the regular phone dial screen then type in is ##72786# . This will bring up a screen where you will need to enter the MSL for your phone (get MSL number from Sprint). This will leave your data, applications, settings etc. intact but will wipe the Sprint data and put you back in activation mode. This solves the PRL or Firmware update problem and is known by some Sprint reps.

This soulution is also posted in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/321061   and a few others...

Apparently doing ##786# will clear their data AND all of yours if that is what you want to do...

Journeyman

It's been off and on for the past month or so with not anything wanting to update.  This is INSANE!  I have been happy with Sprint until now.  Seems like everytime there is a "new" better phone this happens more often.  Fix the issues!  Or credit all the customers accordingly for improper services to the phones!

Journeyman

Any idea when this problem will be fixed?? I am having the same issue and have been for months. I really want to be able to update my phone.