Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G screen will not lock out!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G screen will not lock out!

Hey all,

I have had this phone for about 1.5 weeks coming from an iPhone4 and need a touch screen phone that can lock out immediately. When I first got the phone the power button would lock out the touch screen, but a few days later it does not work anymore. My quick fix was to time out the screen in 15 seconds, the shortest timeout, so it does not open an app in my pocket?

I need to try a soft restart by taking out the battery with phone on or powercycle the battery out with phone off?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

J

10 REPLIES 10
Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G screen will not lock out!

Same thing is happening to me.

Journeyman

It works not, power it off and then take out the battery and leave it out for 5 minutes, then put battery back in and power on.  THis worked and now the power button works to lock out the touch screen.  I think it is good for the phone anyhow too.

J

Journeyman

Having same problem with screen lock for past few days since downloading the most recent software update.  Tried your fix (powering off, taking out battery for 5+ minutes, and then powering back on), but power button still not working to lock screen.  The power button itself is working, as I can use the power button to unlock the screen and pull up the shut down options, it just won't lock the screen when the phone is active (it will re-lock the screen, if I haven't put in my unlock pattern).  Anyone experiencing similar problem and have recommended fix (other than getting a screen lock app)?  Thanks.

Journeyman

I found a post on androidforums of someone with the same problem suggesting updating the phone, even though it is up to date.  Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Update and update everything.  I tried this, and this was the only thing that worked for me to fix the screen lockout issue.

Journeyman

Confirmed the update workaround:

I experienced the same issue; power button did not lock screen.

Upon updating my just PRL (oddly enough) the power button now functions as it previously did.

Note that my PRL wasn't actually updated and PRL should have nothing to do with this so it's probably some other process that occurs during the above step.

Very strange.

Journeyman

I recently experienced the same problem with my screen lock button.  Updating my PRL also fixed the issue.  I don't know why, but it did...

Journeyman

Update prl fixed it for me too. Only thing I updated and it worked. Thanks for the tip!

Journeyman

I was having this same problem, updated PRL as well and it fixed it. I don't know how this makes any sense but it does work.

Journeyman

sure we're all saying "update the PRL... yeah just update the PRL of course!" and yes i was able to fix the same problem by in fact "updating the PRL" ......... but does anyone know what PRL MEANS??? and further does anyone know WHY ths problem occurred?? because if it was something i did I'd really like to avoid it in the future. what were some of the things you all did with your phones leading up to the scren lock buttom problem? i know that the only thing out of the ordinary that i did was i most recently changed my phone number and at the store when i did it they didnt tell me I'd have to update anything on my handset so when i wasnt getting any voicemails (or even whole phone calls sometmes!), i immediately started digging around in the settings to try to find a solution. i ended up going into about phone > system updates > update profile. it updated and restarted my phone and that fixed my voicemail problem and in "phone info" or whatever it now said my new #. but it was right after THAT that i noticed the screen locking thing developed. but yeah so thats what i did. what did you all do right before your lock button issue?? maybe we can stop some people from making the same mistake (if one was also made on your ends) we did.

Journeyman

PRL is an ordered database of frequencies in CDMA phones used to determine which systems to connect to. It's most notably necessary for roaming.

However, given the responses here, one probably shouldn't believe that the function of the actual PRL is related to the problem so much as the technicalities of what happens when you hit the "update PRL" button, regardless of whether an update actually occurs. The problem hasn't happened to me since and I've owned my phone for 6+ months now.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat