cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

If there was a third party app installed on the Moment it would have been installed by sprint or Samsung. When I got the bluetooth, I paired it and it worked 100% fine. It didnt come with any software nor did I download any software. Assuming then that either sprint or Samsung loaded "Something" why not load it on other devices? To sell a device which isnt funtional in a critical area is wrong, especially to sell it and not disclose it prior to purchase. If there IS a third party app out there someplace, I want it. For many people voice dialing is critical, some states require it, not having it disables use. This is why the EPIC ( which I think is a great phone), is a problem. BTW, I think Sprint may acknowledge this, they have told me I could swap it for  an EVO. I like that phone as well, however, it doesnt have a keyboard, it was a big factor in choosing the Epic, I have sites I need to be on which are form based, the EVO on screen keyboard covers the entire screen, you cant see the form while typing, also, there are situations, outdoors, where the sun pretty much wipes out the screen, with the keyboard, you can still type a message. The EVO simply doesnt work well for me. Like I said, the EPIC is a great phone, I do like it.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

MLANDAU1 wrote:

If there was a third party app installed on the Moment it would have been installed by sprint or Samsung. When I got the bluetooth, I paired it and it worked 100% fine. It didnt come with any software nor did I download any software. Assuming then that either sprint or Samsung loaded "Something" why not load it on other devices? To sell a device which isnt funtional in a critical area is wrong, especially to sell it and not disclose it prior to purchase. If there IS a third party app out there someplace, I want it. For many people voice dialing is critical, some states require it, not having it disables use. This is why the EPIC ( which I think is a great phone), is a problem. BTW, I think Sprint may acknowledge this, they have told me I could swap it for  an EVO. I like that phone as well, however, it doesnt have a keyboard, it was a big factor in choosing the Epic, I have sites I need to be on which are form based, the EVO on screen keyboard covers the entire screen, you cant see the form while typing, also, there are situations, outdoors, where the sun pretty much wipes out the screen, with the keyboard, you can still type a message. The EVO simply doesnt work well for me. Like I said, the EPIC is a great phone, I do like it.

Sorry no it wouldn't.  You are ASSUMING so.  Look at the Cliq (1.5) and the Droid(2.0) for example.  The Cliq had a 3rd party voice dialer, but the Droid did not have any sort installed.  There are other devices out there that are the same way between devices of the same manufacturer.  T-Mobile had nothing to do with it being installed.  It was a Blur addon and all blur devices have the same dialer, while Droid was pure vanilla android which is why it never came with Voice Dialer, and the same with the Nexus One.  Droid and Nexus One got voice dialing when 2.2 was released for those devices.

You could have done some research about the subject before buying the phone, before assuming every device out there had voice dial.  FYI not all devices have it even the lowly cheap devices out there.

If you want Voice dial that bad download a 3rd party dialer.  Most of them are FREE.

Message was edited by: Tidbits808

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

Well, actually, I did do some research, when I went to sprint, I wasnt thinking of buying it till January, but they talked me into it, since I liked it. When I had bought the bluetooth, they also said it should work, in this case, with the EPIC, it was when they first came out, the Sprint store said it would work just like it did on the Moment. What ever software that WAS on it came with the phone, NOTHING was added, so, it had to come from Sprint. I was given bad information which I had relied on. BTW, apparently they knew this happened, they offered to exchange it with an EVO, but it has no keyboard.

I have looked for a third party app on the sprint store, I havent found one yet, maybe I will get lucky.

Samsung has a line of Bluetooth on their web site, they claim it is "Certified" to work with 2.1. Check it out...however, when you speak to them on the phone, as I did, they tell you it WONT work, not till 2.2 and they dont know or wont tell, when that will be.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

MLANDAU1 wrote:

Well, actually, I did do some research, when I went to sprint, I wasnt thinking of buying it till January, but they talked me into it, since I liked it. When I had bought the bluetooth, they also said it should work, in this case, with the EPIC, it was when they first came out, the Sprint store said it would work just like it did on the Moment. What ever software that WAS on it came with the phone, NOTHING was added, so, it had to come from Sprint. I was given bad information which I had relied on. BTW, apparently they knew this happened, they offered to exchange it with an EVO, but it has no keyboard.

I have looked for a third party app on the sprint store, I havent found one yet, maybe I will get lucky.

Samsung has a line of Bluetooth on their web site, they claim it is "Certified" to work with 2.1. Check it out...however, when you speak to them on the phone, as I did, they tell you it WONT work, not till 2.2 and they dont know or wont tell, when that will be.

Again the Moment is much like the Cliq where it has a third party app PREINSTALLED, and the Epic is more like the Droid where there was no such app preinstalled.  Not ALL apps come from Sprint.  For example the Nexus One comes with Facebook, and Twitter preinstalled.  AT&T, and T-Mobile have no control over it, and when manufacturers added 2.2 to their devices those apps are there regardless if you want it or not.  Due to agreements with Google they can't remove Google apps.  As I said you ASSUMED that all devices should have it, but that's not the case.  Not all devices from the cheap phones to the expensive phones out there don't always have voice dialing.  IF it was that important to you then you would have tested it before you even purchased it and walked out that door.  Sorry if I sound hard nosed, but that's how I was raised.  Make sure it has what you want before you spend a dime.  If it doesn't don't buy it as you would save time, money, and a whole lot of headaches.

Then you are not looking hard enough, or you probably haven't search at all.  Check the market, and even Sprint Tab has one and that one is free.  There's a lot more if you searched the market.

Samsung Epic - Makes no mention that the Epic does do Voice Dialing.  Yes Bluetooth works with the Epic and the website isn't wrong.   You can listen, and talk with your headset.  They are telling you VOICE DIALING won't work as it's not a feature that the Epic has out of the box.  I think this is where you misunderstood.

Bluetooth has multiple profiles, and until 2.2 happens some of the profiles are NOT present, and it requires a 3rd party app to make it work.  Not all manufacturers will add them.  This has NOTHING to do with Sprint, T-mobile, Verizon, AT&T, and/or various carriers out there in the world.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

This guy is not so bright, you should get all the info about a device before you buy bluetooth doing voice dialing is a secondary feature to everything else the phone does. I suggest this guy stop being a bitch and wait for 2.2.

Lake

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

While I agree its nice to try before you buy, but it doesnt always work that way. Give it time, you will find that out. In this case, and Im not griping, I did ask specfically about the voice dialing, I was told it would, in fact, sprint realised this, the manager offered to replace it with and EVO as a result. I didnt want that, the Epic has the keyboard which I need. Sometimes, when a company tells you something you accept it. I bet you dont take a new car to a mechanic to make sure everything works before you take delivery.  You accept it will work as stated. BTW, I did look for a TPA that could do it, I didnt have luck, nor did the Sprint store, they looked as well, if you have a URL for one, Id appreciate it. I sure wouldnt want to have to sit down and write one, my programming days are over, I hate it. If I have to wait for 2.2 fine, I will, Sprint gave me a wired headset/mic to use for now, the bluetooth is better.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

MLANDAU1 wrote:

While I agree its nice to try before you buy, but it doesnt always work that way. Give it time, you will find that out. In this case, and Im not griping, I did ask specfically about the voice dialing, I was told it would, in fact, sprint realised this, the manager offered to replace it with and EVO as a result. I didnt want that, the Epic has the keyboard which I need. Sometimes, when a company tells you something you accept it. I bet you dont take a new car to a mechanic to make sure everything works before you take delivery.  You accept it will work as stated. BTW, I did look for a TPA that could do it, I didnt have luck, nor did the Sprint store, they looked as well, if you have a URL for one, Id appreciate it. I sure wouldnt want to have to sit down and write one, my programming days are over, I hate it. If I have to wait for 2.2 fine, I will, Sprint gave me a wired headset/mic to use for now, the bluetooth is better.

Actually you are still wrong here.  You are trying to justify yourself, and I showed you evidence in my previous post.  There is NO issue as the device was NEVER advertised to have that feature.  Also 2.1 straight from Google will not have that feature as well.  It isn't native until 2.2 for Android.  If a manufacturer wants to add it well they can add it, but don't expect it to have it if it isn't advertised.  You still have options on downloading one which you just recently found you pointed out in a another post of yours.

The Sprint employee made the mistake, but it's still not a bluetooth issue as it was NEVER on the device to begin with.  They offered to rectify it, but YOU opted not to take it.

Also when I look over buying a car if it didn't work like how they said it would work I would have returned it.  I still would have test drove the car and tested everything that was important to me to make sure it works how I want it.  I would have looked for something that worked for me.  If they offer to rectify it well then It would be my choice to take it or not.  How come you didn't return it, or found a way to rectify it.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

The point of my post was to find out if anyone knew of an app that would help, you mentioned it but dont seem to have any interest in sharing where this app can be found, I couldnt find it, Sprint couldnt find it. Im not sure what your point is here. When a vendor you trust makes a claim, you can accept that, as I did, they made a mistake, they admitted it, they offered the EVO, I dont want an EVO, had I wanted it, thats what I would have gotten. You seem to be fixated on my trying to justify this, I dont have anything to justify. BTW, I DOUBT you would not accept something like that when its given by someone you trust, you claiming "Check it out completely" is fine but doubtful in all cases as you make it seem. Why didnt I return the phone? Thats easy, I LIKE the phone. Its a GREAT phone. Had I not thought that, Id have not bought it. BTW, I talked to Samsung again, it works on the Moment because it IS a native app by SAMSUNG. Its not on the Epic because that software would not work on the Epic, they said, They didnt rewrite it because it will be in 2.2 and its on the radar now, it wasnt with the Moment. Its not a third party app. The fact that it worked fine on the Moment ( btw it wasnt an advertised feature) was reason to accept what Sprint said on face value. Its ok, it happens, they were wrong, its not a big deal and certainly not worth your fixation on not checking it further. Its only a phone guy...a few hundred bucks, in a year or two I'll throw it away and get something else. Now, if you DO know a URL where someone has an app that helps, great tell me, please. It will save me the time of having to come up with a workaround.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

MLANDAU1 wrote:

The point of my post was to find out if anyone knew of an app that would help, you mentioned it but dont seem to have any interest in sharing where this app can be found, I couldnt find it, Sprint couldnt find it. Im not sure what your point is here. When a vendor you trust makes a claim, you can accept that, as I did, they made a mistake, they admitted it, they offered the EVO, I dont want an EVO, had I wanted it, thats what I would have gotten. You seem to be fixated on my trying to justify this, I dont have anything to justify. BTW, I DOUBT you would not accept something like that when its given by someone you trust, you claiming "Check it out completely" is fine but doubtful in all cases as you make it seem. Why didnt I return the phone? Thats easy, I LIKE the phone. Its a GREAT phone. Had I not thought that, Id have not bought it. BTW, I talked to Samsung again, it works on the Moment because it IS a native app by SAMSUNG. Its not on the Epic because that software would not work on the Epic, they said, They didnt rewrite it because it will be in 2.2 and its on the radar now, it wasnt with the Moment. Its not a third party app. The fact that it worked fine on the Moment ( btw it wasnt an advertised feature) was reason to accept what Sprint said on face value. Its ok, it happens, they were wrong, its not a big deal and certainly not worth your fixation on not checking it further. Its only a phone guy...a few hundred bucks, in a year or two I'll throw it away and get something else. Now, if you DO know a URL where someone has an app that helps, great tell me, please. It will save me the time of having to come up with a workaround.

Uh no you said it was the device that is the problem on your second post.  So pretty much the first few sentences are FALSE so now you changed the subject completely to find an app that allows voice dialing and I have already told you there's one where you can download from the market in the Sprint tab, and a lot more in the market.  You don't need a URL.  Just look and you should see it.  Sorry I don't feel like telling you the one that's on Sprint Tab.  If you actually looked you'd figure it out and wouldn't keep asking the same question.

I am trying to tell you that the device itself is NOT the problem.  You are still fixated on a device that does have it and YOU assumed that this device should have it too.  If you LOOKED at all the devices out there from high end to low end you will see NOT ALL the devices have it from One manufacturer to the next manufacturer.  Look at ANY 2.1 or below device and you will no NATIVE voice dialing, but certain devices like the moment or the cliq will have voice dialing, but it IS NOT native.  It's a third party app preinstalled, and has nothing to do with the device itself or the OS.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

Well, last post for ya. You are an idiot. I think the problem is you are more interested in being some sort of "Right" expert. It sounds to me like you dont know squat, not even what the word  "Native" means in relation to this. What you are claiming to know, sprint doesnt even know, Samsung doesnt know.  Yes there are all kinds of apps out there, if there IS one that does what I want, they nor I found it. It may exist, you may have happened to run across it. I dunno, you dont want to say, it makes me think you dont know, havent seen one and IF you did and now claim you dont want to say, you are also a jerk. Grow up, get a life.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

MLANDAU1 wrote:

Well, last post for ya. You are an idiot. I think the problem is you are more interested in being some sort of "Right" expert. It sounds to me like you dont know squat, not even what the word  "Native" means in relation to this. What you are claiming to know, sprint doesnt even know, Samsung doesnt know.  Yes there are all kinds of apps out there, if there IS one that does what I want, they nor I found it. It may exist, you may have happened to run across it. I dunno, you dont want to say, it makes me think you dont know, havent seen one and IF you did and now claim you dont want to say, you are also a jerk. Grow up, get a life.

Native means that if removed it would have adverse affect on the OS.  If you removed the Moments voice dialing then it would have no adverse affect to bluetooth.  It would run how it should.  Now if you removed it from 2.2 there would be problems with bluetooth and would need to be rewritten to accomidate.  All that application does is add a profile that is not present natively to the OS.  When you remove it it removes the profile without having to rewrite the code so therefor it's not a native app.

I don't care if you call me a jerk, but the facts are the facts.  If you don't like the facts, that's your problem.  I never said I was an expert, and you are the one calling me out.  So I defend my statements with facts on the matter. You keep trying to defend your statements with personal opinion.

I told you where to look for the app now you are calling me out on that fact.  If you looked you would have seen the app, and it's VERY hard to miss if you actually looked.  I can tell you didn't look or you lack any reading comprehension.  With the way you said this is a phone problem which the evidence points to no problem at all.  You can Google it and you will find that anything up to 2.1 DOES NOT have voice dialing natively and any device that does has a 3rd party app installed to compensate if the manufacturer chooses to.

Just wait for 2.2 and you will see there will be no app installed that the moment has and it's native to the OS.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g Bluetooth Issues

Sheesh guy,

"A native application is one designed to run in the computer environment (machine language and OS) being referenced. The term is used to contrast a native application with an interpreted one such as a Java application that is not native to a single platform. The term may also be used to contrast a native application with an emulated application, which was originally written for a different platform."


The Moment has software, integrated into the OS by Samsung, you remove the voice dial, you remove the bluetooth. The issue ISNT in voice dial, the Epic DOES have voice dial, it works fine if you use the internal mic or an external CORDED mic. The problem lies in directing the input FROM the bluetooth and the software recognizing the command from the wireless mic. As, Ive told you, the Android Market and Sprint tab have software, none seem to work with the Epic. There are only few which talk about having blue tooth voice dialing, they dont work on the Epic. You said you knew of one, that there were several... if you DO know of one that works on the Epic, post it, Im sure there are many people who will enjoy it.

I WILL wait for 2.2, I dont want to spend the time writting something like that what with 2.2 already being rolled out in Asia, we should have it soon. The whole point of this... Voice dial is required in some states, hands free as well. It would be nice to have it so the phone could be used. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat