cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4g freezing up

Journeyman

Epic 4g freezing up

i've seen numerius posts about issues with the latest update cqusing problems with the Epic.  my wife loved this phone until the last few weeks.  she finally said something to me abot her phone freezing many times a day and having to pull battery to reboot.  we took to sprint store saturday and they did hard reset and said if was not anything app related but software update related.  They said just don't install update but it is annoying that the screen pops up daily and throughout day.  what is point of update release if it causes problems???

no problems with phone until today.  it froze again today while just sitting on the counter.  Obviously it isn't a software issue since she didn't upgrade and had same freezing problem.

how do i document with Sprint of existing issue so i don't get run around if i take back to the store?

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Epic 4g freezing up

is there a fix to the EPIC constantly freezing up causing you to take battery out and rebooting?

Journeyman

Epic 4g freezing up

Like I posted in anther thread, I am having the same freezing problem with my Epic. I wish I would have gotten the Evo when I had the chance. My wife evo works great and does not have these problems.

Wizard

Epic 4g freezing up

pasquale1876, I am not sure why the Sprint Store told you not accept the upgrade. I would recommend you backup your contacts and then download and install the upgrade. The only bug on the upgrade that I'm aware of this the too many call reject messages whis is fixed by deleting the auto responders. More information about this bug is found here > http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/84285?start=165&tstart=0 (see post #168). Cheers -T.

Journeyman

Epic 4g freezing up

Thanks PhysicsGuru.

I am taking it back to the Sprint Store today to see what they find.  She has not complained about the call reject error but I guess it can't hurt to try that fix.  We do have the insurance but we are trying to justify spending $100 now or just wait until September when she gets the $150 upgrade.

The phone has like 230 mb memory still left and she only runs about 10-12 apps on the phone but it has to be software related because she had no problems until after late January. 

Journeyman

Epic 4g freezing up

just an update to my saga.  Took to Sprint store on Friday and explained the phone has been here once before.  He said the system showed the first time it was there the battery check out good and they did a software downgrade back to Froyo.  It still froze after about a week of not allowing the software upgrade.  When then let the gingerbread update go through and she still had the freezing screen issue.  She does not use the GPS feature with her phone so who knows if that is working correctly.  She also never had issues with calls being rejected.

On Friday, the store did a reset and it worked good on Saturday but Sunday morning the phone froze up again.  I called Sprint directly to complain and of course I get told to call back in 2 hours because the system was down. 

I refuse to take it back to the store because they obviously can't fix the problem and have not offered any alternatives.  It is just sad that I will have to make a claim and pay the $100 deductible plus probably the $36 activation to get a replacement phone that was working great for 14 months straight until an update in January.  Once I actually can get through to a Sprint representative on the phone, I will see what 12 years of being a loyal customer will get me.

Journeyman

Re: Epic 4g freezing up

Just got off phone with Sprint customer care and basically nowhere.  I would probably get a better response if I threw this phone in the toilet and made a water damage claim.  First, the representative called the store I took the phone to twice and they had no record of it.  She even mentioned this is a National Store (whatever that means).  She said I would have to take the phone again to the store and they would test it...What the h*ll did they do the previous two times it was there???  Then she mentioned if could be an App, SD card, etc......NO PROBLEMS until the EL30 update and now all of a sudden it is Apps, SD Card!

I then called the store I took it too and was on hold for 30 minutes during my lunch break so I called back and when they checked with the technician, she told me that this phone (EPIC 4G) is not compatible with the Samsung update that was released so I will continue to have the issues with the phone.  It actually felt good because it sounded honest. Basically, Sprint database doesn't show what the local store database shows for work performed.

I wonder if Sprint can then refund my $8/month I've been paying on the insurance and repair contract since obviously they can't fix it!  Talk about feeling special after 12 years of being a good customer

Highlighted
Journeyman

No problems here either UNTIL the EL30 update.  I no longer waste my time with the store or calling support because both are useless.  Two other people at work have the same phone and updates.  All three of us have the same random freezes at least once daily.  Frequently it happens when sliding to unlock.  Sometimes the screen goes black and the keyboard is still lit.  The only solution so far is to remove the battery.  The problem today actually cost me two prime seats for guns n roses as it froze during a presale purchase.  I functioned perfectly from August 2010 until EL30.

iPhone here I come.  Only about 100 more days (or reboots) until I am upgrade eligible.

Sprint!!!  If you monitor these things...please help!!!

Journeyman

Just another update to the Epic 4G freeze issue.  Wife lost her phone along with debit card (i wasn't happy) in New Orleans two weeks ago so we made claim with Asurion and had a new Epic in 2 days.  Very pleased with that response and customer service.

Got the Epic and of course when powered on phone it went through all the updates, etc....I was hoping this was the end of the Freezing issue.  Wrong....She has told me since April 24th of getting the repalcement Epic, her phone has froze up 6 times.  I even used the microSD card that came with new phone but that wasn't the issue either.

I am starting to regret getting a Epic Touch for myself because I can only imagine the issue it will have once we start getting the updates pushed to us.  I still can't get over that her phone was great from November 2010 until January 2012 and the EL30 update was sent out.  Ever since January this phone has been garbage and unreliable. 

Wizard

Does she have any apps installed on the phone?  Mine is pretty much stock and I have the freezing issue once in a great while, but definitely not daily or even weekly.  It's hard to troubleshoot what may be the problem when everyone's device can be configured differently.  I'd be interested to know if the device freezes after it's been hard reset without any apps downloaded to it.

Journeyman

I updated yesterday to FC 09 and have been having the freezing & restarting issues now, as well.  My Epic never had these issues before.

Journeyman

You should probably give up on Sprint as they have no intention of fixing this (or upgrading the Epic 4g to ICS).  That would mean extending the life of a very good phone beyond the two years it has been out.  The solution I was offered?  Upgrade to a new phone.  So for those of you with a little bit of an adventurous side.... check out the AOKP group.  I personally know one of the developers (works for me) and the group has put out some amazing mods that have allowed me to run ICS on my Epic4g.  It is smoking fast and like having a new phone once again!!!  No more freezing / lockups, etc.  There are some very specific steps to follow (fairly easy) and you have to start by wiping your phone completely.  You can easily re-install apps, etc. but back up any application specific data first.  Currently they are working on getting Sprint voice mail working but you can easily use Google Voice Mail (better features anyway).  Beyond that I find no limitations.. just tons of cool stuff and the ability to customize your own experience through a settings feature called ROM control.

Just google AOKP as a link might get pulled from here.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat