Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

I had this same problem and per conversation with Samsung when performing any manual updates thru the recovery mode you have to turn off the wifi and gps before installing any updates. So I turned off the the GPS, Wifi and 4g and restarted in recovery mode. Installed update from sd card and everything works fine. Dont know what Sprint is waiting for??? Per the rep at Samsung the Epic software was pretested before the release of dk28 to work with all the Sprint apps. I also asked if this would void my warranty if i installed it. He said NO, the phone is covered for a year and no software updates that come directly from Samsung would ever void any warranty.  Hope this helps all........

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow what a customer service and representative response that is "Feel free to blame whomever you want....as long as it makes you feel better:)"  I personally am waiting about as patiently as I can, being the Moment got canned for 2.2 so I get the biggest baddest phone you got and I still have never seen Froyo, but that hardly seems like a very nice response for customer relations.  I guess I understand you probably have had it up to your neck with some of the whining, rambling and crying, however like it or not you should still at least put on a fake front and seem sympathetic to the customers.  Lord help me if I ever said anything like that to these cube farm office pencil pushers I find myself around in my electrical profession and seat as the heir apparent for my company.  Its O.K., you can call someone an A**Hole to their face as long as it sounds good in the delivery, however that is not the right delivery.

Highlighted
Wizard

Could we get some additional information on what *is* causing the delay(s) then?  I also suspected Sprint apps, because they seemed like the top layer of non-standard things in the release -- if Samsung had a release ready and we weren't getting it, I thought it had to be because of something Sprint adds/does.  If that's not the case, can you explain why we're still waiting?  I know that testing takes time, but from what I've been reading, it seems like a Froyo release (candidate?) was ready a few weeks ago.  I've been hearing that Epic will have Froyo by the end of the year, mainly from GalaxySsupport on Twitter, and that's quickly coming up.  Will we see Froyo within the next ~3 weeks?  Please provide us with some more information on this topic and what's going on.  I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

This wait is getting rediculous. I am in the same boat as probably thousands of other ex-moment users. I bought it when it was the best and brightest phone sprint had, then was told "sorry, no 2.2 for you". So being a loyal customer of 4yrs, I go out and spend the what... ~$400 on the new epic, and was promised to have 2.2 by the end of the month. Here i sit with a phone that is, aside from the larger screen and faster speed, no better than my moment was. I cannot do anything more with this than I could with that, and I'm out the money for it. Ever call I've made to Sprint I've been told that 2.2 will be out soon, no release date yet but it will be soon. Every 2 weeks for.. oh.. 4 months now? And now to top if off.. 2.3 is coming out??!?! WHY DONT WE EVEN HAVE 2.2 YET??? Apparently it works at least pretty well, as there is leaked versions of it online that seem to be working great for people. Why not just release it and patch it after it hits the market to fix the glitches that probably 1 in 10000 people will experience? It would be nice if just once, just ONCE, Sprint maybe got an update for a phone/OS at relatively the same time as competitors (I would say before, but that would be asking too much). Even the new Galaxy S Tab ships with 2.2. that came out in NOVEMBER. Why doesn't a phone that was release at the end of August have it yet? It apparently works with Galaxy series devices. Make it availble!

Message was edited by: LECLAIRM123

Highlighted
Journeyman

the whole 2.3 release argument is just dumb. released to google's phone. That's it. There aren't other phones out with it on there, and none are currently slated for the 2.3 upgrade. It was the same thing with the N1. Between the mfg tweaking it along with the carrier tweaking it, to whine about 2.3 just makes no sense.

Also not seeing 2.2 on the Captivate, Vibrant, or Fascinate so Epic owners aren't in some unique situation. Unique to other mfg's, but that's about it. Samsung has always been a little late to the game. You get in bed with them you should understand that ahead of time. That being said, I'm not placing blame on them. Unless someone from Sprint wants to say exactly what the issues are that are holding up the release, all we can do is speculate which we can see how well that goes over with all the idiots bickering to one another to the point a mod has to edit posts.

At this stage, I could care less. I'm using DK28. Not having any real issues and it seems to have a little more zip so I'm fine. I care more about the Nexus S getting released and someone extracting the rom so we can get cooking on 2.3 for the Epic. I have more faith in the rooting community to get a solid build of 2.3 than i do of getting the official 2.2 before year's end.

Highlighted
Journeyman

India and UK don't have this concept of 2 yr contract. At least India don't.... Thats why they get it early, here you need to wait so Sprint can push all the necessary sprint apps in that package....:)

Message was edited by: ikon.st

Journeyman

"I have more faith in the rooting community to get a solid build of 2.3 than i do of getting the official 2.2 before year's end."

Absolutely!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would like to say thanks to the Sprint employees who have to read these posts and maintain this forum.  Good job for keeping this forum going and keeping these gripes public.  No hard feelings to these individuals personally.  Furthermore, I like my Samsung epic and is some amazing hardware.

Having said the above, I am also extremely annoyed at the lack of Froyo and start my day by googleing for "samsung epic android 2.2 update".  You can add me to your statistical count of unhappy samsung epic customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought what I thought was going to be a fully supported product, a leading edge device.  Samsung and Sprint are in the process of making me regret my choice. If we don't get 2.2 before xmas, then I'm rooting my Epic and putting gingerbread on it.

As soon as August next year rolls around, so I can upgrade, I'll dump the Epic Fail for something supported a little better like an HTC device.

Samsung or Sprint you are irritating your customer base, get a grip on it or we will do to you what I did to AT&T. There ARE other options.

Message was edited by: ntime60

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey Sprint Tech. If Sprint would actually speak up and actually mention the issues their having and how hard they are working to makeFroyo stable on the Epic, overly dramatic posts like the one above might become non-existent.

ntime60...go, leave. don't let the door hit you in the butt on your way out. Hop over to AT&T and get what? A Fascinate running 2.1?  Yeah, that'll show them. Or maybe an iPhone4 or WP7 phone? Yeah, have fun with either of those. That HTC Aria looks sweet...haha. Oh, and spend $20 or so more a month while you're there. Don't think Sprint will miss you.

(just poking a little fun. It's only a phone people)

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC phones have TONS of known issues, The Hero worst of all, and the Evo is gaining ground. If you have an Epic, which has 4 known issues compared to 30-50 of the EVO or Hero, you will soon regret the switch, The Epic is a much better device. Samsung has much more experience in producing better devices, They have had some serious failures, (Moment), but my experience wih all current devices easily show the Epic the best, even without 2.2 software. If you think AT&T is a better option, well, good luck bro...you will need it....

Highlighted
Journeyman

@LECLAIRM123:

I'm in the same situation you are, although I don't yet have the Epic. I had the Hero, and then I come to find out that it won't get officially updated to 2.2.

The wait for 2.2 on the Epic seems to be going exactly the same way the update went for the Hero -- months and months go by before the update gets released. I often wonder why Sprint can't or won't communicate the progress being made towards releasing the Android updates.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat