cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Journeyman

Re: Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

The main thing the sales people at Sprint stores is to get you in that 2 year contract. They do not really care what phone they sell or you pick. They'll tell you everything about it, what it can & can't do but I was told like everyone 2.2 would be out "end of Sep" then "Thanksgiving" by time i heard Dec 26 & now New Years I have learned that Sprint is not done adding whatever it is they want to Froyo for American Epics. You know that is what they are doing. The update will be here soon enough then everyone can complain they want 2.3, etc. Yeah it sucks waiting this long, being lied to but the folks complaining about Samsung, The rest of the World has the OTA update on the Epic. Samsung has been done with 2.2. It's in Sprints hands now and basically has nothing to do with Samsung at this point. Their customer reps can't do anything for us that have Samsung's Epic in a contract with Sprint. Me & my girlfriend always make fun of each others phones. She has T-Mobiles G2 phone with 2.2 but is 5lbs. I am still happy with the Epic, yeah we can only use about 80% of its features and surfing web with no flash blows but it'll be here soon but i agree, for lying to us and giving us a release date in the stores and online when we all got this Epic in August/Sep we should get a discount or credit on our accounts especially if we live in 3G areas only "Detroit". I would have went with the EVO for sure but then again, when this phone gets 2.2 it will be a lot better than the EVO easily. Have a good New Years! I've been with Sprint 9 years and they seem lost, they are lying, and they are gonna be charging all these little fee's for using wifi. Just use the interent so you can get around most of these added fee's we got coming. Galaxy S phones can do a lot of great things that Sprint can't stop. I hope that is not what is holding up the update.

Journeyman

why do people keep complaining about flash when they can just download it from the market? Think that point has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Journeyman

Can you provide me a link to use, because I can't find it in the Market.

I might be blind, but I don't see it, and probably everyone else also can't find it too, hence our complaining.

So if you'll harp on it being in the market, please show me that it's their, because I don't see it there.

Journeyman

Installing Flash 10.1 on Eclair 2.1

You can instal most things if you have a bit of knowledge.  😉

For those needing more specific info as to why 2.2 is important.

Froyo 2.2: I highlighted the top issues.

• General Android OS speed, memory, and performance optimizations
  • Additional application speed improvements courtesy of JIT implementation[53]
  • Integration of Chrome's V8 JavaScript engine into the Browser application
  • Increased Microsoft Exchange support (security policies, auto-discovery, GAL look-up, calendar synchronization, remote wipe)
  • Improved application launcher with shortcuts to Phone and Browser applications
  • USB tethering and Wi-Fi hotspot functionality
  • Added an option to disable data access over mobile network
  • Updated Market application with batch and automatic update features[52]
  • Quick switching between multiple keyboard languages and their dictionaries
  • Voice dialing and contact sharing over Bluetooth
  • Support for numeric and alphanumeric passwords
  • Support for file upload fields in the Browser application[54]
  • Support for installing applications to the expandable memory
  • Adobe Flash 10.1 support[55]
  • Support for extra high DPI screens (320 dpi), such as 4" 720p[56
  • Install applications to the sim card or moving installed applications to the sim card
  • List running applications and have the ability to force them to close.

This is why we need to be excited!

Additionally 2.3 brings further gains.

• Updated user interface design
  • Support for extra-large screen sizes and resolutions (WXGA and higher)[56]
  • Native support for SIP VoIP telephony
  • Support for WebM/VP8 video playback, and AAC audio encoding
  • New audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost
  • Support for Near Field Communication
  • System-wide copy–paste functionalities
  • Redesigned multi-touch software keyboard
  • Enhanced support for native code development
  • Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers
  • Concurrent garbage collection for increased performance
  • Native support for more sensors (such as gyroscopes and barometers)
  • A download manager for long running downloads
  • Improved power management and application control
  • Native support for multiple cameras
  • Switched from YAFFS to the ext4 filesystem[59

These are important gains with added OS support. We NEED to push not only the manufactures for support but the carriers as well. This is the right thing to do for the consumer (all of us). Say no to crapware/bloatware and take our phones back!

Journeyman

Sorry, I forget I'm rooted now running 2.2 and it's visible. I had it side loaded back when I had 2.1. Do it here:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/how-to-install-flash-10-1-on-android-2-1-eclair-devices/

Click on the blue "Download  Flash 10.1 For Android 2.1 Eclair" link at the bottom to go to the page with the link to download the zip file. Unzip the file to get the apk and place the apk on your sd card. Use an explorer app like astro to select the apk and install it. Reboot, and you should be good to go.

Journeyman

@crogs571

I think we all followed the link, and then there is another forum post relating to Epic on the same site... the comments in that link (http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/install-flash-10-1-on-samsung-galaxy-s-on-android-2-1-eclair/)  suggest that it doesn't work specifically on Epic. 

On another note: It's nice to see that many people who are willing/capable of rooting their Epics are running 2.2 successfully.  It give us non-rooters the hope that Samsung/Sprint will be able to give us 2.2 as an official, supported release someday.

Journeyman

According to Samsung, the 2.2 has been released to Sprint and they are processing in batches. You may inquire from Sprint by your Zip Code.

Journeyman

I forget where I actually got it from. I just did a quick search to find a quick source of the file. Trying to help.

And let me tell you...rooting the Epic is EXTREMELY easy. It's a one step process. Can point you to the xda forum for it. Download two files. Extract them. Click on the one and it opens the adb shell and runs the root script. Takes about 5-10 minutes. The phone restarts and you're good to go.

From there you just pick a rom, download it. change the name to update.zip and put it in the root folder of your sd card (the main folder /sdcard). Boot into recovery and execute the update.zip and you're good to go. The nice thing is all of my apps went back on automactically. I'm assuming that was something in the market upgrade. Very unexpected, but very nice to boot.

Journeyman

Did you get any issues with this update? (gps, etc.)

Journeyman

Thanks for the info. So it isn't as simple as just going to the market.

Journeyman

I downloaded and installed Flash. I rebooted my phone, but flash based sites still don't see flash on my phone.

It shouldn't be this hard. Any idea what I might be missing?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hmm, I'm not sure.  I used that procedure on my wife's phone (which for now is still 2.1) and it worked.  I remember reading some where recently that, that procedure doesn't work on all Galaxy S phones, it was suggested it may have something to do with firmware version iirc. I'll see if I can dig that up and post it.

All that said, I rooted my phone and flashed the DK28 stock (leaked) ROM, which is v2.2.1 and haven't experienced any issues, once I got past all the little got yas along the way.  I am technically adept, so these little hand held computers aren't much of a mystery to me. 😉

For me, it was a matter of, can I do that, and can I revert back to factory.  The answer to both questions was, yes I can, after I took the initial (leap) risk. I've since flashed back and forth, from DI18 to DK28 6 or 8 times successfully. Now I have things fairly stable after about a week of tinkering and tracking down the issues. 

After you've used that procedure have you visited http://www.adobe.com/flash ? If so did you see the animation?  Was flash detected or not?

Maybe the installer didn't really install it correctly. You might try uninstalling and trying with a different installer.  I also agree with you that this shouldn't be that hard and I feel for many people that bought into this bs.  We shouldn't have to use work arounds for what was advertised functionality.

I would like to reiterate my challenge to Samsung and Sprint. PLEASE engage your technically inclined user base.  Many of us are technically capable and willing to help make the product better. Silence and misinformation is going to do more damage than letting the truth come out. Hell all we really want is to be informed and treated with a little respect and professionalism.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat