cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Journeyman

Re: Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

You sound like you are connected to SPRINT.  WIll SPINT give a tentative release date?  Will SPRINT credit our accounts or lack of function?  It has been several months since 2.2 was released now 3.3 has been created to fix the bugs found with past releases.  When will SPRINT commit to upgrading the operating system hopefully it comes befor the phone becomes obsolete.................

Journeyman

robbie-

Yes, I'm referring to the Slingmedia app that is 29.99.  Is it available?  And if I've already downloaded it on 2.1 will I be able to redownload it without paying again in the rooted 2.2?  Thanks.

Journeyman

No, you don't lose any of your purchased programs. They will all be in the Market for you to re-install.

Journeyman

That depends. I have noticed certain copy protected apps don't appear and are not available after updating because of the signature of the phone. It gets marked as a developers build in the operating system. Backup your apps with Astro file manager and check to see if it backed up in the list. If it did then you will have no problem either way. If not there is a fix for changing the signature on a rooted phone.

Journeyman

I will not publically on a Sprint site say that I've upgraded my phone to an XDA ROM in terms on DK28 based builds and the existance of the 29.99 SlingPlayer Mobile application, Version 1.0, Size 6.49MB, and over 2000 ratings, and between 10,000 and 50,000 downloads.

Journeyman

Why not SHMTY25?

Everyone practices their "Freedom of Speech" act. 

Whatever you have in the Market you don't lose. No matter what you do with your phone, even if you change the phone. Your stuff will be there waiting for you to install/reinstall.

Journeyman

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Originally was posted over at XDA. If true, I'm pretty much done with Samsung for any of my CE needs.

Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913045

Hello,

I’m going to step across the NDAs and explain the issues behind the Android Froyo update to Samsung Galaxy S phones in the United States. I think most of you have come to this realization yourself now: the withholding of the Froyo update is a largely political one, not a technological one: Froyo runs quite well on Galaxy S phones, as those of you that have run leaked updates may have noticed.

To explain the political situation, first, a primer on how phone firmware upgrades work for carriers. When a carrier decides to sell a phone, a contract is usually written between the phone manufacturer and the carrier. In this contract, the cost of updates (to the carrier) is usually outlined. Updates are usually broken into several types: critical updates, maintenance updates, and feature updates. Critical updates are those that resolve a critical bug in the phone, such as the phone overheating. Maintenance updates involve routine updates to resolve bugs and other issues reported by the carrier. Finally, feature updates add some new feature in software that wasn’t present before. Critical updates are usually free, maintenance updates have some maintenance fee associated with them, and feature updates are usually costly.
In the past, most phone updates would mainly consist of critical and maintenance updates. Carriers almost never want to incur the cost of a feature update because it is of little benefit to them, adds little to the device, and involves a lot of testing on the carrier end. Android has changed the playing field, however – since the Android Open Source Project is constantly being updated, and that information being made widely available to the public, there is pressure for the phone to be constantly updated with the latest version of Android. With most manufacturers, such as HTC, Motorola, etc. This is fine and considered a maintenance upgrade. Samsung, however, considers it a feature update, and requires carriers to pay a per device update fee for each incremental Android update.

Now, here’s where the politics come in: most U.S. carriers aren’t very happy with Samsung’s decision to charge for Android updates as feature updates, especially since they are essentially charging for the Android Open Source Project’s efforts, and the effort on Samsung’s end is rather minimal. As a result of  perhaps, corporate collusion, all U.S. carriers have decided to refuse to pay for the Android 2.2 update, in hopes that the devaluation of the Galaxy S line will cause Samsung to drop their fees and give the update to the carriers. The situation has panned out differently in other parts of the world, but this is the situation in the United States.

Some of you might have noticed Verion’s Fascinate updated, but without 2.2 : This is a result of a maintenance  agreement Samsung must honor combined with Verizon’s unwillingness to pay the update fees.
In short, Android 2.2 is on hold for Galaxy S phones until the U.S. carriers and Samsung reach a consensus.

Some might wonder why I didn’t deliver this over a more legitimate news channel – the short answer: I don’t want to lose my job. I do, however, appreciate transparency, which is why I'm here.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I saw that on Friday.  I thought aboutre posting but decided against it.  I cannot say as I blame the carriers at all, in fact in looking out for themselves they are also looking out for our interests.  Common enemy... 

That said; I would suggest everyone here, do as I am doing, hit Samsung right where it counts. In their bottom line.

Simply don't upgrade or purchase another Samsung phone. I certanily will not be purchasing any Samsung products ever again. If this is how they think of us, then I have a message for them, and let us make it, so there is NO mistake in the message.

Journeyman

I am running the straight leaked rom, not a custom version from XDA or anything and I can tell you that the slingplayer app does not show up in the market.  I have a few apps that are like this for me unfortunately but they're not something I can't live without until we get the official release from Sprint.  I know that some custom roms have market fixes to allow protected apps to show up in the market.  If you're going to root and install a 2.2 rom, I'd make sure that whatever version you're installing has support for protected apps in the market.

Journeyman

I do not want to appear to be disrespectful to you but do you know anything about software upgrades?  The hardware company does not stop the provider of service from releasing an upgrade it is the provider of service who prevents the upgrade.  We should all be very angry with SPRINT because advanced software upgrades of the operating system are available for the Samsung Epic and SPRINT is not making those releases available.  I really don't care about any other function but the BLUETOOTH feature that is advertised as being available on the phone.  When I contacted the SPRINT store they had no idea of why the placing of calls from bluetooth is not available yet I do the research and I find that the release of th OS which is released by SPRINT has that known problem and the OS 2.2 or greater fixes the problem.  I am concerned that if I were to install the os 2.2 from another supplier that would void a warranty on an expensive phone.  Hands free operation is mandatory in my state so it is a safety issue.  All that SPRINT has to do is to allow the upgrade.  I am also very dissatisfied with the SPINT help desk for making believe that they were unaware of the problem as well, I presume that SPRINT instructs their technicians to not release any iformation on the operating systm.  I have received numerous replies indicating that other customers have installed  an upgraded version of the Operating System (some with some implied problems).  It is time for SPRINT to come forward and reply to this question.  When will OS 2.2 or higher be available for upgrade.  A simple answer will cut out all of this useless messaging.  Come on SPRINT give us an answer.  I have worked in the electronics business for over 35 years and I have been a Nextel/Sprint customer for nearly a decade.  This type of customer service is truely unacceptable.  I have 3 different phones on the SPRINT plan and I  do not have any problems with the other 2 phones, come on SPRINT get the updated OS on yor library or just supply us all wih the date the OS will be updated.

Journeyman

Re: Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28om

That is not true. The market is phone signturebROM specific. The stock DK28 release is marked as a developerks release and the market will not allow you to see, download or update certain protected apps such as tv.com and many others. Find a way to completely back up your phone including protected apps before experimenting. Most of these full backup programs require root access to back up everything.

Journeyman

The developement release will not allow protected apps. You need to root and download one of the cooked roms to get protected apps back.

@cprice: While I'm not a devoloper, I would imagine that samsung creates the update and gives it to Sprint to test. When Sprint gives the OK, Samsung gives them the finished product to distribute. The developmental releases are just that, and if they distributed them we'd all be in the same boat as above, no protected apps. It's like having a watermark on a photo proof so you can't just copy it and not pay the photog for his efforts. That's how this layman sees the process working. And with ALL of the US carriers in the same boat apparently, I'm more inclined to believe the well written post on XDA than yours.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat