cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

You sound like an expert, someone who has used operating system 2.2.  Are you an expert?  I purchased a BLUEANT Q2 wireless device that was supposed to be the only device that would work with the phone and I got that from a SPRINT representative.  The debugging information included with the BLUEANT is where I found out what the problem with the phone is and how to fix it.  The BLUEANT Q2 is super sofisticated, it announces the caller if the caller is part of your contact list.  It's voice control will tell yo if the device is paired with the phone and a single voice command will pair the devices.  You can as the Q2 to give you a list of available commands and it will give you a list of voice commands.  It has numerous other functions and they are easy to use.  So yes I am upset because I have been sent down the path thinking that by purchasing technology the bluetooth problem would be fixed.  Now I find out that the fix is a software upgrade that SPRINT wil not release.  That is definintly wrong,  Basically I can accept an honest responce from SPRINT but they won't give me or anyone else the curtousy of an honest answer.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info but you must have a project plan or an idea of how close you are to completing testing on the app.  Since the operating system code was leaked then the code would only have to be verified for performance and function.  Can we expect the release before Valentines Day or perhaps  Easter or how about Memorial Day, maybe the 4th of July.  How about a hint................................... 

Highlighted
Journeyman

So the fact that an upgrade Sprint expected to receive for a pittance gets changed by Samsung to a large sum, and they're supposed to bend over and take it just because you want the functionality you were supposedly promised? So extortion is ok as long as you get what you want? Not trying to belittle you, but if they give in, then it sets a precedent that they nor you want to see happen because they won't eat it. We'll see it either in a more expensive phone or more expensive plan. And it's not just Sprint. It's all the American carriers. Give in, and Samsung wins? They haven't done much right outside of some decent hardware. I'd rather see the carriers hold out and not leave Samsung in control. Well, provided that guy that posted at XDA is actually correct.Otherwise, we're all still clueless about the whole situation.

cprice52752 wrote:

Now I find out that the fix is a software upgrade that SPRINT wil not release.  That is definintly wrong,  Basically I can accept an honest responce from SPRINT but they won't give me or anyone else the curtousy of an honest answer.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

It does not matter who is responsible, Samsung or Sprint. I do not care.

What matters is that there is no official update to 2.2 yet, and it's already much later than anyone was expecting.

I bought the Epic over the EVO because it was made very clear to me that an update to 2.2 was coming "very soon." Now my options are to get all hacky and do it myself in an unofficial way, or sit on my hands while Sprint, or Samsung, or both diddle around with whatever assuredly stupid nonsense is holding this all up.

Samsung's hardware is nice, and I haven't had huge problems with sprint, but at the rate we're going here, I don't think I'll be back for either of them when my contract is up. Verizon always has some nice phones.

Also, we can all moan and complain on here until we're blue in the face, it will never change anything. These kinds of threads largely exist for people to blow off steam, nobody in charge of anything that matters at Sprint cares the slightest bit that some people are typing angry words on an internet forum.   

Highlighted
Journeyman

well maybe you should care and vent your frustrations to the powers that be at Samsung and/or Sprint instead of just wasting your breath here. Last I checked....women were the ones that wanted someone to just listen to their frustrations, not have you find a solution to them, just listen. Men on the other hand actually want to vent and get results. So be a man.   And if you take this personally then grow a spine and learn to laugh at an annoying situation we're all stuck in. It's just a phone people. Be even happier that we're only stuck with these phones for a year when everyone else is stuck for two years.

Highlighted
Journeyman

you just summed it all up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

...does 4G work better with 2.2? Well, 4G is the reason I bought this phone 2 months ago...I am considering switching to the EVO which has 2.2...I think Sprint should sue Samsung on behalf of its customers to at least impress the FCC.

Message was edited by: CASHJR23

Highlighted
Journeyman

You poke the bear enough and it's bound to finally swipe at you. Samsung reached out to phone scoop to say they aren't charging for the froyo update and will answer the questions soon. Guess a rumor got out they really didn't want spread around.

http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=7346

Samsung Mobile emailed Phone Scoop a brief statement to settle some  of the rumors that have been flying about regarding the Android 2.2  update for its Galaxy S smartphones. One report suggested that the delay  is being caused in part because Samsung wants carriers to pay for  Android updates. Samsung says this is not true. Samsung wrote to Phone  Scoop, "No. Samsung is not charging carriers for Froyo updates to Galaxy  S. We hope to have more detail on status shortly. Promise!" Samsung has  pushed back the Froyo update for its Galaxy S line of devices several  times, leaving them stuck with Android 2.1. Samsung has sold more than 4  million Galaxy S handsets in the U.S.

from Samsung

Highlighted
Journeyman

cprice52752, you seem to be confused about the definition of service.  While I knew that the phone came stock with android 2.1, I am referring to the numerous announcements by Sprint and Samsung COMPANY REPRESENTATIVES, via the corporation's website, official twitter account, etc about anticipated delivery date for the 2.2 OS.  I would never demand that a tentative release date be met exactly, however I would expect it to be within at least 3 months of the actual delivery date.  Whether they failed to foresee the problems they would face in releasing the update, or were just lying in order to boost sales, both companies are guilty of providing poor service.  This being the case, you have yourself accepted bad service by purchasing a plan from Sprint and a phone from Samsung.

As a PSA, I will note "bafoon" is not a word in the English language.  I will assume that you meant buffoon, which is a noun defined as "A person who amuses others by ridiculous behavior, or a rude or vulgar fool."  My friend, I am sorry to say, but you seem to be guilty on both counts.

Message was edited by: andtoig

Highlighted
Journeyman

and you do know the $10 fee is for uncapped data, not 4g, right?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well Epic owners...I read the statement from Samsung...It says....KEEP WAITING SUCKERS!! I almost wish I could go back to Sept1st if knew what i knew now!! We all have been patient..Very patient..And speculation continues...All Epic owners..This is a must read link from phonedog.com...here is the link....http://www.phonedog.com/2011/01/18/are-us-carriers-to-blame-for-the-galaxy-s-froyo-delays/...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I dont know you but i wish you all luck, i  I terminated my EPIC and the PRE due to the fact that both are dead beat devices , so far no up date and there are other sammys with 2,2 on the market check the store and see, After all i  just stayed with my HTC EVO wich is the first Version , This EVO is great with the use of PDANET and so far got to 7M PLUS on the net

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat