cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Highlighted
Wizard

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Below is a statement from the Epic Product Manager regarding the leaked release (DK28):

Sprint is working on a software package for the Samsung Epic4G that will upgrade it to the Froyo version of Android.  Over the weekend, some users were able to access and download a test build (DK28) for the Samsung Epic from some 3rd party developer sites.  Unfortunately, this is not approved software for Sprint production devices and we strongly recommend that users refrain from loading it. 

Software version DI18 is the current production version of software.  When new versions of software are available, users will receive a notification from Google on their device stating that an upgrade is available for download and installation.  While we are unable to communicate a firm delivery date, rest assured that we are working on a software upgrade to Froyo and hope to have it out in the very near future.   

280 REPLIES 280
Highlighted
Journeyman

if you already downloaded it will you still get the notification to download and install the "new" adapted version or would you have to uninstall it??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had that teting problem today. That was a first for me.

Saw this post by a guy at Android forums that says that he caught a look at something on the Epic info screen while helping out a customer that mentioned DL11 will be the official OTA release and that it will be rolled out starting on the 26th. He posted it over at XDA as well where he doesn't normally contribute. He's been a helpful poster in general so there is a little bit of credibility there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

yeah, when i get the texting issue or sending photos i just shut the phone off and turn it right back on. then it is good for a week. sounds like our update is gonna be rolling out soon then and the epic will be 1 bad phone. lets hope it is true. have a happy holidays and keep those fingers crossed. sounds pretty legit post. it must be almost ready...

Highlighted
Journeyman

you can do both update.zip is easier got to xda-developers.com its stable every thing works

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been with Sprint for 7 years and all I can say about this epic debacle is 'hello iphone'.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree I say skip 2.2 and go for 2.3 gingerbread. I might as well be askng for the moon. Updates are so slow with Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like everyone else has been waiting impatiently for the upgrade. I even installed the leaked test version as soon as I saw it. I had to go back to stock, but it actually helped. I had this phantom on my phone that would create calendar events for Greg Davis every few days, and since I went back to stock no more Greg Davis events. So I guess for me, it was all good.

I also recently purchased an Archos 101 and it got an update to 2.2 within a couple of weeks of being out, so I guess it's not all that difficult to release on 2.1 and upgrade to 2.2, unless you're trying to lock down the phone, and are finding it hard.

All that said, I don't mind waiting for a little while. The truly frustrating part is the utter silence, and therefore all the misinformation, from Samsung and Sprint. If only we'd have an official statement every week or two stating that we shouldn't excpect it for the next two weeks, we can go back to our lives and check again in two weeks time.

Also the answer that you get from Samsung is pretty lame and in some cases doesn't even answer the question that was asked.

End of Rant.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm sure people will find something to complain about in that department too.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

On August 31st I bought the Epic Failure ½G phone.  At the time I thought it was the best phone out there and it very well could have been.  While I was checking it out, I realized it did not have Android 2.2, I asked the sales rep, "when will the 2.2 update be released?"  He stated that it will be within 2-3 weeks, since its a new phone it takes a few weeks to get the updates out over the network and blah blah blah.  At the time I thought he was telling the truth, but now 4 months later and 30+ phone calles I realize he was trying to blow hot air up my... You know.  I've asked SEVERAL times to Sprint & Samsung reps when will they release the update and was lied to every time so far. I mean, Verizon has it on several of their phones, Sprint has it on the EVO... I mean even T-Mobile has a phone with 2.2 now and they suck.

All I want at this point is a refund.  I am so disappointed in this phone and Sprint, I have been lied to several times about release dates for months now and mean while daughter's Evo has the update I wanted for 2+ years.  And by that I mean Flash on a Android phone.  The specs on the Evo and Epic are about the same, with Epic being slightly better.  The only major difference is HTC knows how to give the consumer what they want and Samsung can eat a ....

All I can say at this point, is I am SICK and TIRED of waiting for a update that should have been released with the phone. And now 2.3 is out and I still have this 2.1 piece of .... operating system.

Sprint & Samsung, thanks so much for selling me this Epic Failure.  Soon as I can I will be leaving Sprint and it will be a cold day down under before I buy anything with "Samsung" written on it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Noticed you didn't mention anything about having issues with the Epic on 2.1. So all you came to do was whine. Return your Epic, go to Verizon and get a Droid 2 Global and enjoy. All US carriers are in the same boat with the Galaxy phones. It's long been known it was supposed to be around year's end for the update, so you got an  idiot for a sales rep, and shame on you for not doing your research ahead of time. Since you obviously care soooo much about 2.2 it is safe to assume you have a little bit of knowledge compared to the average consumer. So it should be safe to assume you are quite capable of researching about the update. Heck, you made it here.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Surprising how upset everyone is getting over this.  I was surprised how intrigued I have been with regard to the release date of 2.2.  I think it was when I learned the epic ran faster and smoother on 2.2 that I started really getting my hopes up.  Look, I was using a nextel flip phone for 2 years before I got the EPIC.  I am blown away by all the features on this phone.  I really enjoy it.  With that being said, you know-- everyone always wants the latest and greatest.

I am very happy with my phone - but I would be happier with the newest upgrade of course.  I think most people - not all - but most would be satisfied with some sort of simple Android 2.2 update progress bar...similar to what you see when you download a file...the growing green bar with a percentage next to it that always seems to take forever when it hits 99% ..lol.

I did believe the EPIC was going to receive this update very shortly after I purchased it.  I am a bit disappointed. 

Samsung and Sprint..do us a favor if you are listening and keep us more informed if at all possible.  It is the right thing to do.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is the last time I trust Samsung and i have been burned by them before. I few years ago i bought the Samsung Instinc with a promise of and app store to rival the iphone. I waited 2 year and it never came. I was going to get the EVO but I gave samsung another chance. THey said 2.2 was about to be released at the end of Sept. then October and then Nov. Now Dec. 26, and it once again got pushed back. Its starting to sound like the App Store for the instinct. I knew Samsung was bad with the followthrough of their products, I thought they would have changed but im wrong its the same crappy support. Im going to bitch to Sprint that i was sold this phone and was lied to by the sales rep telling me 2.2 was coming. im going to try to get an evo.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat