cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Highlighted
Wizard

Epic - Android 2.2 Leaked Test Release - DK28

Below is a statement from the Epic Product Manager regarding the leaked release (DK28):

Sprint is working on a software package for the Samsung Epic4G that will upgrade it to the Froyo version of Android.  Over the weekend, some users were able to access and download a test build (DK28) for the Samsung Epic from some 3rd party developer sites.  Unfortunately, this is not approved software for Sprint production devices and we strongly recommend that users refrain from loading it. 

Software version DI18 is the current production version of software.  When new versions of software are available, users will receive a notification from Google on their device stating that an upgrade is available for download and installation.  While we are unable to communicate a firm delivery date, rest assured that we are working on a software upgrade to Froyo and hope to have it out in the very near future.   

280 REPLIES 280
Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

yea I couldnt of wrote some crap up better myself. anybody could write anything and say this is official from samsung or sprint. i call bs and this is all a fake! once again sprint is full of crap,

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was hesitant about installing DK28 but I went ahead and did it.  All I can say is it works better, looks better and blows my brothers Evo away in every app.  Until Samsung releases the "final" I am sticking with DK28.  I think Samsung is just pissed that it leaked.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Simpley put What is taking so long this phone should have had 2.2 on it when sprint started to sell it!

So i can see how this is going to work when 2.4 comes out we are still going to have 2.2 & NEVER GET 2.3

Go ahead keep draging your fingers over the keyboard coding on dumb sprint apps. You sprint/samsung devs fix bs like amazonmp3 but not the GPS ya OK lol

Message was edited by: Paul_8700

Highlighted
Journeyman

+1 Paul_8700 Sprint is more into making sure their apps no one uses works with the new build so they can deploy the new build with them already installed and making un-installable.  Sprint should be like does 2.2 work on the device, answer it does.  Then push that update out and keep their apps out of the main OS.  Then later they get their apps working put them on the Android or sprint market and let people download them for free if they want to use them.  I hope your taking notes from us Sprint!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

THIS SUCKS!!!  I paid for this damn phone after being told by the salesperson it would get froyo within the month!  And that was in Sept!!!  Now its Dec??  WTH??  Samsung said this month and Sprint is saying "near future".  SMH.  Sprint sees all of these posts and won't reply because they know they're in the wrong and don't want to fess up to it.  Now that a working update was "leaked", they say it'll not official and not to install it.  All because they want to put their 2 cents in it and put in apps that hardly anyone uses.  Yet, if you update manaully or root and install otherwise, you're wrong.  Sprint doesn't like too many choices for us.  Way to go Sprint!!  Top of the line customer service!! SMH!  I've dealt with them for 8+ years, but I've never been fed a crock of BS like this!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm so confused. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the HTC Evo 4G receive the Android 2.2 update within 2 months of its June 4, 2010 release?

Why, then, is it that the Samsung Epic 4G, which was released on August 31, 2010, is still yet to receive the same update? It is now December 7, 2010. I'm sorry, but this is really inexcusable, Sprint. Even if things were running slowly or a snag appeared along the way, one would think that the update would have at the LATEST been out sometime within the month of November, if not by the end of October (following the same ~2 month timeframe it took to update the HTC Evo 4G)

I would like to have a complete and concise explanation from Sprint as to why it is taking this long for the Samsung Epic 4G to get the update, especially when other parts of the world already have this available.

The tired reasoning stating that Sprint has to update its branded apps is ludicrous, to say the least. The HTC Evo 4G has, from what I've seen, more Sprint/HTC apps than Samsung has on the Epic 4G.

So, what gives? Give us the honest answer, Sprint. Your customers have a right to know instead of the rehashing of "near future" release of this much anticipated update.

And, don't get me started on 2.3 being announced now. EPIC FAIL, SPRINT.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am one of those unfortunate noobs whose GPS died after upgrading to 2.2.1.  Fortunately my phone works well otherwise, and I've been enjoying the updated interface.  Because I really want my GPS, though,  I tried flashing back without Odin using update.zip, which didn't work.  No one seems to have a DI18 file with the original signature, and the update.zip fails every time because of the invalid signature.

So, to cut my losses and because I'm a fledgling techno geek who loves this phone and can see how FROYO makes this phone everything I wanted it to be from the beginning, I'm going to bite the bullet and do this Odin thing, revert back to DI18 and get my GPS working again before flashing 2.2.1.  Hopefully this time it will go smoothly.  Wish me luck.

As a safetynet, I'll have another new out of the box Epic on hand in the event I brick this phone, and will just wait patiently on Sprint for Froyo. Maybe once Sprint's OTA comes out, I'll activate the new phone and get the official upgrade, and hopefully in the interim I'll be using the leaked version and enjoying it on my existing phone.  I know this is a luxury some don't have, and I'm happy I can do this.

I wish I liked the EVO, because this would all be a moot point as the Evo already has Froyo and we know Froyo is amazing.. but the evo just isn't my cup of tea, try as I may.  

Highlighted
Journeyman

yea but why in the world is sprint selling brand new phones with android2.2 on them. shouldnt customers come first. and why am i paying the same amount of money an evo user is if they have the update. its not right.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Blackdragon, you and dschoem1 seem to be drinking from the same batch of Kool-Aid--the Epic has issues an OS update will fix...how come Europe and Asia got the update and we did not? Dschoem1 himself said they had a release but couldn't get it to work which means either Sprint's native bloatware apps are all jacked up or Sprint's coders and developers don't know what they are doing...in either case it's we customers whom are left holding the bag because Sprint can't get it's act together--make no mistake about it, this is NOT a Samsung issue, this IS a SPRINT ISSUE

Highlighted
Journeyman

MADDMAXX you're an idiot.  I was stating the reason it takes longer is they want their (sprint) homemade apps to work with it also and they can't be uninstalled unless you root the phone.  If they didn't put them on the phone os install then we could have it sooner but they want to make sure all the Sprint made apps which no one uses work on the phone.  so check yourself before you post crap man.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No Blackdragon, you're the idiot--again Sprint HAD THE UPDATE, what part of this is unclear to you? What part of this do you not understand? What part of this doesn't click inside that infantile little mind of yours? SPRINT HAD THE UPDATE! THEY ADMIT THEY DID! So, if we apply sequential logic (and I'll type slowly so you can follow along easier) and say Sprint got the update the same day ATT, VZN and T-Mobile did which we can reasonably assume is around October 13 because that's the day Samsung released it--a simple Google search will show you 70,000+ hits verifying this--that would lead a fairly intelligent, logical and reasonable person to conclude if Samsung released the update but Sprint hasn't...what do you think that means, genius...??

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat