cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Discharges While Charging (Inadequate Power)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic Discharges While Charging (Inadequate Power)

Sometimes my Epic 4G does not draw enough current from both a powered USB Hub and from the outlet. During these times my battery tends to get very hot. So while charging the device my battery is actually draining very slowly even with the screen turned off. This doesn't happen all the time but it happens often enough to the point of frustration.

Anyone know any workarounds?

Tags (2)
12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Epic Discharges While Charging (Inadequate Power)

I've started to notice this as well. when pluged into the wall and i start messing with it. it gets very very hot. it does worry me. if it keeps getting this hot will it not last a year?

Journeyman

You probably need to condition your battery, I did. I listen to music over bluetooth headphone, screen on all the time, gps, wifi, all on, for a full day at work (if connected to the charger), and my battery is full at the end of the work day.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=701567

This worked for me!

HTH

Journeyman

Are you using the included charger to charge your phone?  Not all chargers are created equal, especially the ones you buy on ebay.  I've seen different charging rates between different chargers & cables, especially with the EPIC being such a power hog.  I have a cheaper generic USB cable that  I purchased from a local electronics store that won't charge the phone at all, where higher quality thicker cables will work better.  Some charger plugs aren't rated high enough for the EPIC either.  Anything .5A or lower  output doesn't seem to provide enough for it to charge.  The supplied charger in the box from Samsung is .700A.  I think you can find 1A chargers if you shop enough.  All chargers should run at 5V, as that is the USB standard voltage.

I also posted a message in the "How long is your Epic battery last?" thread that I'm seeing very different results from different Samsung batteries.  My included battery doesn't charge/recharge as well as a new one I purchased from Sprint.

If you can live without service for a short period of time, the EPIC charges the battery much quicker if you power it off.  You can still monitor the battery level with the phone off by quickly hitting the power button, it shows a large battery on the screen.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info. I'm quite aware that different cables and different chargers help but does anyone think it's ridiculous that we need to jump through hoops to get this thing charging correctly? If this and the upload cap aren't fixed within my 30 days, I'm returning this phone and going back to the evo.

Journeyman

I'm using the included charger.

Journeyman

Same problem with the EVO. I have an EVO and my wife has the EPIC. Same problems on both.

Journeyman

I've had about 20 HTC, Samsung, etc. smart phones / PDAs.  The cables and charges are NOT created equal - And not all the OEM chargers are great either.

For example a very old Verizon HTC I had would charge about 2-3x faster with it's OEM charger than any other charger - most other phones would also charge significantly faster with that HTC charger than other HTC OEM chargers.

Cables: Some cables just plain don't carry enough current, I've thrown out about half a dozen cables over the years - Some seem to wear the connector and charge less and less. The cable being thin is too simple, some have insulation to seem thick but don't carry a good charge.

The phones also get hot and charge slower (not sure if Epic does, but others have).

So I say all this because there are a *LOT* of factors.

I bought a kit of car charger, 2 batteries, wall charger (for one battery at a time), usb cable, and windshield mount for like $30 on ebay, the wall charger for the battery works great, but not so good for phone. The car charger is better than the car charge I bought at BestBuy for $20. But you never know what quality you're get.. I've got about a dozen cables and around 10 car charges (several devices using same micro-usb plug).

I also had some really weird issues with copying files off the phone via a usb hub which was very odd, but doing a direct cable to my computer worked.

If you get a good combination the phone will charge with heavy usage, unless it gets too hot - If it gets too hot you may have to blow some air on it (in car holding it by ac vent works good).

Good luck..              

Journeyman

my epic gets super hot while charging sometimes too. I've only had it for a week, and one time, it told me to disconnect the usb cable because it was fully charged. It had a blue light and everything. As soon as I did it turned off because of low battery. What in the world!!??

Journeyman

I have experienced the exact same issue; however, now the phone will not take a charge, turn on, ect... This is now a paperweight!

I will be taking this into Sprint to trouble shoot, and then promptly be contacting Samsung with a complaint on product quality.

Has anyone worked through a Samsung warranty issue with the Samsung Epic 4G before? All relevant advice welcomed.

Journeyman

Make sure you are using the included Samsung Charger and Cable. It sounds odd but the charger and cable need to allow for at least 1 amp charging rate. Most car chargers are 1+ amps (preferably 1.5-2amps). My wife's Epic would go dead like that and I can't remember if I got it going with her stock Samsung charger or my EVO charger. Many USB chargers are 500-700 milliamps and these phones simply will not charge off of them. The EPIC is unique in that, when it goes dead, it really GOES DEAD! Once you realize that you need higher amperage chargers your frustration level will go down immensely. You can pretty much throw away chargers from older devices and most standard USB chargers/adapters.

Master

ENCXBG1 wrote:

Make sure you are using the included Samsung Charger and Cable. It sounds odd but the charger and cable need to allow for at least 1 amp charging rate. Most car chargers are 1+ amps (preferably 1.5-2amps). My wife's Epic would go dead like that and I can't remember if I got it going with her stock Samsung charger or my EVO charger. Many USB chargers are 500-700 milliamps and these phones simply will not charge off of them. The EPIC is unique in that, when it goes dead, it really GOES DEAD! Once you realize that you need higher amperage chargers your frustration level will go down immensely. You can pretty much throw away chargers from older devices and most standard USB chargers/adapters.

The charger the Epic ships with is .7A or 700 mA. The EVO charger is a 1A or 1000mA charger.

I have no idea why Samsung shipped a 700mA charger in the box, it makes no sense to me with how much power it can pull in some circumstances.

Also a little related fun fact... USB connections to a computer will only push out 500mA in most cases. Some USB ports will push out more, but the actual USB standard is limited to 500mA.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat