cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Email and battery

Journeyman

Epic Email and battery

I have a samsung epic and first off my battery doesnt last all day.  I have tried using the app killer and not turning on gps or wifi. But it still dies before the day is over.

My second problem is that i have 3 emails set up.  I will not recieve the emails until i open the email and then it refreshes.  I dont know why this is because i set the auto refresh for 5 minutes but they still dont come in.

30 REPLIES 30
Journeyman

Re: Epic Email and battery

I bought the Epic yesterday and I haven't had a chance to fully charge the battery yet to see how long it lasts. I plugged in the charger and even turned the phone off while I was sleeping. Unfortunately, there was NO battery left; it didn't charge at all even though the red light came on as if it was.

As far as your email problem. I'm experiencing it myself. My pop mail account through GoDaddy will not sync every 5 minutes as wished. It only syncs when I manually sync. Frustrating and another reason this phone will be going back before my 30 days is up if it continues.

Phone froze up on my when I was viewing the Gallery as well. Had to pull the battery. It's a computer, so things happen. I'm just used to my Blackberry working like a champion.

I'm hoping the 2.2 upgrade comes out before then, as I heard it fixes a lot of problems. I'm a Blackberry guy, so the Android OS is new to me. Cool phone, but not as impressed as I thought I would be.

Wish there were HTCs in stock. I would have bought that one to try out 2.2.

Anyone know when 2.2. is coming out for Samsung Epic?

MS

Journeyman

Same problems with my Epic. Bought it a few days ago. Salesperson said it was "great". NOT! The battery dies out 1-2 hours of use. And when you're charging it you can't use it. Slow in getting emails. Even phone calls are difficult to make. Sometimes the phone never rings at receiver's end. What a disappointment. Will trade it in for the EVO or use my old phone.

Message was edited by: smiley2902

Journeyman

Hi, I was reading some the posts about the Samsung Epic and saw that you are having trouble with your phone holding a charge.

Have you tried turning off the phone and opening the back to see if the battiery is in place. If not in place good it wouldn't get good connection to put a charge. Mine work's great! I can use it all day! Hope this helps!

Journeyman

yes my battery is fully in and it dies before the night is over.  Im gonna have to return it or buy the 2 extra battery packs.  what a bad phone.  ifound out how to do the push email tho.  Only blackberrys have push but you can download a email application.  I downloaded k-9 email and it works well.  But the battery thing is a huge problem.

Journeyman

I've got the same problem with mine. The battery drains in a couple hours. The screen seems to take a lot of power, but it always seems to be connecting to the network and the battery drains really fast. I had a BB before this and was really excited about the Epic, but am a bit frustrated with how much trouble its going to be to use. It seems like i won't be able to use any of the great features without it being plugged in, and then it seems to use more energy than it gets while charging.

I'm wondering if it's a software issue or a hardware design, but I hope something is done to fix the poor performance soon.

Journeyman

Here's an update with my epic experience - I'm frustrated.

The email app that comes with the phone is not consistent. Sometimes it can get my POP mail and sometimes it can't. My Exchange Server email will send, but I don't see the email in my inbox when it comes in.

I did some research and downloaded the K9 Mail app from the Market Place (free). POP mail seems to work find, which makes me very happy. However, I can't get the Exchange Email to work. I have to get in touch with the IT guy tomorrow as K-9 requires some more manual setup; It's not automatic like the original email app, but then again I never did get it to work correctly.

I'm not here to give a detailed review of the app, but I will say it's worth trying it out.

Battery Life - Got it to fully charge over night last night. It lasted 11 hours today before I had to charge it. Keep in mind, I did not talk on the phone at all today. However, I was dealing with setting up email etc, so the screen was on a lot. I normally am not "playing" with my phone that often so maybe the battery life will be fine for me. I will buy a charger for my office if I decide to keep the phone. Email is the most important feature, so if I can't get this thing working perfect, I'm sticking with my trusty Blackberry. I'm new to the Android, but getting to contacts, email, etc can be done much faster on the Blackberry. There is no comparison.

I'm thankful Sprint gives you 30 days to try their service and phones. I've been a Sprint customer since 1996 and have no complaints worth mentioning. Overall, I'm happy and staying with them. I just hope I can figure out my Android issues.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just wanted to let you know that I downloaded a battery monitoring app and it said that my live wallpaper was using quite a bit of battery life. I switched to a standard wallpaper and my battery life doubled. If you are running a live wallpaper you might give it a try.

Journeyman

EMAIL ISSUE TOO?

Are you having the same issue I am having with the email app that comes with the Samsung Epic?

The problem: When the phone is is using Wifi, the email app can get the email off of my GoDaddy POP mail every time. HOWEVER, when the wifi is turned off and using the 3G network, it usually cannot find the server. This is obviously a problem for me, as I need to be able to get my email (work) at all times and I'm usually not around Wifi access. Besides, it SHOULD work on the 3G network.

Let me know if you are having similar issues. Maybe it's my phone?

By the way, the phone has no issues getting my email from Yahoo.

MS

Journeyman

Re: EMAIL ISSUE TOO?

I am experiencing the same issues as been mentioned in this thread.

I have been a blackberry user for the past 3 years and thought that I would keep the same standards in regard to emails and calendar.  It hasn't been the case.  I have had to manually sync the phone to get my emails 80% of the time.  Today even the manual sync has not been successful.  It keeps searching and draining the battery.  Gmail work great but I am not committed to that yet.

The battery life is a big issue too.  I recharged the phone at 11:00 am after fully charging it overnight.  Now it is at 80% again while my emails still sitting in outbox. 

Beside all these, this is a great phone.

Journeyman

In response to Minabella:

I found that the email issues I have with my POP account was due to the 3G service at my home. I am able to get my email when on Wifi no problem, and have not had issues getting POP email while out of my house. My suggestion is to try syncing email while on Wifi at home and see if that works. If that's the case, then it's a Sprint 3G issue and not the phone.

Since figuring this out, I really like the phone. Battery still isn't the best, not a fan of the size (compared to my blackberry), but the screen is nice for viewing things.

My new issue is with copying text out of the contacts so I can paste addresses for example into emails. I think there is copy and paste issues with the email too. I know people are complaining so hopefully Samsung/Google is reading these posts.

Blackberry is still a more efficient phone, but they are really two different phones. Blackberry is best for business - that is for sure.

MS

Journeyman

I have discovered that when the phone can't send/receive email meaning can't access the 3G network, taking the battery out and restarting the phone would resolve the issue.  It has worked for me twice today.  Then this issue appears not to be related to network but the phone.  It is very frustrating having flaky email.  BlackBerry was so spot on the email.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat