cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Email and battery

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: EMAIL ISSUE TOO?

I need to make a correction.  When email program can't send/receive email meaning can't access the mail server, taking the battery out and restarting the phone would resolve the issue.  My connection to 3G service appears to be fine.  Web browser works well and almost anything else except the email functioning properly.

Journeyman

Re: EMAIL ISSUE TOO?

Same issue on the email. It will work fine and then it simplt sops retreiving new even when I refresh and it frequently tells me it cannot connect with the server.

As far as battery life...it is so good compared to my BB tour that it's a joy.

Get rid of the fancy wallpapers, tweak what'sa running using the onboard applications and the battery life flat out rocks on this phone.

Journeyman

Re: Epic Email and battery

Yep, I have the same issues, and will be taking it into the store today to see if they can patch it.

My phone seems to drop data services pretty easily; when it does, it makes my email stop coming in. After I go back into my POP incoming/outgoing settings, it will make me email refresh.

Simply refreshing my email does not make it work. It also sporadically sends emails; I tried for over an hour yesterday to send an email to no avail. (Have plenty of service/bars.)

It also will not receive facebook notification appropriately, even though I've set it up to check for them every hour.

Like another poster mentioned, gmail works all the time--I've already got two other email accounts I want to monitor, so I won't be going the gmail route anytime soon.

I love this phone, don't get me wrong--most apps are great, the screen is incredible, and the touchscreen works beautifully. But maybe I got spoiled with the Blackberry. I just want it to receive calls, emails, and facebook notifications as it should. Is that too much to ask?

Journeyman

I exchanged my Epic to HTC EVO and I am a lot happier.  If you have been a BlackBerry user you would like EVO.  This is a cross between BlackBerry and Apple.  It should be called AppleBerry.  This phone is so good that even at Sprint store they don't want to sell them and they are pushing other phones.  While the salesperson brought the last EVO for me, he stopped and asked me "why are you getting this phone?"t  He wasn't rude by any means but my guess is, he was going to suggest the  Epic.

On EVO the email notifications work.  You can sync via USB to Windows mail and calendar.  You can change the reminder time in calendars just like BlackBerry in different increments.  Battery life is slightly better than Epic.  Interface is great and it is very user oriented.

I would highly recommend going to HTC site and looking at some of the videos.

Journeyman

Thanks for the update. I've been pretty happy with the Epic to be honest. I wish the 2.2 Froyo update would come soon, as my 30 day trial with this phone is almost up. Yes, the batterylife isn't the greatest....I'm getting used to it.

Having said that, my experience with syncing to Outlook wasn't an issue until I tried to do it again today. Some of the changes I made in Outlook did not appear on the phone. This is due to the 3rd party software I'm using, so I need to follow up with them to see why. Unfortunately, I'm a Blackberry guy and I want this thing to just work every time and not have to go figuring out why entries are not syncing correctly. Not being able to sync accurately is a HUGE problem.

Interesting to hear you like HTC better. I don't know if I'll get another 30 days to try out that phone if I take the Epic back. I would assume I wouldn't.

If I had to make a decision today, I would take the Epic back and just wait until improvements were made to the applications etc. My Blackberry still works like a champ (although it's been pretty slow lately) so I really don't have a good reason to abandon it. I like the apps and the big screen of the Epic....but I can live without it.

Journeyman

I've had the Epic now for 7 days and it looks like I will be returning it. I'd prefer to find a solution but I don't feel that it should be necessary to do this much research, calling for help, reading forums, etc to find corrections to basic functions of a new phone I 'upgraded' to!

Besides the poor battery life, I've been most frustrated with my e-mails not refreshing in a timely manner.  Even when I manually refresh, I still don't get the notification of new e-mail until later... and then I'm always getting e-mails that I've already deleted!  I've got the phone set to refresh my e-mails every 5 minutes and this is certainly not happening.  I had no such issue with my older phone (Samsung Instinct S30), so I'm obviously disappointed to be experiencing it with this one.  Another huge disappointment is not receiving my facebook notifications.  I consistently get an error message with the app.  I've got facebook bookmarked on my home page as well and half the time my notifications will not show here either.  It's very frustrating.

I've read another forum where users were having issues with e-mail accounts just randomly deleting themselves.  I have not experienced this.  There are clearly some issues that need to be worked out by Sprint, Samsung, Google, whomever!!  I payed a lot of money for this phone, not to mention the additional $10 a month although I don't have access to 4G and can't get some of these basic operations to work.  I have wondered if the Evo might be a better fit for me as I don't really need the slide out keyboard.  I'm skeptical at this point about trying another phone... and there are features I really enjoy about the Epic.  I know for a fact though that I will not hang on to this phone if I continue to experience these issues.

Journeyman

I am having the same email problem with my 7 day old Samsung Epic.  I am not getting consistent email notifications.  I also can't figure out how to keep the emails on the phone once I open them in Outlook on my PC... The emails automatically delete from my phone once I download/view them on my PC.  I am new customer coming from a Palm Pre Plus, and it got all my emails all the time.  But this phone is a breath of fresh air from the Pre, I just want the emails to work.

Message was edited by: jomax77

Journeyman

I can guess what's causing your Outlook issues, as I had them too. And I hate this problem with the Epic, too.

You've probably got your Outlook set to delete your emails off of your email provider's server once you've received them in Outlook. If you do that, your Epic will not get those emails. Unlike the Blackberry, which apparently can get the emails at the same time as your server, the Epic doesn't have a connection like that.

Totally irritating.

I do love the phone, though, for all the other things it does. Still can't believe the battery dies as quickly as it does.

I had no idea that Blackberry would spoil me so.

Journeyman

Try using K-9 Mail.  It does a great job.  I sarted using it a couple of days ago.  I had the same problem you are having before I installed this app and it's free.  I appears to have more features than the email app that came with the phone.

Journeyman

I'm having the same problem and I must say, I'm rather irritated. I paid a lot of money for this phone and have upgraded my service to support 4G only to be let down.

Initially, my I was receiving my Facebook notification and my email notifications, consistently.  Lately, however, Im not.  The only way to get my email is to open the app itself and wait for it to refresh. The notifications for FB?  I had to go into the application online and set to notify me via SMS or I have to manually go into the app on my phone and check the notifications. Even then, sometimes I get an error telling me it can't read the notifications at this time.

This is really discouraging and I have to tell you, I never had any of these issues with my blackberry..

Journeyman

Fixed!!!!!

The big fix was caving in and dowloading/setting up K9 email.  In its pop3 settings you can set it to "poll" your pop3 ISP mail server.  I think that's how it was explained to me.  Now I have it getting my emails from both my gmail and optonline emails  every 10 minutes(IMAP & POP3).  Also as recommended in this forum topic I changed the settings in Outlook to leave my emails on the server for 10 days, that way when my PC sends/recieves the emails from optonline (when it stays on) I will still get emails going to my Samsung Epic.

This was tough to figure out, but if you google K9 POP3 settings, it will explain it.  I did not have to change any of the port settings as K9 must have had optonline's in its database.

I wish the defualt email app worked because I liked it.  K9 is great though too, but for something as basic as email, I would have prefered to use the default app.  All this reminds me of my Palm OS days with snappermail.  FYI my PALM Pre Plus on Verizon always got my emails and setup was a snap.  I hope Sprint, Samsung and Google can fix this becuase I probably would go back to the default mail app.

I hope the rest of you get your phones to work.  I still am blown away by this phone.  Can't wait for Seido to come out with its extended battery.

Message was edited by: jomax77

Journeyman

There apparently is an extended battery available for the EPIC. I have emailed them to see if the replacement cover they ship will work with the epic, the battery will.

Mugen Power 3200mAh Extended Battery for Samsung GalaxyS i9000

[HLI-Si9000XL ]

If any one has tried this, Id like to know, but this battery will more than double the hours of available power, the original battery is 1500mAh. This is twice as large.

As for the EVO comparison:

Ive used many phones over the years, Ive tried most of the hot new phones. The EVO IS a good phone, after using it, I chose the EPIC. There is one main reason, the keyboard. When you use the EVO keyboard in the horizontal mode, it takes up the full screen. If you are looking at something, or trying to fill out a form, you cannot see anything but the keyboard and input screen on the EVO. The epic allows you to pull out the keyboard ( the best keyboard Ive seen on a phone) and still see the full screen. For me this is important. It may not be for you. The keyboard is awesome, it has EVERY function needed, the EVO does not. It avoids having to go to  a menu at times.

One other thing to consider. In very bright sunlight, out doors, its almost impossible to see the screen to type. The EPIC is brighter because of its screen technology but, even it can be difficult to read. The EPIC keyboard solves this, you can see it in any lighting condition, even in darkness.. it is backlit. Again, for me this is an issue.

The Android OS 2.1 on the phone is fine, it works well and pales the version of 2.1 I have on my samsung Moment. It is very stable, though still is a bit quirky, its good, but needs a little work, perhaps 2.2 will fix this, if not, I will look for a 3rd party package. Anything but writing something, I hate programming with a passion anymore.

On big quirk, NOTE THIS SPRING AND SAMSUNG!, is that the keys at the bottom of the phone only light when the screen is active. It is blacked out otherwise, its hard to know where and what they key is you are looking for to get a menu, you have to get used to the location or guess. This is great for saving battery life but printing the function of the screen would be better.

Anyway, both the EVO and EPIC are good phones, over the years Ive come to like sprint, been with them since they began, so something like 25 years. Ok, Ive had multiple lines, also some with other companies at the same time, they all have their own set of problems, but, sprint has proven to be customer service oriented with me, not many companies are.

Both are good phones, the EVO does have a great extended battery available as well, just choose the phone you like best.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat