cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Email and battery

Journeyman

Re: Epic Email and battery

I am having trouble with my email also, It is like you have to force it to refresh, I hope sprint fixes this problem. I like the Epic I really do, that is the only flaw that I have so far. I hope Sprint is taking notes on these problems, so when they do bring in the updated software, it will solve the problem.

Journeyman

I was having email problems as well - downloaded K9 mail from the market, free, and it works flawlessly. I have it set to update every minute and it hasn't proven a huge battery drain. Solved my problem and hope it works for you, too.

Journeyman

How long the battery lasts is mostly a function of how much you use it. I use my Epic throughout the day, but I'm a light user, and the battery usually lasts into the night. A real estate agent would most certainly use up the battery more than once a day. Too bad it's so inconvenient to swap the battery, but that's the next best choice for a heavy user. A Touchstone (Palm Pre) like charger would be nice, and make it more convenient to charge the phone while you're at your desk.

I've had an occasional surprise, though. Some app or "system service" will kill the battery once in a while, and it's very annoying.

The most frequent problem is an app that wants to use the Internet, but can't get a reliable connection. If you leave the app running and put the phone back in it's pouch, you may find the battery drained after a couple of hours because the app will continuously retry the connection in order to complete the transactions. This is different than a complete failure that errs out immediately. Since the app is having limited success, it keeps resetting the timeout counter, and the app keeps trying until it runs down the battery. The best solution is to terminate any app that uses the Internet every time you put the phone to sleep.

If you leave the browser running on a website that continuously refreshes itself, that too can drain the battery fast. Again, the best solution is to terminate any app that uses the Internet every time you put the phone to sleep.

Another problem is that sometimes a notification such as a new email or text message wakes up the phone, then body movements cause false touches on screen controls, and weird things begin to happen, sometimes resulting in draining the battery. I think enabling the lock ("Settings->Location and Security->Require Pattern") helps prevent false control touches.

When the battery gets run down too fast, I use "Settings->About Phone->Battery Use" to see what's been draining it. If I don't see anything obvious, it may be a "system service" accessing the internet, and I reboot the phone. Fortunately, this happens very infrequently, but I'm sometimes left with no phone for a while until I can get to a power source.

Message was edited by: COCOMIMI

Message was edited by: COCOMIMI

Journeyman

ok....so let me start by saying

I bought this phone when it first came out and tried everything mentioned and more.  I ended up returning the phone as I have to have my email and it wasn't working with the factory app nor with K9 or maildroid (two marketplace apps).

Long story short my husband bought it again for me for christmas...as I thought maybe it was just my phone.  Again same issues and nothing was resolving the emails not downloading (all the time).

Then something just dawned on me....I wonder if you can forward your emails to the gmail account you have to have for the phone.  WOW...THAT WAS IT....not only did I forward my emails to gmail, I set them up with labels so I know what email it is coming from (i have three) and I set it up to reply with the same email it came from.

The gmail is the closest thing to the blackberry email functionality.  I get my emails almost instantly and it has been working for over 24hours.

So for those of you who really love the phone, but hate the email.....this is a GREAT solution!  So happy I am keeping my phone

Journeyman

The battery life on the EPIC is mostly determined by how much screen use you have and what your programs are doing. If you are constantly accessing the internet you will use more battery and if you use the screen, you drain the battery.

I installed a 3000 Mah battery from Siedo, it was about half the price as the one from Muguen. The phone has a better feel to me with the bigger case, the battery life is awesome, I can go almost 2 days and it doesnt much matter what Im doing. It was well worth the money.

One issue I mentioned earlier, the problem of voice dialing using blue tooth. Everyone said we need to wait till 2.2 comes out, it isnt there. This includes sprint, samsung and some users here. Funny thing... it seems to work fine using the bluetooth in my Kia, I paired them, it fired up and the voice dial works flawlessly. I found something else by accident. The Kia radio, when you push the CD button is a toggle switch, it switchs from CD to an MP3 input. Well, when I set the MP3 player on, it plays the voice mail through the radio via bluetooth. I dont know exactly what Kia did, but they did it well. With this working, Im not concerned about 2.2 anymore.

Journeyman

I am having the same issues with my Epic! While there is so much to LOVE about this phone, there are some major irritations with the email problems, as you have described. I too am debating as to whether or not I should return this phone. And like you, it was an "upgrade' from a blackberry curve. Very frustrated!!

Journeyman

I posted earlier a few weeks ago re the email issue - K9 mail has solved it for me, and I haven't touched my (work-issued) Blackberry - or missed an email - since. I do set K9 to poll a couple of email accounts every minute, which it does faithfully and without an inordinate battery drain.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat