cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Hot Spot Not Working??

Journeyman

Re: Epic Hot Spot Not Working??

Wow.  Just bought mine yesterday for the sole reason of getting the hotspot functionality.  Had the same issues as everyone else.  No notification of the fee, and no way am I paying.  I feel like I just participated in the greatest bait and switch ever.  Guess I'm going back to sprint today to return my phone.

Journeyman

As of December 2, 2010 the reps are still selling the hot spot feature and not saying anything about the need to pay the $30.00 monthly fee to use it.  We should all be rooting our phones and using one of the hacks.

Journeyman

Well, for those of you considering paying the $29.99/month to get the hot spot anyway, I wouldn't bother.   I have paid that since day one of buying my Epic.  I have five different machines (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus) which I try to connect under four different OSes (Windows XP, Vista, 7, and Linux) using both Broadcom and Atheros cards.  None of them will connect, even though they all connect to other hot spots with no problems.

There are some nice features on the Epic.  Unfortunately, only a few of them actually work.  If my employer tried to peddle junk like this we'd be out of business.  How do telcos get around the problem of selling junk?

Journeyman

I don't know what was with your Epic. Mine worked flawlessly until I decided to opt out of the 4G fees by picking up a Transform. If you wanted to actually see a half-baked piece of new hardware, then you should pick up one of those. Transform owners are basically needing to wait for Samsung to issue the fine-polish to their Sprint flagship hardware before we even get a passable product.

Meanwhile, I'd take your product to Sprint tech support for a look-see. If xda developers can regularly get Epic users free WiFi hotspot functionality, I'm pretty sure your official app should work too.

Journeyman

My Epic HotSpot has worked flawlessly with my Windows laptop.

My salesperson told me up front about the $30, I paid it, and it's worked great - everywhere.

However, the other day I was on my wireless network at home, and there was a spike, and our internet went out. Ever since then, I've had problems using the HotSpot - the error says the DNS configuration on my laptop isn't right. anybody know how to fix that?

Thanks

Journeyman

While it is unlikely this is the cause, you might want to check your IP settings in Control Panel for the WiFi adapter to make sure that the DHCP is set up to accept DNS assignment from the DHCP server when you get your IP address assignment.  It can get messed up so that you accept the IP address, but not the DNS address.  Also, use IPCONFIG /ALL from a command prompt to check what the DNS is being set to after you connect.  When I am connected to my Epic the DNS goes to the same address as the gateway, which is of course the Epic itself.  If it is right IPCONFIG /ALL should show something like this:

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi
Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-33-44-55-66
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7b29:4050:50c6:1dec%13(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.40(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:18:46 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, March 01, 2011 12:18:41 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 343453453664
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-02-02-55-F3-4F-00-26-6B-42-19-49

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.16.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Highlighted
Journeyman

wasbakntyme wrote:

quasijedi wrote:

And, pray tell, what is to stop any one from using Easy Tether on their Evo or Epic???

If they think about what they are doing, then the answer is the same thing that stops most people from shoplifting, bypassing their electric power meter, or robbing banks.

Ja ja ja ja ja ja ja ja ja ja...

Just got the easy tether. Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully I can finally get my laptop connected at my office.

Journeyman

Thanks. I'll try that...

Patron

I've looked at the myriad responses and others trying to help.  You all need to understand you have to give step-by-step instructions, or your information is useless.

Thanks,

Sam

Journeyman

snowshoedude wrote:

Sounds like deceptive selling and advertising practices worthy of a class action suit. The advertising implies that the hot spot capability is delivered with the required service for the phone.  Sprint should change their practices asap.

Message was edited by: snowshoedude

HAHAHAHAHA you class action lawsuit happy people give me chuckles every time.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat