cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic ICS question - Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic ICS question - Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

when is the ics update coming???its taking forever... WE NEED A UPGRADE....

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted

Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

MARIABX485 wrote:

when is the ics update coming???its taking forever... WE NEED A UPGRADE....

ICS isn't being released for the Epic. It will not fit in the space available with the current configuration of the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

coasterphotos, is this a fact and if so prove it.

Highlighted

Nowhere is that stated as a reason, no. But search most of the Android forums and that is the belief. Apple sued Samsung over Touchwiz because it looked to much like ios. I believe they even have a patent or pending patent on the swipe to answer function where you swipe in a straight line to answer the phone. The app icons are also displayed with color boxes around them on ios. So it would appear they are making changes to make touchwiz look less like ios. These changes are taking place on ALL Samsung phones that use Touchwiz.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Epic ICS question - Re: 3/26 - Samsung Epic 4G Software Update - FC09

Check out CyanogenMod9 It's ICS and runs beutifully on the epic.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After suffering through the gps saga with Sprint's Epic it is clear to me that Sprint management has a policy of not maintaining older phones. I'm sure that Sprint Management actively prohibits its technical people from updating a phone just to improve its performance and reliablity. 

The only way an update can be pushed is if enough crapware vendors are willing to pay Sprint to add even more useless, uninstallable software to a phone.

I am convinced that Sprint's management wants you to hate your phone, that way you'll buy a new one!

Highlighted
Journeyman

All phones have what's called an End of Life term. A time when the phone is basically at the end of its support cycle as far as updates and such, this is the same for all carriers and all manufacturers (although times of course will differ). Sprint itself does not manufacture the phones so the EOL  has more to do with Samsung and how far they are willing to go with support for the device. As far as the disposability and the shortness of the life span of modern devices that's actually because the American economy cannot function without consumers constantly consuming.

Take for example the HP laser jet 4 printer it was made in '93 and still works like a beast, however you'd be lucky to get any modern printer to last 5 years let alone 20. We need people to constantly buy new things to keep the economy going. it's defiantly an unfortunate side effect of capitalism but that's a completely separate tangent. There are many things you can do to expand the life of all your devices however, living in a digital world, it's in everyone's best interest to look at spending some time getting to know their devices and what the life expectancy is. If your having issues with the phone and would like to keep using it past it's expiration date I'd invite you to check out XDA developers, they have a wonderful community of people who are happy to help out. Just google XDA developers and you'll be on your way

Cheers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

JimNaustin,

I share this theory.  I think they purposely send out crappy or buggy OTA "updates" to tank our phones so that it forces the customer or frustrates the customer into buying a new phone.  This is probably why fixes are rarely ever sent out.

The other day, when inquiring inside a Sprint store about needing a working GPS that the Gingerbread "update" broke, the Sprint rep's suggestion for me on how to fix that was to buy a new phone from them, which also requires a new 2 year contract commitment.  That's how they all make their money in this repetitious cycle of deceit and capitalism.

We joked around and as I explained with humor that my signal is now crappy, GPS doesn't work, Sprint customer service has gone down hill again, and receiving text messages has become as unreliable as Metro PCS.  He bragged that Sprint is number one right now, or something to that effect.  However, I think because the economy is so bad people are settling for poor service from Sprint because next to Metro they are the cheapest right now and since Sprint knows this, it's probably why they are not providing very good customer service anymore.  But my guess is that when the economy picks up and we're no longer in a recession, customers will begin to go back to choosing reliability (from other providers/carriers) over saving a few bucks with Sprint, and Sprint will go back to pretending like they care about good customer service by trying to improve it again as they did a few years ago.

Highlighted
Sprint Product Ambassador

@MARIABX485 - Samsung released a list of phones that will recive an update to ICS and the Epic 4G was not one of those phones. I had the Epic 4G myself and recently upgraded to the Epic Touch since it was on the listed as one of phones that will receive the ICS update by Samsung.

Disclaimer: I am NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped or answered your question, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Highlighted

Ahnicka wrote:

JimNaustin,

I share this theory.  I think they purposely send out crappy or buggy OTA "updates" to tank our phones so that it forces the customer or frustrates the customer into buying a new phone.  This is probably why fixes are rarely ever sent out.

That might sound good...but it really doesn't make sense. Unless you are paying full retail price for a phone, Sprint isn't making money off of phones. When you upgrade your phone at the new customer pricing with a new 2 year agreement, in most cases the phone costs Sprint more than you pay for it.

Also, it's not really up to Sprint to provide the updates, it is up to the phone manufacturer. Sprint doesn't create the updates, the manufacturer of the phone does. All Sprint does is test the updates provided to them by the manufacturer.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand what you're saying, and I agree that Sprint might not be making much money off of the phones, Samsung probably is. And you're right, the Sprint rep told me their major money is not made from the sell of phones, they make their money from the new contracts, getting people to sign up is where their main profit comes from, per his words.  I'm assuming that's why he told me the way to fix my GPS problem that Gingerbread broke was to upgrade to a new phone, which equates to signing up for a new contract.  I really don't have a need for a new phone though, I just have a need for a working GPS, a working signal, and reliability with receiving my text messages. I didn't used to have all of these problems before, so I'm not sure why or when their service went down hill.  Anyhow, I checked out the two phones he suggested for me to "upgrade" to, but when reading in the Sprint Community for those phones, they seem to have the same or similar problems.

As far as updates, I'm not like some others who feel they must have the latest update at all times.  I don't really care about receiving them as long as I'm not on too old of a system, especially when they seem to always trash the phone, which is why I still haven't downloaded the last one they sent; I'm afraid it'll make my phone worse. My point about the OTAs that they send out was to agree with JimNaustin that I think they - whether it be Sprint, or Samsung, or both of them in on it - intentionally send out crappy/buggy "updates/fixes" so that it messes up your phone and forces customers out of exasperation to go buy a new phone; thus, a new sign up/contract.

I'm not doubting your perception on the following, but if Sprint tests the updates provided to them as you say, then I certainly cannot tell.  I don't think so many people would be on this board having the same problems from Gingerbread if that were true, or if they attempted a decent job at it. And yes I know not everyone has these problems, but there is a good population who does.  The same way they claim to have upgraded their towers or Network Vision or whatever they call it so that the signal is better; this also appears to not be true because the signal is horrible, much on par with Metro PCS.  How does a signal get worse, pretty much horrible, if improvements and upgrades have supposedly been made.  That isn't logical to me.  Maybe they are upgrades for their finances, but they seem to translate into downgrades and poor service/signals for customers.  I used to speak very highly of Sprint's signal and how calls are not dropped. I can no longer say that, which is unfortunate. They may feel like they're on top and not care about their customers now, but the tide always changes and when they're no longer on top they might go back to improving their customer service just like they did a few years ago. I think a few years back I read how Sprint was acknowledged as having the most improved customer service or something, hopefully one day that improvement will happen again.

Message was edited by: Ahnicka

Highlighted
Journeyman

So this is My Problem...I just bought my phone in December, been with sprint for a long time 1st time Android user. I know the Epic was not a Brand New Android phone just didnt know that it came out in 2010, the Reason for me buying the phone is 1 the Keyboard 2. The Look of it.. I Love My Phone, Do I Love the Fact that it Freezes up No way That People across the US can hear my Phone Calls Heck no Lolz..But You find ways around it or fixes thanks to all the Great Communities out there..But Truth be told if we pay money for something and need help with it We should get it..And for someone to say upgrade your phone is just a BS answer esp when those are not options for people who just renewed their contracts or have ample time on their contracts...Xd Developers are the Best I've known about them since I had My htc Touch Pro..The issue with adjusting Mods is one it can be a scary thing if you brick your phone...or Like me had to send in my daughters Evo Shift because her Sd Card Reader wasnt working so I needed to send it to htc so they can repair it instead of getting a refurbished phone from sprint if phones are rooted you void warranties....That phone is also only going on 4 months old..It Sucks the The Epic Will not get ICS but atleast make software updates that work...Ps Sprint will always blame Samsung and Samsung will Always blame Sprint...Truth be Told they are Both in a Parntership and they Both are making Money

Coaster Photos do you Work for sprint? I've seen you on these discussion often and I feel you kind of get very defensive when it comes to sprint..You have to understand that as a customer who has dealt with Customer Service both in and out of stores People get frustrated when they are told so many different Things...Also doesn't want to hear if you can't pay the bill right...So they shouldn't come up with these crazy excuses...I rather hear the truth then be told a million and one excuses...Just my Opinion

By the Way still using E122 didnt like El30...Has anyone updated to Fc09 any Changes?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat