cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic Lemon

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic Lemon

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel a certain amount of irritation regarding the support, or, more accurately, the lack of support shown to the Epic 4G phone users.  The support is needed because the Epic is a lemon.  It is a phone that, in retrospect, was outdated the moment it was introduced and has never truly lived up to either the hype of its given name nor the position of contender for Flagship phone vis-a-vis the HTC Evo that was tacitly promised.  Let us go over the details, shall we?

1)  Epic comes with Android 2.1 Eclair, rather than 2.2 FroYo which had been promised, and is immediately outdated by, seemingly not being suited for updating.

2)  On a personal note, my screen shorted within 2 months of being purchased.  Sounds - sure.  Functionality - Nope.

3)  Android updates are pushed back further and further until an update is seen not as inevitable, but as a twisted joke.

4)  Epic 4G finally gets FroYo, but the update is called back b/c of the terrible build.  Many phones are bricked.  Most other phones need to go to Sprint service to figure out what the hell happened.

5)  Epic 4G again gets FroYo over-the-air, but there are still problems.  Battery life gets destroyed.  Phones overheat.  The phone turns off randomly. 

6)  While taking my overheated phone to a Sprint store (merely talking on the phone via bluetooth made it hot to the touch) I see others in line with similar issues.  All phones get hard reset with non-OTA installations of FroYo.

7)  Epic 4G is due to get Gingerbread (Android 2.3) but release is pushed back.

😎  Epic 4G version of Gingerbread delays become a similar joke to the FroYo update though the Epic should be a perfect platform for Gingerbread.

9)  News of a new Epic from Samsung for the Galaxy S2 line comes out.  It appears that Sprint and Samsung realize that a new phone is the answer for solving this software/firmware updating issues.

10)  Epic 4G running FroYo as of 9/12/11 is running slower than when it first came out with Eclair.  It eats battery life faster.  It takes a long time to switch from landscape to portrait.  It doesn't refresth quickly.  The Epic 4G is less efficient and less effective now after updates than it was out of the box.

So here is my suggestion to Sprint and Samsung.  You know you delivered a lemon.  The Epic 4G had great promise and a slide-out keyboard that caused several of us (myself included) to purchase this particular phone rather than

get the EVO which has had greater support.  It is incumbent upon these companies to do something about this and I have some suggestions:

1)  Replace all Epic 4Gs with new Epics from the Galaxy S2 line so that we finally get our promised updates.

2)  Allow us to upgrade our phones after 1 year to something other than Samsung at a more beneficial price.  I personally am ready to dump Android b/c of this experience and turn to the darkside of an iPhone.

3)  Fix the issues and stop the nonsense of saying "these things take time" and "we won't comment". 

Sprint is about to be the smallest company and needs all of the support it can have of its users.  I adore Sprint and I would love to stay, but part of keeping your customers is keeping standards of support.  If Sprint wants to compete, it can't lose anyone already in the Sprint family.  Especially those of us who have paid for 4G (whether we can get it or not) in order to support the movement. 

Ok people:  Thoughts?  Feelings?  Agreements or disagreements?

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Epic Lemon

That will not happen...they can not give all of us the new phone...personally my Epic has performed very well...do I want the 2.3.4 on my phone...yes...waited too long already...but it is a good phone regardless...getting the update (this one was never promised...BTW) would make it a great phone...

I do wish they would do the updates more frequently than they do...HTC is always pumping them out...why does Samsung not follow suit...after all HTC is their competitor...

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

I know that Sprint won't give us the newest version of the Epic and they are very unlikely to allow us to upgrade early.  However, I do hope that they seriously consider the implication for their brand's image.  I know that they are banking on the iPhone 5 allowing them competitive parity and sticking to an unlimited usage plan to give them competitive advantage.  However, Android is here and it in order to compete it has to do well.  The 4g phones are/were Sprint's ace.  By not successfully supporting its best advantage, Sprint is effectively shutting out the consumer and sacrificing loyal users for potential users.  This is almost as bad an idea as their merger with Nextel. 

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

My Epic 4G has been nothing but a nightmare.  I kept waiting and waiting for the updates in hopes they would fix this horrible GPS issue and with each update it has gotten so much worse.  The home screen lags for 10 seconds sometimes and the battery is drained so quickly and on top of that I am getting frequent lockups.  I will never, I mean never, buy another Samsung product again.

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

Professor O,

I understand your frustration. I am a new Sprint customer and was a loyal AT&T customer for 10 years. I switched to sprint about 3 months ago and bought the Samsung Epic 4G. I have had nothing but problems with this phone. Does yours ever Force Close apps? Mine does at least 3 times a day. Also, does anyone else have problems with the icons not showing on the homescreen for at least 20 seconds?  Nonetheless, I was extremely excited about getting this phone, but was let down very quickly. I can't believe that a phone with SO MANY complications could be put on the market. It was as if there was NO testing completed on this device, almost as if they threw it together and into the boxes just to make some $$. HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED in SPRINT.

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

I have the exact same problem with the icons not showing on the home screen for 20 seconds.  I always show this to people as the reason not to buy the phone.

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

i know a couple people that have had nothing but problems with that phone... the bottom buttons stopped working, the speaker fried out, it just straight shut off one time and never turned back on, the screen stopped working, i could go on and on lol ive heard ALOT of problems with that thing

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

The answer to your problems is to update to the leaked EH17 Gingerbread android OS. My phone is running smoothly and quicker than ever with Giingerbread. I only have some occassional random reboots as a bug. You will have to go to www.youtube.com to get instructions how to update your phone on your own with a PC. It is really well worth it.

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

I completely feel your pain.  I've had so many problems with the update!  Freezing up, icons disappearing, my location not updating, WiFi not turning on when I hit the button, slide out keyboard not registering some of the keys I press (ONLY when texting, if it were all the time I'd think it was a keyboard problem), Apps sometimes taking forrrrrrrever to download or load when I open them, Apps freezing up when I'm trying to do more than one thing on the phone, etc.  Everytime I go to the store with the complaints, they just treat me like I'm an idiot.

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

I have an update for all of you.  This should be fun.  First and foremost, I got irritated enough to call customer care (Sprint) and complain.  I went up the ranks of managers until I was told that they would replace my phone with anything else just to get me to shut up.  I thanked them, went on-line and realized that the iPhone would be coming out.  Woot.  I'm moving to Apple because they support their phones.  However, it was quite a wait so I have not yet done so.  On another forum about battery issues, I was contacted, sent to "Executive Care" and told that I could send my phone to Samsung who would evaluate whether or not it was a defect in the phone's hardware (yeah, right) and they would get back to me in 3-4 weeks.  No phone to use while they had it.  No guarantees.  I have asked to speak to a manager of managers and that should be moving me up the ranks.  Still planning on switching phones.

So for all of you who think you are screwed - call and complain until they give you a new phone.

Journeyman

Epic Lemon

Oh, I agree!!!  Came here looking for a solution to why all of a sudden receiving picturemail changed on my phone.  All of the incoming picturemails randomly one day just started coming from the number "9000".  No matter who sent them.  Then I have to click on FOUR links to even view the pic and even then its a thumbnail!  Its such a pain, I've just stopped opening them.  Called tech support, got NO support.  They acted like they had never heard of this and told me to go to the the store.  I'm on my 3rd Epic in one year now, the stores have never been able to help.  And did I mention, even making the call to tech support is frustrating because anytime my cheek gets near the phone it hangs up.  Anytime I need to press a button in a phone tree, it registers so slowly that I've ended up hitting it twice and screwed up everything, thus I have to call back.  Its a PHONE. I can't even make calls on it without it somehow lagging and messing up.  Anyway, my point is, The only Samsung I will ever buy again will be a tv.  The screen is beautiful on the Epic (when its not fried... That happened to replacement Epic #2).  My days with this piece of crap phone are over thankfully soon.  I switched to iphone which I know is intuitive, and well built with wonderful support.  I'm seriously considering backing over the Epic with my car.  Nothing would give me more pleasure! 🙂  Unfortunately, I will need to keep it as a backup in case something ever happens to my iphone (after all, no phone is ever perfect).  Glad to hear ProfessorO that you are getting somewhere.  Good luck!

Ps- I would never have been able to type this post on the Epic.  Every 3rd letter would be missing, another hidden gem of this **** phone that has never been fixed.

Wizard

Epic Lemon

The Epic is a great phone ... when it works.  However, it has issues.  Ones I've seen include loss of WiFi ability for no apparent reason, loss of GPS ability for no apparent reason, lock-ups now and then, problems recognizing all of the apps on the SD card after reboot, inability to update apps on the SD card.  Except for app updating (I have to move the apps to the phone first), rebooting typically solves these problems ... except when it causes the phone not to recognize all the apps on the SD card.  So far, it seems like the only way I can make sure things work properly is to power down, pull the battery, wait a few minutes for the device to clear stuff out, then put the battery back in and power up again.  This and every other work-around I have to do is an annoyance that should not exist.  I'm sure that there are other problems documented elsewhere, in addition to what the original post mentions.  It's sad to think that Sprint/Samsung seem to consider a new phone (Galaxy S II) the solution to the problem.  If that *is* their solution, we should be offered it.  Of course as someone else noted, we won't.  And Gingerbread was promised to us -- has everyone forgotten the mid-May Samsung press release (http://www.samsung.com/us/news/presskitRead.do?page=1&news_seq=19854)?  While they didn't explicitly say the Epic would get Gingebread, they did say that Galaxy S phones in North America would get it "according to the regional plan" (whatever the heck that vague statement means), and the Epic is a Galaxy S phone in North America.  With Ice Cream Sandwich out now, we're 2 OS versions behind (again!), and we probably won't ever see ICS officially since Sprint is supposed to end-of-life the Epic soon, this month is what I last remember hearing.  My basic conclusion at this point -- get a Nexus, since that's supported almost directly by Google as far as I can tell.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat