cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic display hogging Battery Use chart?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic display hogging Battery Use chart?

So I've had my Epic for 4 days and overall I'm happy with the battery life but something is confusing me.

In the Battery Use chart, located at  Shortcuts->Settings->Battery Use for those having trouble finding it, my display is always the biggest battery drain using between 35-60% of the battery. I compared it to a friend with the Hero and his display seems to be quite a bit lower. Is this just a difference in how each phone measures the display or is there more to it?

What kind of numbers are others seeing?

For reference, here's some detailed info:

Display        - 37% at 21m 7s use

Cell standby   - 26% at 4h 22m

Phone idle     - 18% at 4h 1m

Bluetooth      - 11% at 4h 22m

And my friend was more like (approximate on a Hero):

Cell standby   - 40% at 7h

Phone idle     - 35% at 7h

Display        -  5% at 25m

What are others getting?

9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Epic display hogging Battery Use chart?

This should make you feel much better. I am only getting like 2 hours of full use off the charger.

Display 82

Android core apps 5

Cell standby 3

Bluetooth 2

I am wondering if I just have a bad battery or something, but I have a friend that is having the same problem.

Update!!!!!!!

Friend is still having the battery drain and is now considering returning it.

I installed "Juice Defender" and "Advanced Task Killer." It says it helped, it will go from 100% to 70% on a 20 minute drive through 3g covered areas with nothing at being used apart from whatever wireless info is going on in the background. This is also with 4g, wifi, gps, bluetooth turned off. I just tested it at work, and it went from 100% to 2% in 1hr 40mins. I put it on "Airplane Mode" and it took........exactly three hours to charge. When it displays the message "Fully charged, unplug from charger" the battery percentage reads 97%. Please, please tell me if this is normal. I only have a week left on my 30 day return policy. I have kids and cannot own a phone that goes dead all the time because it cannot hold a charge. No this is not my first smart phone. I had a Treo 300 back in 2002, a Treo 600, a 700, an 800, an Htc Touch, A PPC 6800, a Samsung Instinct, and a Palm Pre. The only thing that comes close in the battery drain department would be the Samsung Instinct.

Message was edited by: geoffsmith76

Journeyman

Yup, this is one of the biggest untruths (well, at the very least a case of incomplete facts) of AMOLED / SAMOLED.  When the screen is on but displaying ALL black, AMOLED uses much less power than LCD.  The reason for that is the backlight on LCD's is always on and the LCD panel blocks out the light to create black.  On an AMOLED screen, each subpixel is like a tiny light bulb generating it's own light.  If you are displaying anything other than black, AMOLED will quickly overtake the power consumption of LCD.  The break even point depends on the size, brightness and image color.  At similar brightness, a typical web page (white background with black letters and color images) will use three times (or more at higher brightness) as much power as a similar LCD.  The flipside being a simple black background with red text (red uses less power than white) at a low brightness and LCD will consume more power.  That said, we all know how striking AMOLED is at displaying pictures, movies and games.

Journeyman

Dumb question from 1st time smart phone user: When Battery Use  shows Display @ 84% and all other uses in single digits, is the displayusing this much battery ALL the time, or only when the screen is "live" with the app icons, etc.?  I assume that when the screen is off and black that it is using much less battery.  But in the first two days I've had the phone I can almost watch the battery icon move to empty!

Any suggestions on a better/best battery monitor app?

Thanks

arewin

Journeyman

The numbers add up to 100%.  The meanin is that of the battery used since the last time it was connected to a charger, 84% had been used for the display.  If you do not turn on the display, it does not use any power.  Ex: if you unplug the phone and do not turn on the display for a period of time long enough to be statistically relevant (say over an hour) then turn on the display and go look at the battery use, display will be low and Cell / Phone will be high, but that will quickly change with the display on.

Journeyman

Thanks

Journeyman

I have really cut my useage to get the battery to last as long as possible. I very rarely actually talk on it, send less than 25 texts a day, have the screen at 50% and timing out at 15 seconds. Don't have GPS, wifi, 4g or bluetooth on and I'm lucky for it to last 11 hours. Simply put, there should be a recall on this phone strictly from the extremely poor battery performance. And the real kicker is we're paying an extra $10/ month and if we try to use it, the battery will drain in a couple of hours.

The battery issues are the biggest issue but the poor email push, unexplainable roaming, the random mystery notification tones  and this thing sending texts to the wrong contacts ( may be a Google issue) are among other issues I've been having with this phone. And I am a former EVO owner and have been with Sprint since 1999, so I am not new to Android or Sprint coverages in my area.

I am not happy with this phone at all and,aside from the Android Browser, I'm not a fan of the Android OS.  FAIL!

Journeyman

There must be some kind of problems with your guy's Epics. My Epic can easily make it through an entire day...My evo would be dead by 3 o' clock. I get like 70% more battery life with the epic. Some days I bet I could amost last two days. Are you toggling your airplane mode on/off after each restart?

Journeyman

I agree.  Generally speaking, with careful power management, the Epic has reasonable battery life. Of course if you turn everything on and have multiple push email accounts, you can kill it fast. But that is covered in other threads.

This thread is specifically about the “Display hogging Battery Use Chart”. On that topic there were two observations to be made.  The first was that just because the Display is showing a high percentage in the battery use chart (Ex: 84%) does not necessarily mean that it will consume 84% of the battery. The Second is that when in use, and especially when the display is showing something other than black (the brighter the color, the more power it uses) the display is a battery HOG and will kill the battery.

The interesting thing about AMOLED (any type, including SAMOLED) is that it is advertised as using much less power than LCD. The fact is that when both screen types are showing an all black image, AMOLED uses a fraction of the power of LCD (that is mostly due to the fact that LCD uses a backlight that is always on.) However, in the opposite situation (say browsing a website or reading a book or basically doing anything where there is actually an image on the screen) the WORST case scenario being an all white screen, the LCD will be using basically the same amount of power as when it is showing black but the AMOLED will be many times (three to five on average) more power than LCD.

Journeyman

Turn off Auto Sync and Backround data

go here:  menu-settings-accounts and sync

Uncheck Backround data

Then turn off DRM. This was turned on during recent update to add Media-Hub

go here: menu-settings-applications-running services - touch to stop the DRM Application

These  two changes should dramatically increase battery life. After normal  usage from 6:30 AM to 8:00PM I still usually have 50% battery left.

Keep in mind all the new smart phones are basically small computers in a phone package. Heavy use will kill your battery just liek on a laptop.

I still have a charger in my car and at work in case I need a top off of juice.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat