cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic locks up and cannot turn off

Journeyman

Epic locks up and cannot turn off

Is it common for the Epic to lock up? I have had it do so 4 times in less than 30 day. It's just sitting there doing nothing and the 4 buttons will light up and stay on. That is how I know it's locked up. Nothing will get it to respond when this happens. I only just found by accident that pushing power, camera, and volume at the same time will force a reset. Luckily this works as holding the power button does nothing.

My concern is this is a defective phone and should be replaced prior to my 30 days. Or is this common with Android phones? Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Epic locks up and cannot turn off

I've had the same thing happen from time-to-time, so I can't tell you if it's a hardware issue or not.  Hopefully, someone from Sprint will weigh in.  I've had the most trouble when bluetooth is enabled though.  I've also had the screen just go completely back occasionally when bluetooth is enabled.  Otherwise, it's been very stable. I love the phone, I just wish sprint & samsung knew how to test their software.  For what these sell for, I expect better software testing.

Thanks for the hard reset tip.  I think I've triggered it by accident and not realized what the button combination was.

Journeyman

My Epic has done this maybe 3 times.  I noticed that it started after I installed Launcher Pro but it's difficult for me to tell if this is the direct cause.  I did see a Sprint Admin state in another thread that this is a known issue that is scheduled to be fixed with the next MR update from Samsung.  So far there hasn't been an official date set for the update.  I provided a link to the other thread below. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/236072

Journeyman

The more technology companies are packing into phones can make them glitchy at times. One way to prevent a glitch in the operating system is to powercycle your phone at least once a day. It is a good practice each day to turn off your phone for 5 to 10 minutes before turning it back on.

Journeyman

My coworker has a brand new epic that she got yesterday, and it locked up on her this morning.  We took the battery out and put it back in and that seems to have done the trick.  I hope this does not become a recurring issue with her phone.

Journeyman

It happens to me about every once a week, its really annoying! Sprint this is the most expensive phone you have availible! I paid 379 up front waited for my 100 dollar rebate! Is too much to ask that my 250 dollar phone work the way it should. You never have any probelms sending me the bill though, I pay an extra 10 bucks for 4g and i dont get 4g in my home!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat