cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic unable to play media after a certain amount of time. Help?

Highlighted
Journeyman

UPDATE: We are experimenting a possible connection between this problem and the app "Twitter for Android." For now, I recommend that you uninstall this app, restart your phone, and see if the problem persists. If you still need a Twitter app, there are many available in the Android Market that work just as well (if not much better) than Twitter for Android. I use Twicca, but Tweetdeck, Seesmic, and Tweetcaster I have heard are also great apps. Click Here for the search results of alternative Twitter clients.  I will come back within the next day or two with my own personal results.

ORIGINAL POST -

I use my Epic as someone else who has an iPhone would use their iPhone. It's my media player, my movie player, I go on YouTube alot, that sort of thing. When I first turn on my phone this works fine, however after a certain amount of time (no idea how long),

I open YouTube and any video I tap on says "An Error has occured" or "This video cannot be played" or something like that and a "tap to retry" option, which never works.

With my music, I try to tap on a song, and my music app (DoubleTwist) freezes for a bit and just says "This media file no longer exists". I try the same thing with other music apps (Cubed, AmazonMP3, and the stock one for 2.2) and still no luck.

Lastly, with the Stock Android video player, if I try to play any video, whether it's an .MP4 online or a video I have stored on the phone, a popup window says "Sorry, this file cannot be played."

This only started to happen when I updated my Epic to Android 2.2 EC05. I have EB13 before and then Di07 I believe before that. I haven't even tried to root or anything like that. I have removed many of my apps to see if they were the issue and it continues to happen again. Even if I try to restart my phone, the problem goes away but soon comes back.

Is it too much to ask for a smartphone to play my music whenever it's on? Because of this glitch, I've woken up late because my music wouldn't play for my Alarm Clock. I've gone through a lot of frustration. Is anyone having this same problem, and is there a fix at all? Please help. I would like to avoid resetting my phone because that is a HUGE pain in the #%&.

14 REPLIES 14
Journeyman

I have the exact same problem and was wondering if anyone knew why and who the heck is going to fix it for us. Usually restarting the phone fixes it, but still it's a pain in the rear end. Especially on such a high quality phone.

Journeyman

I am running into the same problem.  When I try to play a music file it says, "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file".  When I tried to play a different audiofile I got the same message.  When I downloaded a different music player, I got the same message, meaning that it is not the program, but rather something in the phone. 

Another symptom is that if I have a song set as my ringtone, the phone does not ring.  This is annoying as hell, seeing as suddenly my phone won't ring, and only vibrates.  This is something that is new, as it did not happen for the first month or so following my update to Android 2.2.  I don't think that my phone has goen through any updates, but this is really getting on my nerves.

I realize that if I reboot the phone then it resets, and the ringer works perfectly fine, as does my audio players, but I should not have to do this 3 times a day.  It could work.  I would like to figure this out as soon as possible so I can fix this.  I have paid a pretty penny for a phone that is supposed to receive calls, and a lot for a phone plan to do so, and to not complete its primary objective is a little silly.

Journeyman

Re: Epic unable to play media after a certain amount of time. Help?

Add another user with the exact same problem to this list.  I've been searching for over a week on this issue and many others are experiencing this same issue, but I have yet to find even a hint of solution... or even a direct cause.

However, I have found unmounting and remounting the SD card (Settings -> SD card and phone storage -> Unmount SD card) fixes this problem and is much quicker than a shutdown/restart.

Journeyman

well make that four people now. i have had this phone for 4 days you tube does not work nor do my ringtones. i had a ringtone work for the day an now it wont. the message that keeps coming up is SORRY, THIS PLAYER DOES NOT SUPPORTS THIS TYPE OF AUDIO FILE. Can some one please help me

Journeyman

@ADRITKP & @BOARDMONKEY : agreed.

@RCAFFREY816: That used to work for me but for the past 2 times that hasn't helped. :/ I sincerely hope that in the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update for Epic this is solved. Otherwise I will be very very angry.

@MARSHALL47825: The best fix is to just restart your phone every 3 - 4 hours or so. Turn it off, then turn it on again. But my other friends with Android phones don't have to do this, and my friends with iPhones sure as h-e-l-l don't have to either. Is it too much to ask for a smartphone to be able to play music? My old enV Touch even did that. Even my RZR from 4 years ago did that.

Journeyman

I have the same issue i took it in and did a hard reset and it still happens. What the hell i think im just going to go back to my blackberry, im still within my 30 days. This sucks, i wish i had the iphone, maybe i will go to verizon or att since i am out of contract. I wonder if this is just an epic issue or and android issue.

Journeyman

OK, I need everyone to try this and report back in a few days to let me know if it worked.

I am now at 1 full week of functioning without a problem.  It was determined by me and several other Epic users on a different forum that the common app between us was 'Twitter for Android'.  We all uninstalled it and have yet to experience any issues a week later.  (I would suggest Seesmic as a great alternative app for Twitter!)

Please, everyone here, uninstall 'Twitter for Android' and let me know if you have success like we did.  If this is true for enough people, I'll be in contact with Twitter Mobile's dev team to let them know what is happening with their app.

Thanks,

-R

EDIT: MBERRY2T1, as I mentioned above, this appears to be an issue between the  'Twitter for Android' app and Android 2.2.  This is occurring not just  on Epic phones, but several others including some HTC and Motorola phones  as well.

Journeyman

This sounds about right.  I downloaded the Twitter Application about the time that all of my problems started to occur.  I have uninstalled it, and I have restarted my phone.  I will get back in a couple of days with results.  I will be happy to be able to use my music for ringtones again, rather than the stupid ringtones that are preloaded on the phone. 

If this ends up being the case, then I will also send a message to Twitter to let them know that they are having a problem with compatibility with Android 2.2.  I have been an Android user for two years, and I have never had something like this happen.  Now I just have to figure out why my phone needs takes a while to load the home screen when I rotate the phone.  Once that is fix, everything will be coming up Milhouse!

Journeyman

Thank you for this! I have also uninstalled Twitter for Android and restarted my phone. I will get back to you tomorrow with any results. I hope you are right. If so THANK YOU, you are a lifesaver on this one. I will also edit my OP to add this revalation.

Also, I just restarted my phone, you know how with the 2.2 update that it vibrates when it's "fully" off? It seemed like it went faster this time. The Twitter for Android app must really be horrible.

Journeyman

So I have deleted the Twitter Application, and my phone has sped up already.  The problem that I had with Auto-Rotation with sliding open my keyboard has stopped.  It used to take up to 10 seconds to load the home screen if I slid open the keyboard while on the home screen.  Now it is instant.  It looks like Twitter was a major memory drain.  When I first installed this application it did not act like this.  I wonder if this happened during an update of their application.  I will update in a couple of days with the state of my music player.

Journeyman

It has not been a couple of days since I have uninstalled Twitter, and my phone has been working perfectly every since.  I have not restarted my phone since thursday night, and everything is working perfectly.  I hope that everyone else has solved their problem.

Boardmonkey

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat