Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expected battery life for Epic 4G?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi all,

I've just picked up a new Epic 4G and I'm finding that the battery only lasts about 8-10 hours even if it's just sitting waiting for phone calls to come in with no other usage. Is this correct or did I get a bum battery with this phone, seems awfully limited if that is all the charge it typically holds.

Thanks,

Rich

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

The Sprint website says the phone gets 6 hours of talk time. I'm not sure how long the standby time is, but it should last multiple days with no usage (i.e. Airplane mode with no mobile network connection). Unfortunately, the answer to the question "How long should my battery last?" is... it depends.

I got my Epic on Halloween 2010 and since then I've drained my battery in as little as a few hours, but most days I can go for at least a 24 hour period on one battery. When the phone was new, I'd burn through the battery pretty quickly because I was constantly playing with it... Here are a few tricks I've picked up along the way, so hopefully this helps:

1. Always make sure the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS and 4G are always switched off unless you are using them. This is easy to do by pulling down the status bar at the top of the screen.

2. Add the "Power Control" widget to one of your home screens. It has a few redundant toggle buttons (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS), but also has one for sync and backlight settings. Always make sure the backlight setting is set to the symbol with the 'A' on it. If you're really hurting for battery life, make sure all of the buttons are switched off (not green).

3. Check data-bound widget settings. If you have widgets that are polling for data every 5 minutes, if could negatively affect your battery life. Change the refresh rate to 4 hours or more. Even if you have to manually refresh a widget, it's still quicker than going out to the web.

4. The screen is the biggest battery drain, so make sure to always manually turn off your screen (side power button) after you're done using it. If you have a really long screen timeout, it could drain your battery pretty fast.

If you're already doing these things and this isn't the issue, check your signal strength at home, work, etc. If you aren't getting a signal consistently, your phone might be spending a large amount of time and effort searching for a signal. If none of this is happening, it's possible that your battery might have an issue, but I seriously doubt that is the case. Good luck and I hope your experience with the Epic is as good as mine!

Journeyman

It seems I have my phone constantly on the charger, either at work or at home...  It loses battery signal so fast -- and it has been heating up when it's in my pocket!  As far as I know, I don't have any applications open -- or at least none that i KNOW about!  Come November, when it is time for an annual phone upgrade, I hope to trade this in for an iphone (please Apple stop monopolizing the playing field) or back to a Blackberry, which didn't seem to eat as much battery power...

Journeyman

Thanks for the responses. Seems like it's more a matter of battery management than anything else.

Rich

Journeyman

Its the phone and battery. They both suck. I have my display set to half brightness and timeout at 15 seconds. I have wifi, bluetooth, gps and 4G turned off. My mail is push mail due to work(which I didn't have an issue with a blackberry draining the battery). I can go all day without talking on the phone or texting and it will still be dead by the time I go on. I can even go in and check to see what apps are running and kill task and battery still dies. I regret ever swiching to sprint and getting the Epic.

Journeyman

I have found that if I close the little charger connection "door" on the phone my battery lasts longer. I think the power was escaping with it open, because I could feel the energy waves penetrating my brain when I talked on the phone. I get much better battery life with it closed.

Journeyman

I have had the very same experience as this PSMITH485.  My phone went dead yesterday after I made a 35 minute phone call, and had not otherwise used my phone all day!  One day last week, my phone went completely dead for 12 hours, and it took most of that time to charge it up so it would work again.  I am very afraid that at some point I am going to be involved in an emergency where I need to call 911, and my phone will not resond.  Lives could be at stake here! This kind of poor performance is not what I bargained for.  I feel very misled by the advertising.  I have been with Sprint for 10 years, and this is my worst cell phone ever!  I regret now that I did not change providers before I signed on with this 2 year contract.  I am going to go to the Spring store and demand a new phone.  If another provider would pick up the tab for the fee I would have to pay for breaking my contract, I would leave Spring today.  A word of caution, if you are considering the Samsung Epic 4g, do not get it!!!  The claims of 4G service are extremely exaggerated!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat