cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally stepping into modern times, Epic a good first?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Finally stepping into modern times, Epic a good first?

I'm finally going to upgrade my ancient LG Rumor and I'm thinking about getting the Epic. I have been playing around with them at local sprint stores and can't really figure anything out but then again I'm always nervous having a salesman standing right behind me making me feel like I shouldn't be touching the phone. I was just wondering if this is an easy phone to learn. I tend to keep my phones longer than the two years, and never upgrade before because phones are just so darn expensive these days , so I want to get something that's new. It wasn't even a year after I got my rumor and I felt out of date with my phone so I'm willing to dish out the $250 to hopefully last at least a year with the epic So is this phone really worth me spending the money on or am I going to be at a complete loss when I take the phone out of the box? ..It's also my first android phone and I'm very excited about getting to use some apps although I don't know where or how to get those from either Thank you in advance to those who answer!

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Sprint Product Ambassador

Re: Finally stepping into modern times, Epic a good first?

Right out of the box it's very usable.  The buttons do what they say they'll do.  It syncs up to your Google account and gets your contacts.  Mail, web and more all work.

And, as you play with it more you'll learn more about the phone and how to customize it, add different widgets, re-configure your whole homescreen and more.  You can pretty well create your own custom user interface on the phone.

There's also a ton of third-party apps out there to let your phone do just about anything you can imagine.

It's also big, bright, easy to read, fast to repsond to touch, and has a very clear speaker and earpiece.

Drawbacks?  It's big.  The battery won't make a full (16 hour) day without a recharge.  You get people asking you 'What's that!' when you pull it out in a store.

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

I was in the same boat as you.  Had a LG ENV2, wanted a smartphone, and switch to Sprint (whose plans are on the average 20-30% less expensive than Verizon).  I live in a 4G market so it boiled down between the Evo & Epic.  My local market didn't have any Evos available so I picked up the Epic on launch day.

Break in period took about 2 days before I was comfortable navigating all the menus without referring to the manual and everything made sense.  To compensate I did buy an external charger & extra battery for the days I anticipate not being near a ready AC source, picked up a couple of the free apps from the Android Market (Battery Booster & Advanced Task Killer) that seem to work better than the native Samsung widget. Got Ringdroid from the A-Market so I could make my own ringtones.

The epic does have its cons; poor to mediocre battery life (compared to 3-4 days with the Env2), poor GPS, and size.  But overall I like the pros (mobile internet, data everything plan, screen display and usability) and I am pretty satisfied with the purchase.

Journeyman

Wengla02: Thank you for the reply and I loved the "Drawbacks? You get people asking you "what's that!" when you pull it out in a store"

Journeyman

Danohi: Thank you for the info and the comparisons! I think I'm going to take the plunge and just go for it, it sounds like I don't have too much to worry about

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat