cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find and update the software version on your Samsung Epic 4G

Journeyman

Dear Sprint,

When will the FROYO update be pushed to the Epic 4G?

Thanks,

Phil

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: Find and update the software version on your Samsung Epic 4G

excellent question phil, i read the latest rumor is end of february, can anyone confirm this date 

There is still no official word on the release of the froyo update for the Samsung EPIC.

Journeyman

Define Official in this case.  In a consumer's eyes, official is anyone working for Sprint, which in my case, said the update would come in a couple months (when I bought the phone in the beginning of Jan).  Other's were told by Sprint employees in September.  I for one will be holding the company to their word that they told me, or else I will consider it a breach of the condition for the sale, and under implied warranty laws, find the company in breach or their side of the sale and contract and began the process for a lawsuit (false advertising and not delivering a properly configured product).

To me it's more about the principle.  If any company representative promises something, then it's up to the company to make good on that promise.  I've seen companies held liable to that from Temp agencies, to fast food, retail, and even car dealerships.

Journeyman

Any word on the Froyo Update for Samsung Epic?

Journeyman

I am agree with you .. Got mine Epic on Feb19 and was promised that update to Froyo 2.2 will be on Feb 21 ... did not even got notice of update from over the air .. Someone in this company should be responsible .. I  had choices and could end up with much cheaper Android model of phone with 2.2 on it but was pushed by sales person to the Epic 4G more costly unit with impression that update coming ...

Journeyman

odessatucha wrote:

I am agree with you .. Got mine Epic on Feb19 and was promised that update to Froyo 2.2 will be on Feb 21 ... did not even got notice of update from over the air .. Someone in this company should be responsible .. I  had choices and could end up with much cheaper Android model of phone with 2.2 on it but was pushed by sales person to the Epic 4G more costly unit with impression that update coming ...

Welcome to Sprint and Samsung.  I was given the same assurances back last year that the phone would be on Froyo by the end of September.  Apparently Sprint sales people have carte blanche to lie.

I have had 5 samsung phones in a row.  I have 3 Samsung TVs, but between Sprint and Samsungs "support" of both the Moment and the Epic, I may be entirely done with future Samsung purchases.   Quite disappointing. I just bought a blu-ray player and I made dang sure it was not a Samsung.

odessatucha wrote:

Maybe you should read some of the other posts here. The update WAS released on Feb 21st. However due to some issues caused by the OTA update, it was stopped. Up until about a week ago you could download the update directly from the Samsung web site too. Lots of people with the Epic have 2.2 with no problems. If you search, there are still places to download it if you don't want to wait for them to re-release it. Most of the problems it caused are minor and can be easily fixed by following instructions found in posts here.

Journeyman

I downloaded already the Froyo 2.2  file on my computer from samsung website  last week but not sure if I should do update or not with all bugs in it .. Or wait for the Nexus S 4G ?? I am still under 30 days warranty to exchange and may do so if the Nexus S 4G with nice 2.3 gingerbread will come to Sprint by March 19..

Journeyman

Some folks replied that they consider the lack of update to 2.2 a breach of contract.  Actually, somehow I doubt that.  Yes, it is very frustrating not having Froyo 2.2 (and now should we just get the 2.3?)  However, the EPIC IS a great phone, nevertheless.  With the update, it will be even better, but can people really complain about the quality of the phone?  I have never gotten so much out of the phone (JetFlicks airing about 100 tv programs past and present, all seasons) (Old time radio programs) (great texting).  I have MORE of a problem with SPRINT TV which hasn't improved in years - it is still about the same quality as when it was first introduced some five years ago... kinda crappy.  JetFlicks is CLEAR, great sound, and no glitches in the picture, and worth the some 40 a year subscription fee.  Old Time Radio app is very cool (of course ya gotta like this, but I get a kick outta listening to the same programs my grandparents listened to... dozens and dozens of programs).  So much I do like about this phone - especially the clear and brilliant screen, altho' the physical keyboard is awkward at best, and as I was told, most people will opt for a virtual keyboard - android, Swipe or download).  Yep, I do wish the updates were forthcoming; more so, wish the Sprint TV were revamped.  I do more with my cell phone than ever I did with any other device, and much is entertainment. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat