cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix for GPS issues on Epic 4G

Highlighted
Patron

Fix for GPS issues on Epic 4G

I just got my Epic 4G - upgraded from the Samsung Moment.

I use (or at least used to!) my GPS a lot - especially with Google Places - to find things that are nearby.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a *major* GPS bug with the Epic 4G that sets its accuracy level to within 30m/98.4feet - so with my Epic 4G, it thinks I am on a different street when I am home - while with the Moment - it knew/knows exactly where I am located down to the street address.

Is Sprint and/or Samsung aware of this?  There are many people complaining on the Internet of this problem.

Is there a fix coming out for it?  Does it get fixed with 2.2.x Froyo?

I'm desperately needing the GPS to be more "reasonably" accurate on my Epic 4G.  It's a major problem - while I love the rest of the phone.

1 REPLY 1
Journeyman

Re: Fix for GPS issues on Epic 4G

TTORIMOTO wrote:

I just got my Epic 4G - upgraded from the Samsung Moment.

I use (or at least used to!) my GPS a lot - especially with Google Places - to find things that are nearby.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a *major* GPS bug with the Epic 4G that sets its accuracy level to within 30m/98.4feet - so with my Epic 4G, it thinks I am on a different street when I am home - while with the Moment - it knew/knows exactly where I am located down to the street address.

Is Sprint and/or Samsung aware of this?  There are many people complaining on the Internet of this problem.

Is there a fix coming out for it?  Does it get fixed with 2.2.x Froyo?

I'm desperately needing the GPS to be more "reasonably" accurate on my Epic 4G.  It's a major problem - while I love the rest of the phone.

1)  This is a well known bug -- except to Samsung and Sprint, who deny the existence of any GPS problems on the Epic.  And there are anecdotal reports that the bogus, hard-coded 30.0-meter estimate of accuracy you found is corrected in the leaked Froyo beta being tested.   (Also, note that the bug is in the estimated accuracy reported by the GPS.  The actual accuracy is not bad.)  That's the good news.

2) The bad news is that Problem 1) above is the least serious of the GPS bugs on the Epic.  Far worse is a bug that shows itself over time, as the time-sensitive GPS cache data becomes stale.  Then, unless the cache is cleared deliberately or accidentally, the GPS will fail to get a satellite lock at all.  For details, and a workaround, see this thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/42804?tstart=30

The accuracy problems you see in your nav app is probably a sign that you have no good satellite lock.  Download the free version of GPS Test by Chartcross Ltd. from Market and see how many satellites are seen and how many are used.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat