cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Froyo is Out so......

Highlighted
Journeyman

Froyo is Out so......

One of my coworkers just came from the Sprint store with a new Samsung Epic and it has Froyo on it.  When do the rest of us get the upgrade?????

56 REPLIES 56
Highlighted
Master

Android 2.2 Froyo has not been released by Samsung/Sprint yet. There have been leaks of development versions of the software that have serious issues, but a final, more stable version has not been released yet. More likely your coworker has loaded one of these unofficial versions that has serious issues, or you are mistaking Android 2.1 and 2.2 codenames.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The leaked release of 2.2 is very stable. With the devs at XDA it is working great. There was a few bugs when they first got it but it is now completely stable. I haven't decided if I'm putting it on my phone yet, I am doing help videos for the Epic now so I want to be the same as who I am helping but it is froyo so...

Journeyman

Thought you'd be interested in this story:

http://www.androidcentral.com/canadian-galaxy-s-phones-get-froyo-update-news

Canadian Galaxy S phones get Froyo update news

Posted on Thursday, Nov 18, 2010 by Jerry Hildenbrand

Samsung Mobile Canada has announced via Facebook that "Android 2.2 will be released for Vibrant from Bell and Captivate from Rogers in mid-December, and for the Fascinate from TELUS in early 2011. We’ll post further details as they become available."

You can call that good news, or bad news, but at least we have a time frame.  Still no new word for any of the US Galaxy S phones, which will likely depend on the individual carrier.  We're watching and waiting, too.  To our Canadian readers -- pass the time in the forums with the rest of us waiting for the elusive update.  [ Samsung Mobile Canada via MobileSyrup]

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) I'm not wrong...

2) It's ON HIS PHONE FROM SPRINT...  He hadn't had the phone for 20 minutes when I made the original post.  He got it like this from the Sprint Store across the road.  And he's not the kind of person to install something like that.

3) The rest of us who have one want it.....

So.... where are the goods?????

Highlighted
Journeyman

If that is the case, there is no reason the rest of us shouldn't have it.

Or, somehow the Sprint reps rooted it, installed 2.2 and didn't take it off. Having some fun at the Sprint store reps?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint obviously has some beta copies of some Froyo build availble to selected employees for testing.  (Some beta tester somewhere leaked a copy, which is where the leaked ROM on xda forums comes from.)

My guess is that one of those phones got sold to a retail customer by mistake.

BTW, there are at least two beta versions floating around out there.  What version of the build does your friend's phone show under Settings -> About phone?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Talk is cheap... upload video proof that includes firmware version and then people may actually believe you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been patient with regards to the Froyo 2.2 update, going along with the Galaxy S Support Group's Tweets at http://twitter.com/#!/GalaxySSupport stating that the Galaxy S phones, including the Epic, would receive it's 2.2 update by the end of the year.  In the last couple of days however I have seen Tweets from them to customers stating that they "should" receive the 2.2 upgrade by the end of the year.  Now, by adding the word "should" to the Tweets, could lead someone to believe that we could be into next year when we see the Froyo upgrade.  Or, would we skip Froyo now and move right to Gingerbread.  I believe we should get some kind of answer as purchasers of Samsung's flagship phones, and one of only two currently offered on Sprint with 4G.  I am a very patient person... to a point.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well folks you're not going to like this story:

http://androidandme.com/2010/11/phones/some-samsung-galaxy-s-phones-will-not-see-android-2-2-till-20...

Some Samsung Galaxy S phones will not see Android 2.2 till 2011

Taylor Wimberly on Nov 18 at 3:48 pm

That was the question I asked back in July when Samsung announced the Galaxy S series of phones in New York and told us that providing the Android 2.2 update was a priority. At first we expected Samsung would deliver the update in September, but here we are in mid-November and still nothing.

A lot of us are excited about the pending release of Android 2.3, but the reality is that only 36% of us are lucky enough to run Android 2.2 while the majority are still on the older Android 2.1. Over three million of those stuck on Android 2.1 are customers in the U.S. who purchased the Galaxy S.

We still don’t have any official release dates for the software update on U.S. carriers, but Samsung Mobile Canada just told their customers via Facebook that some models like the Captivate and Vibrant would see Android 2.2 in mid-December and others with the Fascinate would see it in early 2011.

I’m sure that Samsung Mobile US is fully aware many people are eagerly waiting for the software update (per all the angry comments on their Facebook page), but they still have been mysteriously quiet about providing any kind of timeline for the roll-out.

Some have speculated that Samsung might skip Android 2.2 altogether and go straight to Android 2.3 on the Galaxy S, but I have seen no evidence to support this. It might go a long way in upgrading their reputation when it comes to software updates, but I’m having a hard time believing that will actually happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/11/20/samsung-galaxy-s-android-2-2-update-not-coming-until-next-year-f...

The Samsung Galaxy S has been a successful phone for Samsung as they’ve gone from being an also-ran in the Android market to major player. But – most of their phones are still running Android 2.1, and you might be waiting a while for Android 2.2 According to a Facebook update from Samsung Canada – the Samsung Captivate and Vibrant will see an update to Android 2.2 this year, while the Fascinate will not get the Android 2.2 update until next year.

The Captivate and Vibrant are the models offered by T-Mobile and AT&T, while the Fascinate is currently being offered by Verizon. No word on the Epic 4G (probably because that’s a Sprint exclusive and Samsung Canada doesn’t know/care about that). Remember that the Galaxy S was announced just days after Android 2.2 was announced by Google. At the time, commentators on this blog criticized me for criticizing Samsung for shipping a new phone with an outdated version of the Android OS. At the time, I decided the commentators were right and it was okay to cut Samsung a break – since the update had just been announced days before.

The Galaxy S has to be one of the most popular Android phones on the market in the US, with some 3 million units sold in the country. We all know how touchy Android fans are when they don’t get their latest Android update on-time, so it looks like Samsung is risking public opinion by being slow to update this stuff. AndroidandMe reports that some have suggested that Samsung could go to Android 2.3, skipping Android 2.2, but AndroidandMe editor and Android journalist extraordinaire Taylor Wimberly says that he hasn’t heard anything like that.

It’s no secret that Samsung wants to be a major player in Android devices. But, if they don’t update their devices quickly, the Android community can turn against them, no matter how well their phones/tablets are made (see, Sony Ericsson and the critically acclaimed Xperia X10 which had Android 1.6 for way too long).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea this is completely crazy, 2.3 is almost out (well rumor has it we should expect 2.3 out before the end of the year, yet Samsung hasn't even received 2.2 on Sprint. I became so impatient I returned my epic and got the G2, rocking 2.2 right now with blazing speeds unfortunately on a not so great network.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat